• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Weight of the OEM 5 spoke sport rims?

SirFrederick

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Kind of like this one...

...sort of reminds me of the OEM 10 Spoke RWD rims, but with a dark finish (not as good looking as the OEM branded ones, though). Looks like they weigh 27lbs for the 19x8.5. They don't have an 8" width, though. Going up to 9" increases it to 29lbs. Not that much lighter than stock...I figure if I go with aftermarket, it'd better include a decent weight loss, which, for me, is about 10lbs a piece.

Anyway, anybody know how much the OEM 10 spoke rims weigh?

SirFrederick

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Not sure if people have already seen this, but, look familiar???

Essentially the same style as our sport trim rims! Right??

Found here...

DTM - Niche Wheels
Yep I stumbled on to those the other day. Very close in design. A little more twist in the spoke then ours. It's the top of the spoke that joins into the rest of the rim that really gives them the same look.

savemoresaveoften

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think it's like removing 120 lbs. from the car if you reduce each wheel by 10 lbs.

I think 35 lbs. for just the rim is excessive. The Fast Wheels FC04 19" x 8.5 (cast, flow formed wheel) is listed at 21.4 lbs. on their website. We aren't even talking forged wheels here.

At least the OEM rims better be about a tuff as possible at that weight so pothole damage prevention was maybe their goal.
Yes those stock rim are truly excessive in weight and certainly hope they will survive even a nuclear bomb lol

Fast wheels 19" at 21lb ! Thats light for a non premium pricing rim maker for sure !!

Yeeah

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have busted 3 of the dark 5 spoke OEM rim from a 3.3T sport. Started in March 2019 and busted 3 front rims on pot holes. They are not indestructible. I'm looking for any aftermarket rim now. My opinion is any rim is more durable. At $600 a piece to replace I could have had a new set already :( Looking into Enkei or BBS rims I think. Perhaps going to 10 spoke hoping more spokes to even out the inevitable bumps.

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have busted 3 of the dark 5 spoke OEM rim from a 3.3T sport. Started in March 2019 and busted 3 front rims on pot holes. They are not indestructible. I'm looking for any aftermarket rim now. My opinion is any rim is more durable. At $600 a piece to replace I could have had a new set already :( Looking into Enkei or BBS rims I think. Perhaps going to 10 spoke hoping more spokes to even out the inevitable bumps.
It would probably be cheaper to change your commute or buy something like a tank instead. Seriously tho, where are you that the roads are that bad??

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ No kidding. I'd be driving a beat up Civic...and the G70 for safer roads. Or...swerve around potholes?

Yeeah

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Rough winter in Ottawa. Big pot holes hat the city only temp patched. 2 times were my wife. This last time was me. I have to admit I knew the roads were bad but I was having fun passing slower traffic.. not $600 with of fun though :(
Serves me right. Karma. Ribbed my cousin over the winter for banging up 3 of his winter rims in a season.

It would probably be cheaper to change your commute or buy something like a tank instead. Seriously tho, where are you that the roads are that bad??

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I had Enkei's on my last car and they held up fine on our perfect roads out here but I dont really know of any that are 'stonger' than the OEM rims. Its not like OEM is made of paper, I do think any rim that fits on the G70 would be damaged by hitting bad potholes at speed. You could spend 1k or more on some new nice rims and it still would happen.

My recommendations: - air up your tires more, less pressure equals more impact on the rim instead of the tire
-buy some cheap stealies
- start setting aside a 600 a year rim budget

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I had Enkei's on my last car and they held up fine on our perfect roads out here but I dont really know of any that are 'stonger' than the OEM rims. Its not like OEM is made of paper, I do think any rim that fits on the G70 would be damaged by hitting bad potholes at speed. You could spend 1k or more on some new nice rims and it still would happen.

My recommendations: - air up your tires more, less pressure equals more impact on the rim instead of the tire
-buy some cheap stealies
- start setting aside a 600 a year rim budget
$1800* a year. Lmao.

I think sizing down to a 18 inch wheel and then get a beefier tire (+ some extra tire pressure) might help. Assuming my top of the head physics makes sense, the combination should hold up better

Yeeah

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
$1800* a year. Lmao.

I think sizing down to a 18 inch wheel and then get a beefier tire (+ some extra tire pressure) might help. Assuming my top of the head physics makes sense, the combination should hold up better
No. I'm stubborn, stupid and have money! Haha. If anybody wants OEM 5 spoke dark rims. I'll be selling 3 of them soon haha.

idlemind

Hasn't posted much yet...
Texas
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I'm in the middle of doing my eurospec brakes and I brought out the scale and put my rear tire on. It's say 61 pounds. Could that be right?
That is heavy. I changed the tires and wheels on another car I have with a end weight of 52 lbs front and 54 lbs rear, staggered. I didn't weigh the wheels that were on there before the swap, but these are definitely lighter and I can tell the difference in handling. The car just feels more nimble with the lighter unsprung weight. Just for reference I'm running 245/35/20 front, and 265/35/20 rear.
Here's a link to a site I use to check my potential setup before purchasing. Hope it helps someone that's trying to figure out what size to go with. :)

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
No. I'm stubborn, stupid and have money! Haha. If anybody wants OEM 5 spoke dark rims. I'll be selling 3 of them soon haha.

Any properly forged rim will be stronger than our current rims. The OEM 5 spokers are cast aluminum. Looks like they put a lot of material in there too, so they are pretty dang heavy. I've been looking at a lot of rims lately, but I can't decide on something I really like that are also cost effective.

No matter which type/size you go with, definitely increase that tire pressure. Also, like stated above, an 18" diameter rim will give you more tire to absorb the death strike of those killer potholes.

Yeeah

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Engineering Explained hit a pot hole too with his Model 3 Performance.
Haha. I was watching that this morning. I've spent in total $2500 CAD. I didn't replace my tires like he did. Pot hole victims unite. Sorry I hijacked this thread. Will start my own. All to say these 5 spoke dark are heavy rims and are NOT durable.

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
35 lbs/wheel is kinda insane. I hear around that people try to save like 3-5 lbs/wheel with lightweight alloys for the performance difference, and then here we have a wheel that's close to 13 lb/wheel heavier than a lot of aftermarket options.

Well one positive could be that the higher weight may make the ride a bit better? Here's a comparison by TireRack, where they said the heavier wheel reluctance to move during bumps made it a slightly better ride, and there was less road surface feel from the suspension: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=108

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
35 lbs/wheel is kinda insane. I hear around that people try to save like 3-5 lbs/wheel with lightweight alloys for the performance difference, and then here we have a wheel that's close to 13 lb/wheel heavier than a lot of aftermarket options.

Well one positive could be that the higher weight may make the ride a bit better? Here's a comparison by TireRack, where they said the heavier wheel reluctance to move during bumps made it a slightly better ride, and there was less road surface feel from the suspension: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=108
Cool. I didn't know that. I wonder if this lesson in physics also accounts for more prone to damage with heavier wheels. Kind of the same concept of 'the bigger they are the harder they fall', if you will.

Just weighed my 5 spokes from 3.3t g70. Just rim + valve + center cap...for those into those minute details.

Front is 32.4 lbs.
Rear is 34.8 lbs
Nice! Thanks for weighing them. Now we've got a very accurate weight to go by. For me, when I finally get some aftermarket rims, I will go with something that offers significant weight savings (hopefully around 10lbs).

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums