• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Wax or Clear Coating

Bill Carson

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
What is everyone applying to their cars ... I went with Meguires Clay and Gold Class wax.

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Fgpalmer71

Getting familiar with the group...
I've been a Zaino fan for a decade. I've yet to find anything that works as easily or lasts as long. You can only get it from their site. It takes very little product as I'm still using the last batch of product I purchased 4 years ago....don't let the price throw you off.

Ggace

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I had Jade Quartz professionally installed on my car a few months ago. It's a warrantied 4 year ceramic coating. Underneath of course it was paint corrected, clay bar, buffed, waxed, & then sealed. I still do my routing washes & it is garage kept nearly always unless shopping or something. It was my first time ceramic coating any car & I will NEVER go without it again. I always waxed but now my standard detail is about 30 minutes max & I use maybe 3 small microfiber towers to dry. Water just hates the car.

Vermillion3

Been here awhile....
KY, USA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
No matter what coating you all have on your ride you’ll want to give P&S beadmaker a try. I am in no way shape or form associated with this stuff other than it is freaking awesome. After you wash your car wet or dry spray P&S Beadmaker on your car and then simply buff off. You’ll be left with a coating so slick it’s like a fresh coat of wax NO LIE. I takes 8 hours to fully cure, but when it does your luster and shine will be crazy. I had my Genny ceramic coated and always use beadmaker as a topper and it is insane how slick and great she looks. Don’t take my word for it quickly Robin to the inter web. You won’t be disappointed.

RCH04

Registered Member
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
No matter what coating you all have on your ride you’ll want to give P&S beadmaker a try. I am in no way shape or form associated with this stuff other than it is freaking awesome. After you wash your car wet or dry spray P&S Beadmaker on your car and then simply buff off. You’ll be left with a coating so slick it’s like a fresh coat of wax NO LIE. I takes 8 hours to fully cure, but when it does your luster and shine will be crazy. I had my Genny ceramic coated and always use beadmaker as a topper and it is insane how slick and great she looks. Don’t take my word for it quickly Robin to the inter web. You won’t be disappointed.
I've been using Bead Maker for a while and really like the product. I normally use it like a quick detailer and the results are impressive. I tried using a different product on top of it and got some streaking, Overall, pleased.

wallymn

Been here awhile...
MN
Does the clay bar brand matter? I pick up whatever bar is on sale. Really the clay is just clean up as long as it doesn’t leav residue the cheaper the better.

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I've used a clay bar for many years on multiple cars. I've only used Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay kit and not tried other brands. This works for me and it's readily available at your local "Wally world" store for about $16.00USD (includes a bottle of their Quick Detailer mist and 2 bars of clay). I generally use each bar twice and then discard. The clay will become noticeably darker/dirty as it's used.

Chemical Guys sell 4 clay bar "duty" types (light, light/medium, medium and heavy). The difference appears to be stickiness/abrasiveness.
Abrasiveness is relative. Order of magnitude from most gentle to most aggressive is clay bar, polishing agent, then sandpaper (+2000 grit). Properly used a clay bar is generally safe for most finishes. I've even clayed windows and it works amazingly.

The key to clay barring is ...
- Ensure surface is as clean as possible (no dust/pollen).
- Well lubricate area being clayed. IMO water works just as well as specialized solutions.
- Be gentle. Do not press hard or go fast (This is making love not wham bam thank ya mam kinda thing. ;))
- Do not excessively work edges and corners.
- Folder over/kneed clay while using. This will give a fresh clay surface and encapsulate the gunk removed.
- Finish off by rinsing with water or detailing/cleaning solution to remove remaining residue or any clay on the surface.
- If you drop the clay bar, discard it immediately. A single spec of dirt/sand will put nice scratch(es) in your paint.

Test your paint surface by putting your finger in a plastic freezer/sandwich bag and gently wiping across paint. If you feel resistance clay bar will help clean up the surface.

Last edited:
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums