3.3T Velossa Tech Snorkels

mez

Genesis G70
do the snorkels make any change in sound? I have an AEM intake and i don't love the sound. Do these make any difference when accelerating?

Vortex951

Registered Member
Genesis G70
do the snorkels make any change in sound? I have an AEM intake and i don't love the sound. Do these make any difference when accelerating?
What part about the intake sound do you not like?
These won’t make any change. It just helps funnel colder air to filters faster

Joho75287

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Upstate South Carolina
Genesis G70
I read through this thread and most of Toddasaurus' other threads (thanks for all the great info). I'm looking at a set of velossatechs (already have BMS intakes and some other goodies). Has anyone else gotten any data on pre/post install to see if its worth the $ (don't get me wrong I like the look of them, but also like some performance for my spend). Thanks!

FastEddie

“Did you check the safety manual?” -Yogi Bear
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Gilbert, AZ
Genesis G70
I read through this thread and most of Toddasaurus' other threads (thanks for all the great info). I'm looking at a set of velossatechs (already have BMS intakes and some other goodies). Has anyone else gotten any data on pre/post install to see if its worth the $ (don't get me wrong I like the look of them, but also like some performance for my spend). Thanks!
Mine are supposed to be here Monday and I will try to get some logs before and after. I’m sticking with the enclosed factory air box with K&N filters so no engine bay heat and hope that gets me more fresh air. Not that 110° heat here in Phoenix is that much cooler Than the engine bay.

Joho75287

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Upstate South Carolina
Genesis G70
Mine are supposed to be here Monday and I will try to get some logs before and after. I’m sticking with the enclosed factory air box with K&N filters so no engine bay heat and hope that gets me more fresh air. Not that 110° heat here in Phoenix is that much cooler Than the engine bay.
Thanks! I look forward to seeing your results. I found a good deal from someone who is trading in their g70 so I’m going to pull the trigger. It seems like the def can’t hurt...

FastEddie

“Did you check the safety manual?” -Yogi Bear
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Gilbert, AZ
Genesis G70
Installed my G70 specific VT snorkels a couple days ago. This system is more complicated than on the Stinger GT because our cars use radiator aero flaps that open and close under certain conditions (FSM states that they close when at "high speeds," though I don't know if it's only speed dependent, or if throttle position/load plays a role as well), and since you must remove the radiator shroud Velossa Tech had to come up with a way to fool the flap controller (aka AGS system) so you wouldn't get any CEL. It's pretty dang cool.

Here is where you can buy it: 2017+ Genesis G70 3.3T Dual BIG MOUTH Ram Air Intake Snorkels

Here is the kit....
View attachment 24943

I opted for grey ends to match my cars' paint color.
View attachment 24944

I decided not to document the install process because Dan @ Velossa Tech already made an excellent set of installation instructions complete with detailed pictures with each step. I will say, however, that one step of the installation is kind of annoying - after you remove the radiator shroud/AGS/flap assembly, you have to split it in half. The two pieces are held together by 5 screws, and several high tension clips. The clips are kind of annoying to undo, but once you figure it out it's not too bad. The rest of the installation is relatively easy, you just need to have some finesse when dealing with the bumper and all of the components.

Here are the pictures.....

All stock - bumper removed.
View attachment 24941

Snorkels installed - still bumperless
View attachment 24942

Bumper back on - you can barely see them....
View attachment 24945

And one more shot in the daylight....
View attachment 24946

Thoughts: So I decided to do some testing, comparing some before and after logs with my JB4. What I did was do 5-6 essentially back to back runs, from a stop all the way to the top of 3rd gear. I did the runs on the same stretch of road, and did it when the outside temperature was the same. The problem, however, was traffic. Specifically, when I did a run, I had to stop, pull a u-turn, and wait for traffic to get out of the way for me to be able to do another run. When I did my first set of logs, it was later in the day and traffic was minimal, so I the time inbetween runs was only a few seconds. When I did my logs again today, traffic was HORRID, and after doing runs I had to wait MUCH longer inbetween runs for traffic to clear. It turns out that this skewed my IAT's. The longer I'd sit between runs, the more heat soaked the engine and intercooler gets, and the higher the IAT's start out until driving fast cools them down. That said, my logs today showed notably higher IAT's for all the runs but the first run.

Even so, I'm seeing higher average boost pressures. Case in point, I never saw anything above 16 PSI on the OEM snorkel setup. With the Velossa Tech snorkels, I'm seeing a max of 17 PSI. Now I'm not always getting that high of boost, but I'm seeing consistently higher numbers with the VT snorkels.

