Very Load Knock and Smoke on cold Start

Thread starter #1

Mandride

Hasn't posted much yet...
Guys I have done a pretty good job of papering my new Genesis, 4.6 only has 3k on it. Twice now when it starts it sounded like a Rod knocking on startup and Smoke rolling out of the exhaust. enought to fill the basement. After 10 to 15 seconds it cleared up. Anyone had or heard of this issue?

Guys I have done a pretty good job of papering my new Genesis, 4.6 only has 3k on it. Twice now when it starts it sounded like a Rod knocking on startup and Smoke rolling out of the exhaust. enought to fill the basement. After 10 to 15 seconds it cleared up. Anyone had or heard of this issue?
Is it happening after a normal drive ? Or after a 5 foot pull into the garage (basement?)? In other words, are you starting it after stopping it while cold?

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
Have dealer check it over and and leave it overnight for them to check in morning. I got a bad engine back in the 1989 one time in a new car. It happens. Manufacturer replaced complete engine and all was well and the car turned out to be one of the best we have ever had. The Genesis looks like it will be one our best also. BTW my 2011 4.6 has never made noise or smoked at any time, now have almost 22,000 miles on it.

There are various posts concerning a misfire. It also throws a code indicating misfire. However to my knowledge it has never happened at the dealership so they can't fix a problem that they can't replicate.

Some of the previous is Hyundai service speak but there is some logic to it. If they can't see it happening what are they supposed to do? Also people mention it basically happened once and not again.

Thread starter #5

Mandride

Thanks for the replies so far. This is froma Cold start it had stayed in my basement over night. Stays there beside my Audi to stay well protected. Any way it sat overnight and was cold start. Lots of Blue smoke which would make me thinnk it was Oil. My understanding is Gas is Black. This was a very lound mechanical knock and if you speed the engine rpms up it increased as well. It slowly decreased like lifters pumping up but was much louder than typical lifter noise. I would swear I could even feel the knock in the seat.

borregoguy

Registered Member
If you do a search on this site or the Kia Borrego site, you will fine that your problem is very similar to what several others are reporting. Your search should reveal that there is a TSB out about a ECU software up-grade to resolve the problem.
Good Luck,
Robert V

Car is in the Shop now we will see what they come ujp with.
I probably didn't make my question clear enough:

Are you parking the car after a normal (warm) drive? Or moving it at night a few feet after it's been sitting (cold)?

I ask because some owners here have created their own misfires by doing just that. Not saying you are too, just trying to rule out a possible cause.

Thread starter #9

Mandride

That is a good question, Came back from the shop and they couldn't find a issue. Typical. But in answer to your questions yes I did just move it in for the night, it was parked just outside the garage door so I literally only move it 1.5 car lenghts and turned it off. Likely ran for maybe 30 seconds if even that.

That is a good question, Came back from the shop and they couldn't find a issue. Typical. But in answer to your questions yes I did just move it in for the night, it was parked just outside the garage door so I literally only move it 1.5 car lenghts and turned it off. Likely ran for maybe 30 seconds if even that.
That's likely the cause then. There have been a few posters here that experienced the same thing. To never see it again isn't too hard:
Start it, wait 30 seconds then move it, wait 30 more seconds and turn it off.
Maybe a little longer in winter.
Not a tech, but you're creating unspent fuel/vapors trapped that cause the misfire at next start. Warming, even 1 minute instead 30 seconds should fix things.

Big Ben

My engine (4.6) knocks too with a cold start - this cannot be good. The mornings are cold now (30degF) here in Denver and it sounds like a diesel engine for a minute or so. I have not seen any smoke yet but had the engine light goes on. It has got to be more than fuel vapor-seems to me the oil pump is not doing the job to cover the upper part of the engine. Anybody seen a recall or heard anything from their dealership?

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
My engine (4.6) knocks too with a cold start - this cannot be good. The mornings are cold now (30degF) here in Denver and it sounds like a diesel engine for a minute or so. I have not seen any smoke yet but had the engine light goes on. It has got to be more than fuel vapor-seems to me the oil pump is not doing the job to cover the upper part of the engine. Anybody seen a recall or heard anything from their dealership?
Are you starting your engine, then turning it off after it only ran for a minute or so? That is what has been reported by owners on the forum....Basically make sure you warm it up a bit before shutting down again. If you are warming the engine enough, I'd go pay a visit to the dealer.

Big Ben

Are you starting your engine, then turning it off after it only ran for a minute or so? That is what has been reported by owners on the forum....Basically make sure you warm it up a bit before shutting down again. If you are warming the engine enough, I'd go pay a visit to the dealer.
I starting it in the morning to drive to work and then again to go home. No noise today but I parked inside the garage so it was warm. I am starting to think it has to do with where I park. Level surface=no noise; down hill slope and leaning to the passenger side=noise. I was following the manual for an oil change at 7500 miles but did not make it. The engine rattled badly and the light went on at 6000 miles. I had to add some oil in to top it back up. My local dealerership recommends every 3000 miles.

TJPark01

Been here awhile...
Hollywood, CA
The only time I have ever heard the 4.6 make any noise is as previous posters have mentioned, start the car and turn it off immediately, the next start a tapping noise is heard for maybe 5 seconds or so.
I asked the dealer about this and he said it's the timing chain making noise and is normal. FWIW, I changed to M1 0W-20 oil and have not heard the noise since. I don't know if it's the engine broken in, the oil or something else but it's gone away.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
As mentioned above, there several other threads on this subject with hundreds of posts.

It appears that if the 4.6 is not fully warmed up and then shut off, and then started again, some of the engine components (not sure if it is valves or something else) are not in the correct position for start-up (they get stuck), and the upon restart there is a violent reaction inside the engine. This is more likely to happen in cold weather, and as mentioned above it may be more likely to happen if car is parked on a sloped surface (for example, if designers assumed that gravity would cause components to slide into correct position for next startup). It might be less likely to happen if synthetic oil is used and oil flows better at cold temps, but that is speculation.

ayersco

Started my 09 last night after it sat a few days. Sounded like the engine was full or rocks - restarted three times and gave up after it was sounding like a 69 GTO with no oil. Had it towed to the dealer this morning, waiting for results.

Big Ben

Started my 09 last night after it sat a few days. Sounded like the engine was full or rocks - restarted three times and gave up after it was sounding like a 69 GTO with no oil. Had it towed to the dealer this morning, waiting for results.
Let us know what you find out. Did your yellow check engine light ever go on?

ayersco

Had a wonderful report from my "Service Tech Laura" - remember the car was towed because it didn't run and the service light was on - Laura said: At this time vehicle does not have any engine noise, yes the codes came up for P0300 random misfire / P030 misfire cyl #3 / P040 misfire cyl #4 / P060 misfire cyl #6 - Vehicle is not misfiring. - Recommend oil change to inspect aftermarket oil filter installation. - Performed oil service with mobil 1. - Filter was aftermarket but was approved to be of the correct materials. Cleared codes, started vehicle, no noise present and no misfires detected. operation is normal.

All I can say is WOW! what a crock of crap. I guess we're trying to avoid a recall.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.