Valve train sound?

Rey

Registered Member
Salem, OR
Valve train noise on a very cold start up is quite ordinary. The valves are actuated by hydraullc lifters filled with motor oil. These lifters have a natural drainage design so the oil can flow in and out of the lifter. After sitting overnight the lifters "drain down" somewhat, and it takes a bit of time for them to pump up again. Usually the noise will go away as the motor warms. Sometimes there is a design fault which allows the lifters to drain so much that the lifters are noisy on virtually any "cool" start. The BMW 3 liter six cylinder had this problem recently. BMW's recommended "fix" was to have the owners highly rev the motor for a minute or so to pump up the lifters. Finally, BMW has recognized the fault and replaced cylinder heads with a new design which retains more oil in lifters.
My own Tau makes some lifter noise on a cold start and much more when it is below 0F. The noise seems common to all lifters, so I have concluded that it is not a singular lifter or a couple that have failed. I can only hear the sound when outside the car. Inside with the windows rolled up it is silent. I have been messing around with autos for over fifty years, and I don't think my lifter noise is either abnormal or actionable. My guess is it will remain about like this over the life of the car and certainly over the life of warranty. However, should it begin to sound like a single lifter noise then I will pursue warranty action.
As for motor oil, I run Mobil 1 5-20. 5-20 is the weight that Hyundai recommends, though I have run 10-30 with no visible ill effect. I think Mobil 1 is a good choice for me. It is the factory fill for Corvette and Porsche. I have used it successfully in Hondas, BMWs, and Harleys. Mobil 1 has been around a long time, since early 70s if I recall correctly. It is readily available. There are other synthetics I recommend: Amzoil, RedLine, Royal Purple, but these are harder to find.

pianoshop

Hasn't posted much yet...
Chicago
Same Problem. I live in Florida so cold weather should not be a problem, but at 22K miles I started to hear the valve train daily in the morning at first startup -- only for a few seconds. Not bad but enough to pay attention to and make a mental note to take the car to the dealer to have it checked out.
Took the car to the dealer and left it there overnight -- rented the car for the day and they called me and said the sound it is normal. But it was not there before...!
Either they did not hear it because the car decided not to be noisy this one morning or it is a problem that Hyundai decided to ignore or it is not a problem.
I left the car there for another day to give them another try to hear the noise at startup.
Either way my love affair with Hyundai may be ending....
Sooo, the question to you is this, I do not mind living with the noise, but am I ruining the engine if I ignore it? Is there a possibility that I may get stranded someplace because I (and the dealer) did not "hear" the warning signs? Advice please...

pianoshop

Hasn't posted much yet...
Chicago
Same Problem. I live in Florida so cold weather should not be a problem, but at 22K miles I started to hear the valve train daily in the morning at first startup -- only for a few seconds. Not bad but enough to pay attention to and make a mental note to take the car to the dealer to have it checked out.
Took the car to the dealer and left it there overnight -- rented the car for the day and they called me and said the sound it is normal. But it was not there before...!
Either they did not hear it because the car decided not to be noisy this one morning or it is a problem that Hyundai decided to ignore or it is not a problem.
I left the car there for another day to give them another try to hear the noise at startup.
Either way my love affair with Hyundai may be ending....
Sooo, the question to you is this, I do not mind living with the noise, but am I ruining the engine if I ignore it? Is there a possibility that I may get stranded someplace because I (and the dealer) did not "hear" the warning signs?

ImInPA

Been here awhile...
A thin oil 0wAnything is going to be more prone to engine noises due to the thinner film left behind at cold start.The reason Hyundai recommends 5w30 is because 5 (cold viscosity) is sufficient to quiet the hydraulic lifters. 0 does not. There is absolutely nothing wrong or dangerous about using heavier weight oils such as 5w40. If anything, this may impact MPGs slightly.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.