• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Want better road feel? Reprogram the steering rack.

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Last edited:

Kraig Wilkinson

SUSTAINING MEMBER
New Jersey now live in South Dakota
Genesis Model Type
So I decided to experiment with reprogramming the steering rack yesterday. It has two modes- Lambda (mode C) and Tau (mode D). The sole difference between them is the amount of road damping performed by the servo- with Lambda being less. Less damping = more road feel, although in Hyundai's defense they got the "luxury feel" right for both models. I prefer to feel the road a little more in the wheel and this was perfect. The same amount of damping is deducted from the mode C's Sport mode, so I get the stiffer wheel with more road feedback.

LKAS still works but I haven't tested to see if torque demand is changed between the modes. Which, btw, I changed the LKAS programming to Korea and it does considerably better locking onto the lines than in US mode.
What menu allows for you to make such changes?

Kirk

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Sounds like you have access to some sort of module programmer. Similar to VAGComm in the VW/Audi world or Clarista for BMWs.

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type
Last edited:

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
So I decided to experiment with reprogramming the steering rack yesterday. It has two modes- Lambda (mode C) and Tau (mode D). The sole difference between them is the amount of road damping performed by the servo- with Lambda being less. Less damping = more road feel, although in Hyundai's defense they got the "luxury feel" right for both models. I prefer to feel the road a little more in the wheel and this was perfect. The same amount of damping is deducted from the mode C's Sport mode, so I get the stiffer wheel with more road feedback.

LKAS still works but I haven't tested to see if torque demand is changed between the modes. Which, btw, I changed the LKAS programming to Korea and it does considerably better locking onto the lines than in US mode.

Update: Don’t set LKAS to Korea. Anything other than NA or EU is LDWS only. Testing EU performance.

PS: These settings require a Hyundai GDS. A copy will work too.
Do you have the 3.8 model or 5.0 model?

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
I have noticed that my 5.0 steering feels bit heavy(over dampened). I "have" to use two hands on the steering wheel to take curves that I can easily use one hand on in other cars I have or used to own. However, while using both hands the steering feel and control is more stable at high speeds even if the steering feels very weighed down or "heavy" around town.

I may try adjusting the steering in my 5.0 as well and see if it feel "lighter". I like the steering to feel a bit over boosted so that I just use one hand effortlessly. However, light steering makes for a white knuckle experience when driving over 100mph. The heavier stock steering is set-up perfectly for 100+mph driving, but not for around town driving. I wish that could customize the steering feel for the different drive modes so that I could keep the steering heavy in Sport mode, and lighten up the steering in Normal and ECO modes.

Last edited:

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
This doesn't change the amount of "boost" the servo makes (it might boost very rapid movements more than in Tau mode), just the amount of "hold" it applies in the course of holding the wheel in a position. So when I'm driving down the road and not making much wheel movement, I get a little more feedback from the tires engaging the road surface. Input boost is proportionally reduced for speed (making it not twitchy) but I can really feel road reflectors or surface deformities now.
Thanks for the information. It would maybe be an bad idea for me to adjust the damping on my Tau 5.0 model due to how quick the car is and how I drive it on back roads. I should only use two hands anyway since my 5.0 is much quicker around corners than the cars I drive one handed. The car does feel pretty stable as is, so I will leave the steering setting as is even if I cannot drive it with just my pinky finger like I can with my Cadillac over-boosted steering rack.

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
This rack doesn't have enough torque to operate with only a finger's input. Would need a much beefier servo, capable of more than 130A of draw. (the stock rack only draws 78A peak or so)
Thanks again. I will just leave the steering as is. Having the steering too over-boosted is not really good for spirited driving anyway. The weighted(dampened) steering in the Genesis 5.0 is set-up pretty good for safe performance driving, even if it may be a bit heavy feeling and numb to road conditions.

Note: I was exaggerating about the Cadillac Escalade one finger steering effort. However, the steering is lighter than the Genesis and can be easily controlled with one hand even around corners without much effort. Yet, the Caddy is nowhere as near as quick or agile as the Genesis.

Last edited:
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums