USB not recognized

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I just noticed something.

Now grant I have a G80. But the usb in my console is power only. Not data.

The only data usb is in the front pocket where the qi charger is.

Does the G90 have two USB ports? Perhaps one is power only.
I think you may be on to something. Bobs-G90, which port are you inserting the usb stick into?
1. The one in the wireless charging compartment or
2. The one in the center armrest.

waveman

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Alabama
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I think you may be on to something. Bobs-G90, which port are you inserting the usb stick into?
1. The one in the wireless charging compartment or
2. The one in the center armrest.
It's true that the USB port in the center armrest only provides power for recharging. I was disappointed when I realized this, as I wanted to put my iPod there, leaving the front compartment free to recharge my phone wirelessly. BTW, I used a USB stick before the iPod and all the files were AAC-encoded.

pa-g80-ownr

Hasn't posted much yet...
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My G80 Sport will play .m4a audio files via USB. It won't play .flac files though. I haven't been able to get an acceptable answer from Genesis as to why it won't.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
My G80 Sport will play .m4a audio files via USB. It won't play .flac files though. I haven't been able to get an acceptable answer from Genesis as to why it won't.
Because they chose not to support it? What would you consider an acceptable answer?

pa-g80-ownr

PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The G80 Sport that I took on a test drive was able to play and copy flac files but the one I purchased won't. I've been told by Genesis regional rep. 1) the owners manual is wrong, and the G80 doesn't support flac files, then 2) You have the premium audio system, only the non-premium audio systems will play flac files. My initial conversation with Genesis Customer Care and Harman/Lexicon both confirmed that the system on the G80 Sport is supposed to play flac files. When I took it to the dealer they talked to Hyundai technical and were told it doesn't. Why then did the G80 Sport I test drove play flac files ? Did Genesis only build one G80 Sport that plays flac files?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The G80 Sport that I took on a test drive was able to play and copy flac files but the one I purchased won't. I've been told by Genesis regional rep. 1) the owners manual is wrong, and the G80 doesn't support flac files, then 2) You have the premium audio system, only the non-premium audio systems will play flac files. My initial conversation with Genesis Customer Care and Harman/Lexicon both confirmed that the system on the G80 Sport is supposed to play flac files.
We would have understood had you mentioned this in the first post. Only a few cars play flac files right now so it was not a surprise that yours did not. OTOH, if it is supposed to, it should.

pa-g80-ownr

PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
From the DIS Navigation System / Owner's Manual page 16:

MP3 file Information
• Sampling frequency: 8 ~ 48 KHz (MP3), 22.5
~ 48 KHz (WMA), 8 ~ 192 KHz (FLAC)
• Bit rate: 8 ~ 320 Kbps (MP3), 20 ~ 320 Kbps
(WMA), 8 Kbps ~ 1.6 Mbps (FLAC)
• Version: v2, v7, v8, v9.
• Playable file format: “.mp3”/ “.wma”/ “.flac”

Gene2

Been here awhile...
Glendale,AZ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
My 2018 G90 does not have a USB port in the center arm rest. Has one in the phone charging
compartment which is input for USB. Only other USB port is in the rear arm rest and that is
power only. No input from rear USB port.

Starflyer

Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I just noticed something.

Now grant I have a G80. But the usb in my console is power only. Not data.
JUST what I wanted! While Apple Car Play is a great feature, sometimes I don't want it popping up. For example, if I want to use Waze, I have to fiddle around because as soon as I plug-in my IPHONE, car play pops up. With this power port I didn't even know about, I can power my iPhone and not have Apple Car Play pop up.

THANKS

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
My 2018 G90 does not have a USB port in the center arm rest. Has one in the phone charging
compartment which is input for USB. Only other USB port is in the rear arm rest and that is
Correct. I forgot that I had just plugged in a dual USB adapter and I now have two power ports in my armrest. Power only of course.

Franco59

Houston
Gene2, thought there was a usb port in the center armrest but it has usb adapter that plugs in to one of those two power ports there.

tomwho7

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
ipod is a computer, it holds the database of the songs and allows for easy sorting, easy filtering, and easy add/remove/play via those filters, it also is the player, therefore format is irrelevant, as long as the iPod can accept the format, it can play it, wma, mp4, mp3, aac, etc.

if it has a connection to the internet, it will allow direct download of songs from iTunes,

the USB stick is nothing more than a storage device, and the cars head unit becomes the player/computer, and depending on the car and its audio capabilities/programming will depend on what format can be played, as the OP has found out, not all car manufacturers allow/use the same audio file formats. Since there really is no true universal format that all devices can play, it is up to the manufacturer of the device to determine what they want to program.

using an iPod avoids all of this because the iPod, while it still has some limitations, is the computer handling the audio files and playing them, the car head unit becomes nothing more than the amplifier at this point passing the music from the device into the speakers, most modern cars have some basic programming that then allow you to use your steering or touch screen controls to access the iPod, however all that is truly happening is your head unit is being a remote control for the iPod, the iPod is still doing all the work.
I use my phone a lot. Plays lots of formats sorted by group and album.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.