Weekend road trip - mileage and cruise control "thing"

yellow3.8track

Been here awhile...
Took another short road trip this weekend.

On the way down I64 Thursday evening I topped over a little hill and saw there was water running across the road in front of me. I was in cruise control at 75 mph when the car hit the water. It immediately hydroplaned and started sideways (just a little). It got straight real quick after leaving the water patch on the asphalt but then I noticed it was losing speed. The cruise control had disengaged. I hit the resume button and it sped right back up to 75 mph.

Did the cruise control shut off because the hydroplaning created a speed difference between the front and rear tires? I know I didn't hit the brake. I'm one of those people who hit the gas and change lanes rather than hitting the brake and creeping along.

The mileage part. I gassed up on I81 between Staunton and Lexington and drove on home to WV. I went to Rainelle Friday morning for some parts/tools while working on a sliding glass door. Saturday morning I washed it, filled up (but forgot to zero the trip odometer) and put 6 gallons in it. I drove to a gun show at Beckley (don't waste your time, when they say "knife and gun show" that's what it is. Lots of knives, not many guns).

Anyway, I drove back home, loaded up everything Sunday afternoon and drove back to Richmond, VA. The trunk was full and the luggage backs were in the back seat. I set the cruise control on 75 mph again and rolled on down the road. I filled up when I got back down here. I got 25.9 mpg. One of these days I'm going to run a couple hundred miles down the interstate and back to the house with no load and do the speed limit to see what I get for mpg. I get 22 to 24 mpg running around town and back and forth to work.

AshleyTayla

Hasn't posted much yet...
Northern NY
Did the traction control light on your dash blink? If you don't turn your traction control off, your gas pedal will disengage or your cruise control will turn off if you hit terrain/water. There is a button to the left of your steering wheel that you may use to disengage the traction control, which will alleviate you of the problem.

I make the trip from Northern NY to the South Shore of MA every three weeks or so. If the weather is clear, I keep the traction control off. You may also notice that with it on, you aren't often able to accelerate above 80mph without it alerting you and disengaging the gas pedal.

I drive a 2010 Track, manual, so I'm not sure if this is specific to my year/make/model or not.

Hope that helped!

Southern Boy

Registered Member
I get similar mileage with my 2011 3.8 Genesis. I found it hard the believe the MPG display, but the fill up of the tank at the pump is the proof of the pudding.
Of course 99.9% of the time I drive like there is an egg between my foot and the accelerator pedal. I down shift when approaching a red light or stop sign and whenever I can I use cruise control, but every once in a while (when Momma isn’t with me) and I am sure I have open road, I’ll really get into it and wind my Genesis out.
The only difference between 60 MPH and 120 MPH in a Genesis is fuel consumption and digital display on the dash if you don’t look out the side windows...
:D

yellow3.8track

Been here awhile...
I've never really turned the traction control off and driven any distance.

I've not had any issues going above 80 mph with it on either, not so far anyway.

I went home to WV again this weekend. Got 25 mpg going home (75 on the cruise control most of the trip, going uphill with the truck full and a couple of bags in the back seat. Got 26 mpg coming back (70 on the cruise control - never in a hurry to come back to VA) with the same stuff in the truck/back seat along with 2 boxes of that old brownstone dishes/cookie jar, salad bowls, etc. that my mom gave my wife and an ice chest full of pork bbq and apple juice mom and dad gave us.

Every time I drive my Coupe I'm just tickled to death with the performance, whether I push it hard or not. The acceleration, the cornering and the braking make me smile.

Oh yeah, coming down Charmco Mountain on Rt. 20 I had to hit the brakes pretty hard so that big old black bear that ran out in front of me could make it to the other side of the road without messing up the coupe's front end. All my wife could say was, "A bear!! A bear!! A bear!!" and it was gone over the guardrail and into the woods. First bear she's ever seen.

nb_mike

Registered Member
Indiana
Took a 400 mile trip from Indiana to Wisconsin and got best mileage yet. I got 31.2 per computer and got 28+ on return trip.
I have a 2009, 3.8 Genesis with 60K on it. It seems to be getting better mileage all the time.

rrjohann

Hasn't posted much yet...
Tennessee
Been taking it to Nashville and Memphis alternating weekends, take all the back roads I think something is wrong with the car because it appears to be an assh--e magnet, everyone wants to race, I feel I don't have anything to prove because the car has done everything I ask, the back roads are great, I have three bikes and the car is winning out almost every time. Thinking about trading up to a track model next year. :eek:

EXBMWGUY

Been here awhile...
I get similar mileage with my 2011 3.8 Genesis. I found it hard the believe the MPG display, but the fill up of the tank at the pump is the proof of the pudding.
Of course 99.9% of the time I drive like there is an egg between my foot and the accelerator pedal. I down shift when approaching a red light or stop sign and whenever I can I use cruise control, but every once in a while (when Momma isn’t with me) and I am sure I have open road, I’ll really get into it and wind my Genesis out.
The only difference between 60 MPH and 120 MPH in a Genesis is fuel consumption and digital display on the dash if you don’t look out the side windows...
:D
. . . and don't forget the optional extra multi-colored display in your rear view mirror! LOL

yellow3.8track

Been here awhile...
This weekend my wife (and all her bags, suit cases, shoes, etc.) went with me. On the way back (I gassed up at the Exxon station at Lowmoor, VA and again just a couple miles from the house near the Rt. 288/Rt. 10 interchange) I got 28.8 mpg.

That is the best I've ever gotten on a trip. That was mostly in cruise control with it set at about 74 to 77 mph.

About 17,000 miles on it now so maybe its getting a little bit broke in.:)

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums