V6 Twin Turbo replacing V8 next year?

GenesisNikon

Registered Member
Word is Hyundai will replace the current V8 with V6 Twin Turbo. Whether it goes into G90 (Equus) first or both G90 and G80 is up to debate. I believe the V6 TT is 390 HP.

Anyone else hear the same rumors?

I'm guessing with V6 TT gas mileage should improve

balfor

Registered Member
CA
It probably will replace the V8, sign of the times as most V8s are being replaced by smaller turbo engines. A bit sad really, I have a soft spot for the V8's ever since my 1979 Z28 with a 350 chevy.

Nikgen

Been here awhile...
Word is Hyundai will replace the current V8 with V6 Twin Turbo. Whether it goes into G90 (Equus) first or both G90 and G80 is up to debate. I believe the V6 TT is 390 HP.

Anyone else hear the same rumors?

I'm guessing with V6 TT gas mileage should improve

Not Rumors - It's fact that a TT V6 will be offered:

https://www.genesismotorsusa.com/#/vehicledetails

The G90 will be available with both the 5.0 Tau V8 as well as a a 3.3L Twin Turbo V6 with 365 hp!

Midnightsun

Been here awhile...
Montreal, Canada

Nikgen

Been here awhile...

jsmit86

Registered Member
Elgin, IL
Not Rumors - It's fact that a TT V6 will be offered:

https://www.genesismotorsusa.com/#/vehicledetails

The G90 will be available with both the 5.0 Tau V8 as well as a a 3.3L Twin Turbo V6 with 365 hp!

According to the link above

G80
Either 3.8L V6, or 5.0L V8

G90
Either 3.3L TT V6, or 5.0L V8.

If this is accurate, the V8 does not go away. The 3.3L V6 TT is the smaller option in the G90. It does not look like the 3.8L will be offered in the G90.

Midnightsun

Been here awhile...
Montreal, Canada

kn5owa

Sustaining Member
Could be - but the USA Genesis site still shows the G80 as coming in 3.8 V6 and 5.0 V8 variants. Time will tell!

I hope you're right - my genny just got bashed by hail and the G80 V8 when, and if, it is offered looks like the closest replacement, if I should go that route. They're also talking turbo, though. need that like a second sunroof (which was also destroyed by hail).

Hyundai is going all out to promote trademark confusion (and engine confusion) - they need to put out a purchasing app.

Genentec

Registered Member
u question the longevity of a turbo engine. and it will eventually give off 24mpg anyways. same chit as the v6. this is a useless move.

they should put a hybrid engine in there, 35mpg all day, 32k price tag on a full size good looking sedan will sell IMO

Genentec

Registered Member
hail should be covered under your car insurance...but either way it will be a repainted car

I hope you're right - my genny just got bashed by hail and the G80 V8 when, and if, it is offered looks like the closest replacement, if I should go that route. They're also talking turbo, though. need that like a second sunroof (which was also destroyed by hail).

Hyundai is going all out to promote trademark confusion (and engine confusion) - they need to put out a purchasing app.

MikeyTG

Registered Member
Joisey
I think smaller engines with pressurized intakes are taking over because of better mpg. If they want to take it up a notch Hyundai should supercharge instead of turbocharge. Design it as part of the engine to eliminate the belt. No lag, and they can sound mean too!

Jaeger

Registered Member
No

G80 will have 3.8 and 5.0

G80 will have 3.3 amd 5.0

this is what it going to be

I assume you meant G90 here but the same issue is engaged - performance will likely be close to on par so it begs the question of how they are differentiated to the buyer - as in why spend the (presumably) extra money for the V8 if the turbo 6 is as quick, costs less and gets better fuel economy?

Nikgen

Been here awhile...
I assume you meant G90 here but the same issue is engaged - performance will likely be close to on par so it begs the question of how they are differentiated to the buyer - as in why spend the (presumably) extra money for the V8 if the turbo 6 is as quick, costs less and gets better fuel economy?

Not as quick, but plenty quick:

For some reason, the URL link doesn't display this correctly but look here: "www.motorauthority.com/news/1101322_2017-hyundai-g90-revealed"

"As expected, the G90 is the first production model to feature Hyundai’s new twin-turbocharged 3.3-liter V-6 engine. Here, the engine delivers approximately 365 horsepower and 376 pound-feet of torque, which is enough for 0-62 mph acceleration in 6.2 seconds. Other engines on offer include an entry-level 3.8-liter V-6 with 311 hp and 293 lb-ft as well as a range-topping 5.0-liter V-8 with 420 hp and 383 lb-ft. The V-8 is clearly the quickest of the bunch, requiring just 5.7 seconds to reach 62 mph. Specifications for the United States will be announced closer to the market launch in 2016."

Midnightsun

Been here awhile...
Montreal, Canada
Cool thing about the turbo is there will be chip kits which will easily bring it up to and beyond the V8 for performance.

So easy to increase boost on turbos. My son in law chipped his Audi RS7 from 605 hp stock and is no pushing 740hp and 900 lbs of torque. Does the 1/4 in 10.4 at 134mph. Told him he needs to wear a helmet next time around because he is too fast. Broke the local track record for a production car. :eek:

Nikgen

Been here awhile...
Cool thing about the turbo is there will be chip kits which will easily bring it up to and beyond the V8 for performance.

So easy to increase boost on turbos. My son in law chipped his Audi RS7 from 605 hp stock and is no pushing 740hp and 900 lbs of torque. Does the 1/4 in 10.4 at 134mph. Told him he needs to wear a helmet next time around because he is too fast. Broke the local track record for a production car. :eek:

Actually the 3.3 TT is not too far off the 5.0 right out of the box:

"Only 60 hp less and 7 pound-feet of torque less than the 5.0. But the peak torque from the TT V6 is available between 1,300 and 4,500 rpm which I believe is a lower and broader curve than the 5.0 (which hits peak torque at 5000 RPM)?

srobak

Registered Member
Chicagoland

G90
Either 3.3L TT V6, or 5.0L V8.

This may pose a problem for me in a few years. I sure hope Hyundai changes things up before I am looking at a 2019 or so CPO G90. Otherwise it might be a deal breaker. I do NOT want to deal with the inherent troubles associated with turbos as they age. I have had 2 and I will not do another. I would honestly prefer to get the NA 3.8 in my G90 that I currently have in my G2.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums