Weight of the OEM 5 spoke sport rims?

Friday

Registered Member
Genesis G70
Subjectively, they seem heavy with the tires on. Too heavy in my opinion.

Next, time I do the winter swap, I'll try to weigh the 19" black sports versus the 18" winters. Not a fair comparison with the different tires and sizes but the winters subjectively feel a lot lighter.

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis G70
Just weigh the tire and wheel and deduct the tire weight on tire rack, wouldn't that get you close enough. I came up with 32lbs for the sport 5 spoke front 19x8

ephone1

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Just weigh the tire and wheel and deduct the tire weight on tire rack, wouldn't that get you close enough. I came up with 32lbs for the sport 5 spoke front 19x8
That's a great idea. I'll do it when I take my wheels off for the first time, unless someone here beats me to it.

savemoresaveoften

Registered Member
Genesis G70
Already swapped winter back to summer and yes the stock 18" are beefy as in heavy for a 18". And they are shot with Michelin all season and not even RFT.

ephone1

SUSTAINING MEMBER
I'm in the middle of doing my eurospec brakes and I brought out the scale and put my rear tire on. It's say 61 pounds. Could that be right?

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis G70
I'm in the middle of doing my eurospec brakes and I brought out the scale and put my rear tire on. It's say 61 pounds. Could that be right?
I'm not surprised. Those things are pretty heavy. Keep in mind that the Pilot Sport tires are pretty dang strong, so there is a lot of reinforcement in there which contributes to the weight.

Friday

Registered Member
Genesis G70
35lbs rims are really heavy. It's not difficult to find rims around 25lbs - and loosing 40lbs of unsprung weight is like like losing 60lbs on the rest of the car.
I think it's like removing 120 lbs. from the car if you reduce each wheel by 10 lbs.

I think 35 lbs. for just the rim is excessive. The Fast Wheels FC04 19" x 8.5 (cast, flow formed wheel) is listed at 21.4 lbs. on their website. We aren't even talking forged wheels here.

At least the OEM rims better be about a tuff as possible at that weight so pothole damage prevention was maybe their goal.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis G70
Definitely some incentive to go with aftermarket rims. I'm considering it at some point, not any time soon though. Also, I haven't found anything that I like on it yet - in the right size, that is.

SirFrederick

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis G70
Definitely some incentive to go with aftermarket rims. I'm considering it at some point, not any time soon though. Also, I haven't found anything that I like on it yet - in the right size, that is.
I've found a few I like but nothing in the right size. I'd have to go to 19 x 8.5 for the front and I'd prefer to just stay the same as stock. I'm not sure how wider would look on the fronts. I guess half an inch wouldn't be too noticeable as long as they didn't stick out past the fender. Plus I'd have to buy new tires and I like the staggered look.

Friday

Registered Member
Genesis G70
I've found a few I like but nothing in the right size. I'd have to go to 19 x 8.5 for the front and I'd prefer to just stay the same as stock. I'm not sure how wider would look on the fronts. I guess half an inch wouldn't be too noticeable as long as they didn't stick out past the fender. Plus I'd have to buy new tires and I like the staggered look.
Just looking at a chart for the PS4S, don't know if there is one for the PS4, the maximum rim width is 9" for the fronts 225/40/19. I'm not sure if the chart is totally correct so best to verify with the tire shop and I guess every make/model of tire is going to be different too. So according to the chart, looks like it's possible to use the same rubber. I'm not sure how the extra 1/2" of rim width will do to how much it sticks out but in the world of wheel fitments the changes here are small compared to what people are doing. If anyone goes and installs new 19" wheels, please post.

Friday

Registered Member
Genesis G70
So if you keep the same offset, the extra 1/2" rim will only mean 1/4" more of the rim sticking out? Will that be noticeable?

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis G70
Definitely no 9" on front for me do not like the look.

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis G70
This is one of the setups I am considering. It's on a AWD stinger. Squared 245/40-19. 8 or 8.5 wide wheel +35 offset
He said it shaved 1/3rd of the weight and drives great. Looking at a different style wheel though
Eyeing. 8" 20lbs 8.5 22lbs

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums