Valve Rattle at Start up When Cold?

19G70

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I will be picking up my new G70 in a few weeks and absolutely cannot wait!! I currently drive a 2015 Hyundai Azera Limited that has been a great car. However, during cold starts, the Azera has lots of audible valve chatter for several seconds before the oil gets to the top end of the motor. The Azera has a 3.3 L V-6. Is the 3.3 T V-6 in the G70 the same basic motor that was used in the Azera? If so, has anyone noticed valve noise during cold starts? Thanks!

Soma

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
From what I've seen, I don't think its the same engine. Haven't heard any rattles on cold starts, but it definitely takes a minute for the car to get up to temp and quiet down a bit

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I will be picking up my new G70 in a few weeks and absolutely cannot wait!! I currently drive a 2015 Hyundai Azera Limited that has been a great car. However, during cold starts, the Azera has lots of audible valve chatter for several seconds before the oil gets to the top end of the motor. The Azera has a 3.3 L V-6. Is the 3.3 T V-6 in the G70 the same basic motor that was used in the Azera? If so, has anyone noticed valve noise during cold starts? Thanks!
Perhaps you could post a video to illustrate this rattle upon startup?

mikemu30

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
That 3.3l rattle is a well known issue and has been debated for years as to whether or not it's casing damage. I owned a 2014 Azera purchased brand new and it had the rattle from day one. I sold it with 70K on the clock.

MG8

Hasn't posted much yet...
3.3L lambda morning chatter is normal timing chain tensioner noise not going to damage engine. its actually common vehicles equip with chains make similar noise .

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I get a little bit of valve tap, specifically on the driver's side bank, when the engine is cold. It's not loud at all, and I only notice it because I have a very well trained ear for valve tap. When warmed up it's essentially gone.

I have not heard any abnormal timing chain noise on my engine whatsoever.

MG8

I get a little bit of valve tap, specifically on the driver's side bank, when the engine is cold. It's not loud at all, and I only notice it because I have a very well trained ear for valve tap. When warmed up it's essentially gone.

I have not heard any abnormal timing chain noise on my engine whatsoever.
[/QUOT
high pressure fuel pump noise maybe? timing chain tensioner noise sounds similar to a valve tap in moning on cold start up.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
high pressure fuel pump noise maybe? timing chain tensioner noise sounds similar to a valve tap in moning on cold start up.
This is definitely valve tap. Again, very very minor, but it's there. Warmed up it's gone, it's not a big deal, but I would adjust the clearance myself, but I don't want to go the hassle of measuring the current shims and ordering something thicker. If it had a rocker-arm type of valvetrain I'd adjust it in a heartbeat. I've got a lot of experience with stuff like that. Even so, I know it's within spec, I just like my valves on the tighter end of the normal value spectrum. I'm very OCD when it comes to engine building and internal clearances.

19G70

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks everyone! But does anyone know if the G70 3.3L derives from the 3.3L that was in the Azera, or is it an entirety different engine with only the 3.3L displacement in common?

MG8

Thanks everyone! But does anyone know if the G70 3.3L derives from the 3.3L that was in the Azera, or is it an entirety different engine with only the 3.3L displacement in common?
Yes it is the same lambda v6

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.