• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Used purchase of 2010 3.8 Sedan Help

Keats

Hasn't posted much yet...
Hi All,

Glad to find this forum and I'm hoping to get some advice on moving forward with this purchase (or not?). I have two days left on a seven day, no questions asked, 100% money back return policy through the online concierge service Shift.com.

Found a 2010 3.8 Sedan with Premium and Navigation Packages at 76,000 miles for $13,350. Only a few scrapes and bruises on the exterior, and it runs strong and straight. To me, it looks good and drives in tip top shape. Service records show dealership oil changes every 7500 miles, 60,000 mile service done, and VIN is up to date on Service Recalls and Recommendations. Shift.com had the alignment done.

I did have a post purchase inspection done and discovered the following:

-Left steering boot appears to have a slow leak. Shift did note this in their in-house inspection as "seepage with no current work required." Independent tech told me that this inevitably will progress over time (no telling how long), and that it would require replacing the power steering rack at some point (local Hyundai quote of $1663).
-Driver's side of valve cover shows oil stains which tech believes is evidence of a slow leak as well. Shift made not note of this. If it is, it's a $600 Hyundai service.
-Front brakes at 30%, rear at 50%. $111-$307 for front brakes-brakes and rotors.
-Air filter replacement needed at $78.

As experienced owners, do any of you have thoughts or advice on this purchase?

I appreciate any guidance you can provide.

Thanks,
Keats

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
There are better buys out there, given all the problems you've identified. Why buy a car with zero warranty? Find a nice '13 with a CPO warranty, or at least one with under 50,000 miles on the odo.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I would get them to fix the boot at the dealer, or walk away.

Not sure about the oil leak. I would check it yourself to see if it changes over time during the 7 day test drive. Might be a problem.

Brake pads wear out and need to be replaced eventually, although you may never have to replace the rears. That is not a defect in the car.

You can change the engine air filter or the cabin filter yourself for about $25 each. Needing to change a filter is not a defect in the car. Just buy the part at the Hyundai Parts Department at a dealer and search on YouTube for instructions (or this forum).

Bill K

Registered Member
Chicagoland
You have to remember that without a warranty, the Genny can be an expensive car to own.........Navigation and Lexicon $3,000....Transmission $10,000....Engine ??????

Remember....It's a six year old car without a warranty.

Keats

Thanks for the advice all. Good points across the board.

I will see discuss them taking a good haircut and look into an extended warranty. Without both, and since I'm near the top of my budget, I will move on.

Any advice on third party extended warranty companies?

Thanks again,

-Keats

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Thanks for the advice all. Good points across the board.

I will see discuss them taking a good haircut and look into an extended warranty. Without both, and since I'm near the top of my budget, I will move on.

Any advice on third party extended warranty companies?

Thanks again,

-Keats
Probably, the suggestion about an extended warranty was the Hyundai Platinum Protection Plan warranty. But not sure your car is still eligible for that, and it would be expensive for a car of that age, and you would have to fix any existing conditions.

Most of the third party warranties that would take your car for a reasonable price are probably not very reputable, and will do everything they can to avoid a claim.

Keats

Probably, the suggestion about an extended warranty was the Hyundai Platinum Protection Plan warranty. But not sure your car is still eligible for that, and it would be expensive for a car of that age, and you would have to fix any existing conditions.

Most of the third party warranties that would take your car for a reasonable price are probably not very reputable, and will do everything they can to avoid a claim.
Thanks,
That's what my quick research is telling me too. I think I'll put that on forum as a separate question.
-Keats

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Keep in mind that when you purchase an extended warranty the the issuer normally inspects your car. If they find mucho problems, they are not going to give you a warranty. Besides, you are going to pay through the nose for a warranty on a car with 70,000+ miles

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums