Valve Stem Caps

Rony1948

Hasn't posted much yet...
cleveland
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I purchased a set of valve stem caps off the Genesis website. Sharp looking black with the Genesis logo. Went to put air in my tires recently and the caps are frozen to the valve stem. It is at the dealer now and they may have to replace all four valve stems since they can't get the caps off. Since the valve stem contains the sensor they cost about $250 each. Anyone have this problem? There is no warning on the website that this is a possibility. Seems like Genesis should cover this cost.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I purchased a set of valve stem caps off the Genesis website. Sharp looking black with the Genesis logo. Went to put air in my tires recently and the caps are frozen to the valve stem. It is at the dealer now and they may have to replace all four valve stems since they can't get the caps off. Since the valve stem contains the sensor they cost about $250 each. Anyone have this problem? There is no warning on the website that this is a possibility. Seems like Genesis should cover this cost.
It's got something to do with the types of metal. You need to use something like dielectric grease for it to not sure up!

Don88

Getting familiar with the group...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Vancouver WA U.S.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I got some Genesis Valve Caps, forgot where. Gave mine a check-see after reading your post; all is OK here.

Ragnar

Been here awhile...
Bought a set a year or so and like you found they were stuck to the point I couldn’t get them loose using my hands , pliers were needed to remove them.
Luckily I had kept the original green caps and put them back on.

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
If these valve stem caps were the original OEM or installed by the dealer, IMO the manufacture or dealer should pay for the repair. The link posted at the start of the thread shows the valve stems caps are NOT Hyundai OEM which indicates they were replaced by the owner. IMO, if owner installed, the manufacturer nor dealer should be obligated to pay for the repair.

With a little bit of "elbow grease" these valve stems should be removable. I'd try some rust remover (PB Blaster, WD-40). Work the oil between the valve cap and stem. Carefully use pliers to remove, wrapping valve stem cap in a cloth or with tape. Also apply heat to the valve stem cap with heat gun or hair dryer. This will expand the metal and facilitate removal. As a last resort, use a cutting tool (i.e. Dremel) and cut the valve cap off. You may damage/destroy the cap, but be very careful about damaging the valve stem threads.

I'd question the honesty of your dealer wanting to repair by replacing all 4 valve stems/sensors for $1,000. A competent mechanic should be able to remove the valve stem caps without damaging/replacing the valve stem/sensors.

I have never had this issue on any car. I typically put a smidge of grease on the valve stem threads initially. Any grease type lubricant would work, but I'd recommend plumbers water proof grease.

I did buy the valve stems caps available from this forum. I recommend them if you need to replace yours. They are very nice looking and have an O-ring gasket to keep moisture/dirt out of the valve stem.

Last edited:

SuperKing

Registered Member
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, use some grease. When you put 2 different kinds of metal together, they're going to corrode and get stuck... I've had my alloy wheel get stuck to the hub a few times. Same issue.

Carol

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
If these valve stem caps were the original OEM or installed by the dealer, IMO the manufacture or dealer should pay for the repair. The link posted at the start of the thread shows the valve stems caps are NOT Hyundai OEM which indicates they were replaced by the owner. IMO, if owner installed, the manufacturer nor dealer should be obligated to pay for the repair.

With a little bit of "elbow grease" these valve stems should be removable. I'd try some rust remover (PB Blaster, WD-40). Work the oil between the valve cap and stem. Carefully use pliers to remove, wrapping valve stem cap in a cloth or with tape. Also apply heat to the valve stem cap with heat gun or hair dryer. This will expand the metal and facilitate removal. As a last resort, use a cutting tool (i.e. Dremel) and cut the valve cap off. You may damage/destroy the cap, but be very careful about damaging the valve stem threads.

I'd question the honesty of your dealer wanting to repair by replacing all 4 valve stems/sensors for $1,000. A competent mechanic should be able to remove the valve stem caps without damaging/replacing the valve stem/sensors.

I have never had this issue on any car. I typically put a smidge of grease on the valve stem threads initially. Any grease type lubricant would work, but I'd recommend plumbers water proof grease.

I did buy the valve stems caps available from this forum. I recommend them if you need to replace yours. They are very nice looking and have an O-ring gasket to keep moisture/dirt out of the valve stem.
I’ve been told that WD 40 freezes. Perhaps use penetrating oil.

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I’ve been told that WD 40 freezes. Perhaps use penetrating oil.
Almost any substance freezes at some temperature. Unless you are in the Artic/Antarctic you should be ok using WD-40.
WD-40 Freeze Point = -63˚ C ( -81.4˚ F)

WD-40 is a penetrating oil and water-displacement spray. It has the unique quality of being a lubricant and a solvent.
I would avoid getting it on your trim/paint. I hypothesize it is made from unicorn blood ;).

With vise grips, duct/k tape and WD-40 you can repair almost anything. A common saying is "If it’s not stuck and it’s supposed to be, Duct Tape it. If it’s stuck and it’s not supposed to be, WD-40® it.”.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.