Wax or Clear Coating

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis G70

Fgpalmer71

Getting familiar with the group...
I've been a Zaino fan for a decade. I've yet to find anything that works as easily or lasts as long. You can only get it from their site. It takes very little product as I'm still using the last batch of product I purchased 4 years ago....don't let the price throw you off.

Ggace

Registered Member
Genesis G80 Sport
I had Jade Quartz professionally installed on my car a few months ago. It's a warrantied 4 year ceramic coating. Underneath of course it was paint corrected, clay bar, buffed, waxed, & then sealed. I still do my routing washes & it is garage kept nearly always unless shopping or something. It was my first time ceramic coating any car & I will NEVER go without it again. I always waxed but now my standard detail is about 30 minutes max & I use maybe 3 small microfiber towers to dry. Water just hates the car.

Vermillion3

Been here awhile....
KY, USA
Genesis G80
No matter what coating you all have on your ride you’ll want to give P&S beadmaker a try. I am in no way shape or form associated with this stuff other than it is freaking awesome. After you wash your car wet or dry spray P&S Beadmaker on your car and then simply buff off. You’ll be left with a coating so slick it’s like a fresh coat of wax NO LIE. I takes 8 hours to fully cure, but when it does your luster and shine will be crazy. I had my Genny ceramic coated and always use beadmaker as a topper and it is insane how slick and great she looks. Don’t take my word for it quickly Robin to the inter web. You won’t be disappointed.

RCH04

Registered Member
Illinois
No Genesis Yet!
No matter what coating you all have on your ride you’ll want to give P&S beadmaker a try. I am in no way shape or form associated with this stuff other than it is freaking awesome. After you wash your car wet or dry spray P&S Beadmaker on your car and then simply buff off. You’ll be left with a coating so slick it’s like a fresh coat of wax NO LIE. I takes 8 hours to fully cure, but when it does your luster and shine will be crazy. I had my Genny ceramic coated and always use beadmaker as a topper and it is insane how slick and great she looks. Don’t take my word for it quickly Robin to the inter web. You won’t be disappointed.
I've been using Bead Maker for a while and really like the product. I normally use it like a quick detailer and the results are impressive. I tried using a different product on top of it and got some streaking, Overall, pleased.

wallymn

Been here awhile...
MN
Does the clay bar brand matter? I pick up whatever bar is on sale. Really the clay is just clean up as long as it doesn’t leav residue the cheaper the better.

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis G80 Sport
I've used a clay bar for many years on multiple cars. I've only used Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay kit and not tried other brands. This works for me and it's readily available at your local "Wally world" store for about $16.00USD (includes a bottle of their Quick Detailer mist and 2 bars of clay). I generally use each bar twice and then discard. The clay will become noticeably darker/dirty as it's used.

Chemical Guys sell 4 clay bar "duty" types (light, light/medium, medium and heavy). The difference appears to be stickiness/abrasiveness.
Abrasiveness is relative. Order of magnitude from most gentle to most aggressive is clay bar, polishing agent, then sandpaper (+2000 grit). Properly used a clay bar is generally safe for most finishes. I've even clayed windows and it works amazingly.

The key to clay barring is ...
- Ensure surface is as clean as possible (no dust/pollen).
- Well lubricate area being clayed. IMO water works just as well as specialized solutions.
- Be gentle. Do not press hard or go fast (This is making love not wham bam thank ya mam kinda thing. ;))
- Do not excessively work edges and corners.
- Folder over/kneed clay while using. This will give a fresh clay surface and encapsulate the gunk removed.
- Finish off by rinsing with water or detailing/cleaning solution to remove remaining residue or any clay on the surface.
- If you drop the clay bar, discard it immediately. A single spec of dirt/sand will put nice scratch(es) in your paint.

Test your paint surface by putting your finger in a plastic freezer/sandwich bag and gently wiping across paint. If you feel resistance clay bar will help clean up the surface.

Last edited:

BretL

Registered Member
Heber Springs, AR
Genesis G80
I clay bar once a year on all my vehicles with technique above. I'm not convinced on ceramics, just not sold on them. I use Ardex Miami Carnuba with Banana Oil Wax, then use the same brand Sealant. Very pleased with the results.

https://s173.photobucket.com/user/blpski/media/IMG_1896_zpsxvdz2k4e.jpg.html][/URL]

[/URL]]
[/URL]

[/URL]]
[/URL][/URL]

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis G80
I waxed my new G80 today using Meguiar's G18220 Ultimate Liquid Wax. Afterwards I was surprised how much dirt / grains I could feel on the surface. You would think a new car would have little if any build up. But then again it was built seven months so.

I broke out the clay bar & spray (Chemical Guys Clay Luber) and it cleaned up really nicely. Absolutely smooth as glass. I then laid down more wax and is looking great, feels great.

CVODON

Registered Member
Genesis G70
Clay bars have pretty much gone away. More pro's use washable clay mitts now. Biggest improvement is in the preparation is to use a Iron-X like product first, they are easy, just spray on, wait 3 - 5 minutes and rinse off. Your clay bar work labor will be alot less as almost all the contaminates are dissolved and washed away by the Iron-X. You can realistically clay MITT a G70 size car is 30 minutes or so. You need good lube, I recommend Car Pro Immolube mixed 1:10 with water as the bottle suggests.
I am suprised so many folks are still using wax on new cars. So much easier to use the actual Ceramic coatings and it lasts so much longer. If your going to the effort to decontaminate and clay bar, a ceramic should be your final step not a carnuba that washes away with soap & water.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis G80
Cvodon, I guess I'm behind times, I had never heard of a ceramic coating until this thread.

Is this something that a detailer has to do, or can it be self applied? I know I can Google it but maybe there's someone else reading this that would like to know.

Jgue

Genesis G70
Clay bars have pretty much gone away. More pro's use washable clay mitts now. Biggest improvement is in the preparation is to use a Iron-X like product first, they are easy, just spray on, wait 3 - 5 minutes and rinse off. Your clay bar work labor will be alot less as almost all the contaminates are dissolved and washed away by the Iron-X. You can realistically clay MITT a G70 size car is 30 minutes or so. You need good lube, I recommend Car Pro Immolube mixed 1:10 with water as the bottle suggests.
I am suprised so many folks are still using wax on new cars. So much easier to use the actual Ceramic coatings and it lasts so much longer. If your going to the effort to decontaminate and clay bar, a ceramic should be your final step not a carnuba that washes away with soap & water.
What diy ceramic coating do you recommend?

BretL

Registered Member
Heber Springs, AR
Genesis G80
A good Carnuba Wax AND Sealant will last a lot longer than a wash. All protective coatings are subject to lasting as related to where your car lives: indoors, outdoors, covered at work, not covered at work, etc. The GLK in my post above still beads up at 6 months; it lives inside but is outside at my wife's work place for 8-9 hrs a day.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis G70
I've tried many waxes over the years on my cars, all of which were premium, carnuba based waxes. However, this past year I tried a newer wax from Meguiars:
Meguiar's Ultimate wax
I've used it on a number of cars, including my new G70.
This is the longest lasting, best beading wax I've ever tried. It's effects have lasted many months. If I wash the car and take it for a drive, it's totally dry in no time.
I've been meaning to try some other products as well, and maybe get the car ceramic coated, but for now I'm really satisfied with this stuff.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis G80
Husky, I used the same on my G80 two days ago and agree, it's a great wax. Easy to apply and not hard to buff off. Looks like a great shine after the clay bar treatment.

I've been using their spray-on, buff off product and that works well and is easy to use, but only lasts 6-8 weeks.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums