USB Port Won't Charge My iPhone

phil1924

Registered Member
Have a 2015 Genesis and plugged by iphone 6 into the USB port located in the slide-open area in the front of the console. It mentions ipod on the screen and then says No Files available. All I want to do is charge my cell phone - what is going on?
Thanks-

jsmit86

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Elgin, IL
There is no reason an iphone 6 won't charge when connected to a properly working USB port with a functioning USB cable.

Try a 12v socket with USB adapter and a Apple Certified cable. If it charges, then check by plugging that cable into the USB port on the Genesis. If your phone does not charge then, make an appointment for service to get the USB port fixed.

I have seen at least one report of this issue that was fixed by servicing the car.

Man of Mystery

Registered Member
I believe the USB port on the 2015 Genesis models is only a data port. It is not designed to provide enough power to be used for charging or powering anything connected to it.

markpoisson

Registered Member
I believe the USB port on the 2015 Genesis models is only a data port. It is not designed to provide enough power to be used for charging or powering anything connected to it.
My USB port definitely charges iPhones. I have an Android but most of my family has iPhones. I have had the same charging cables for mine for YEARS whereas the iPhone cables constantly stop working. Not sure why but it is an expensive problem, especially with 4 iPhones in the family.

circuitest1

Hasn't posted much yet...
We have followed the recommendations posted in other threads, and have purchased a USB adaptor for the cigarette lighter. We have no problem charging an Iphone 5S with the adaptor (2015 genesis).

srobak

Supporting Member
Chicagoland
This is not accurate. Charges my Note5 and my wife's Iphone6 just fine.

Man of Mystery

Registered Member
On page 2-22 thru 2-23 of the multi-media guide for the 2015 Genesis it says:

- The use of USB device for purposes other than playing music and image files is prohibited.

- Do not use the USB I/F to charge batteries or USB accessories that generate heat. Such acts may lead to worsened performance or damage to the device.

- The device may not operate normally If MP3 Players, cellular phones, digital cameras, or other electronic devices (USB devices not recognized as portable disk drives) are connected with the device.

- Charging through the USB may not work for some mobile devices.

Rloyola0426

Registered Member
Chino, CA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I've used the USB port to charge my iPhone 6s. It does charge it, however it's really really slow. It's better to get an actual cigarette lighter adapter to charge as it's much faster. Unless of course you're driving across country and have all the time in the world.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Make sure you have an Apple cable, as after-market cables may be disabled by the iPhone (the iPhone 6 or higher can detect whether the cable is Apple or after-market).

jaxsully

Hasn't posted much yet...
Sunny FLorida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I've used the USB port to charge my iPhone 6s. It does charge it, however it's really really slow. It's better to get an actual cigarette lighter adapter to charge as it's much faster. Unless of course you're driving across country and have all the time in the world.
Agree with this statement. I have also noticed that it will only work with certain lightening cables that I have, even though those cables work everywhere else.

jsmit86

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Elgin, IL
I'd still get it checked out. I also have an iPhone 6. It charges fine on the USB port.
If you have the 8" screen, you'll need to use the cable to the USB to utilize CarPlay.

Have the dealer check it. If they tell you nothing is wrong, check out another Genesis to verify that.

the.tru.albertan

Getting familiar with the group...
Genesis Model Type
This thread got bumped but I feel the need to chime in here.

My previous car, a 2014 Kia Optima, charged my iphone 5s and iphone x very, very slowly. The phone would show it was charging but it was so slow, it was barely noticable. In fact, if you drove with google maps/gps on, the battery bar would actually go down even with it charging...

I remember reading a thread about this on the Optima forums. There wasn't enough wattage to charge the phone while it was in use.

The Aux/USB ports are the same between Hyundai and Kia so I'm assuming the juice is the same.

Anyway, I bought a 12v slim adaptor that's specifically for iphone. My Genesis charges my iphone x insanely fast. I have never tried the USB port on this car tho as I haven't needed to.

12v power to charge. Bluetooth to link media. That my friends is a beautiful thing.

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type
Last edited:

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.