Now, before we all assume that it's the snorkels that are definitely doing this, we have to consider the problem with the IAT's. I've read on the Stinger forum that higher IAT's actually makes the ECU allow more boost, while reducing ignition advance, whereas lower IAT's advance ignition while slightly reducing boost. I can only assume that this is the case here, as I'm seeing more boost paired with higher IAT's, along with less ignition advance. Now, when I compare the first runs of each where the IAT's are almost the same (2 degrees off of each other), I'm actually seeing more boost with the stock snorkels. But, I can't come to a conclusion with only one run. I need more data.

Conclusion: The VT Snorkels look awesome, and Velossa Tech makes excellent installation instructions along with a high quality product. The logic with these are sound, as outside air is funneled directly to the intake filters, instead of the convoluted stock snorkels that essentially lead to nowhere. One would think that this would decrease air temperature brought in by the intakes, and it would even remove restrictions. However, aside from having slightly louder induction noise, my testing is inconclusive at best. I'm seeing consistently higher boost pressures, but my IAT's are also higher; and my testing conditions were not as controlled as I wanted them to be. Not sure how to further test at this point? I may try my logging runs again tomorrow, with my fingers crossed that the temperature will be the same and the traffic less.
Todd,

How long did it take you to install them? Looks like about an hour maybe hour and a half

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis G70
Todd,

How long did it take you to install them? Looks like about an hour maybe hour and a half
Yeah, I'd say about an hour and a half or so. Mostly because I was documenting along the way and just trying to be careful.

Removing them and reinstalling the stock hardware took me, maybe 30 minutes.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis G70
BTW: I'll be selling mine very soon. If anyone wants a black and grey set for a nice discount then keep your eyes open in the classifieds section of this site. I'll also be selling all of my other upgrades.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis G70
BTW: I'll be selling mine very soon. If anyone wants a black and grey set for a nice discount then keep your eyes open in the classifieds section of this site. I'll also be selling all of my other upgrades.
Whaaaat? Say it ain't so Todd.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis G70
Yup. In fact, it's already a done deal.

:c

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis G70
Dang.... What are you picking up?

Not 100% sure yet.

Most likely will buy a beater Subaru really soon to both act as my winter/offroader/backup car. Then, I'll save up over the next year or two and probably get the new RS3 after it comes out.

mrcleeaan

Registered Member
Genesis G70
Not 100% sure yet.

Most likely will buy a beater Subaru really soon to both act as my winter/offroader/backup car. Then, I'll save up over the next year or two and probably get the new RS3 after it comes out.
Good deal sir. Priorities change and we have to do what's best for our situations. Hopefully you'll still stay active within this forum. Your feedback and support is invaluable.

And can I get first dibs on the aem intakes? 😁

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis G70
Yup. In fact, it's already a done deal.

:c
Noooooooooo! Say it isn't so!!!

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis G70
Not 100% sure yet.

Heh! You'll be back. Just watch. Suspect it will have an "N" in the name somewhere...

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis G70
Good deal sir. Priorities change and we have to do what's best for our situations. Hopefully you'll still stay active within this forum. Your feedback and support is invaluable.

And can I get first dibs on the aem intakes? 😁

Absolutely! Just shoot me a PM.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis G70
Heh! You'll be back. Just watch. Suspect it will have an "N" in the name somewhere...

As of right now I'm really soured and irritated with the brand.. But, like mentioned above, feelings and priorities change, so anything is possible. I think that Genesis would have to not only do something spectacular, but also bend over backwards and make up for how badly they screwed me over to regain my business.

I can't imagine them doing any of the above.

Still, I appreciate the members here, and I think that G70 owners are a really good group of people, one that I was very proud of being involved with. I'm sure I'll stick around the forum for at least a little while.

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis G70
As of right now I'm really soured and irritated with the brand.. But, like mentioned above, feelings and priorities change, so anything is possible. I think that Genesis would have to not only do something spectacular, but also bend over backwards and make up for how badly they screwed me over to regain my business.

I can't imagine them doing any of the above.

Still, I appreciate the members here, and I think that G70 owners are a really good group of people, one that I was very proud of being involved with. I'm sure I'll stick around the forum for at least a little while.
You've been through the ringer; I totally get how you feel. I'm on my fourth vehicle built by the folks in Ulsan, technically my first Genesis-branded car, but not the first with a Genesis badge, as odd as that may sound. They've generally treated me pretty well (which is not to say all the dealers have treated me well). I've found that if you step too far outside the lines at all though with modifications you're completely on your own. I bought a set of KDM headlights for my 2015 Genesis sedan (dual-HID, white DRLs), spent 2K on them and never could get them working quite right (granted I'm a "pay someone to do something" rather than a "tear it apart myself" person like yourself, unless it comes to PCs). At one dealership they had a Master tech from the KDM working onsite, and he was philosophically opposed to any modifications. I believe it's somewhat cultural, sort of a "Why would you change it to work improperly?" mindset.

Anyway good luck on whatever you decide. Your expertise and walkthroughs will be missed!

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums