• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Went car shopping today and made some interesting Observations

carsareus

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I visited an Automall and First went to the Hyundai dealership that is the Genesis dealer here according to the Genesis web site. Signs everywhere saying Hyundai but absolutely no Genesis signs. You would never know they sold Genesis at a distance before looking at the cars. I sat in both the G70 and G80. I really like the G70 more than I thought I would. Very nice interior and the quality of the parts seem very good. They had a MALLORCA BLUE model and I really like that color. While I like the G80, I really don't want to make that purchase until I see a press release on the 2020 models showing the Differences.

Next I went to the Kia dealer to look at the Cadenza. They didn't even had one in stock! I have a feeling they don't sell many of those. I do really like the Stinger and what surprised me is they still had two 2018 new stingers in inventory.

My next stop was over to the Lexus dealer to look at the ES models. I looked at an F-Sport and thought it had a very nice quality interior. I have to be honest I didn't think the interior was any better than the Genesis. unless you get an F-Sport I thought the exterior looks of these were rather bland but I'm sure they are nice cars.

My last stop was at the Toyota dealer and I looked at the Avalon and the Camry. The Camry XSE interior just didn't do anything for me for some reason. The Avalon Limited on the other hand had a very nice interior and I was actually very impressed with it and all of the features you get in that car.

I know I'm all over the place on the cars I'm looking at and I'm comparing Sports sedans to Luxury cars and semi-luxury cars. I'm trying to get a better feel on what I want to buy. With that being said I'm still liking the Genesis the most after what I saw today. I'm just hoping the new G80 will be announced soon so I can actually do some test drives and make a purchase.

LandOfConfusion

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Interesting, and I think your observations are consistent with what many shoppers experience with these models. In another thread, a Genesis dealership employee (I believe) says that they received materials on the 2020 G80. It shows no changes other than the addition of Mallorca Blue as a color choice. He suspects 2020 will be a short run with a revised 2021 model coming out in mid-2020.

Only you know what factors matter most to you. I liked the driving dynamics of the Genesis. Being a former Toyota owner, I can say that there’s not much pulling me back to that brand. Bland, and sometimes odd, styling; below average handling; and not great dealer service for me. Your results may vary. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!

carsareus

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
2020 G80 is the same body style. 2021 will be the new one.

Yeah I just saw someone post that. I didn't realize that.

carsareus

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Interesting, and I think your observations are consistent with what many shoppers experience with these models. In another thread, a Genesis dealership employee (I believe) says that they received materials on the 2020 G80. It shows no changes other than the addition of Mallorca Blue as a color choice. He suspects 2020 will be a short run with a revised 2021 model coming out in mid-2020.

Only you know what factors matter most to you. I liked the driving dynamics of the Genesis. Being a former Toyota owner, I can say that there’s not much pulling me back to that brand. Bland, and sometimes odd, styling; below average handling; and not great dealer service for me. Your results may vary. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!
I saw the same post. Looks like the 2021 G80 may not be out until summer 2020. Now I need to make a decision if its worth the wait.

:)

GarnetTy1473

Been here awhile...
Noblesville, IN
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
That was me that posted that about sales brochures for the 2020 G80. We were all surprised at the dealership. We were able to start ordering 2020 models last week, or maybe it was yesterday. We've been so busy and I've been working so much, all the days are running together. Anyways, we can order 2020 models of the G70 and G80. When we will see them, we don't know yet. Still can only order 2019 G90s. No word on when ordering on the 2020 G90 opens up. I can't wait to see the G80 Sport in Mallorca Blue. However, we didn't order any. My GM says everybody loves the color, but nobody wants to buy it. Of all the colors of the G70, the Mallorca Blue sit the longest. We usually have mid 20 G70s in inventory at any particular time, sometimes over 30, but for some reason, the Mallorca just sit.

carsareus

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
That was me that posted that about sales brochures for the 2020 G80. We were all surprised at the dealership. We were able to start ordering 2020 models last week, or maybe it was yesterday. We've been so busy and I've been working so much, all the days are running together. Anyways, we can order 2020 models of the G70 and G80. When we will see them, we don't know yet. Still can only order 2019 G90s. No word on when ordering on the 2020 G90 opens up. I can't wait to see the G80 Sport in Mallorca Blue. However, we didn't order any. My GM says everybody loves the color, but nobody wants to buy it. Of all the colors of the G70, the Mallorca Blue sit the longest. We usually have mid 20 G70s in inventory at any particular time, sometimes over 30, but for some reason, the Mallorca just sit.
I wonder if people aren't buying the Mallorca Blue because they are worried it would be difficult to resale? I don't even care about that. I'm really looking to buy a car that stands out and doesn't completely look like the masses of other plain cars. I will take a look at other colors before I buy but I really like this color. What has been other people success in getting the exact color and engine/package from dealers in other states? I'm concerned this might be problematic. I really don't want to compromise on what I want.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Loved the MB's I saw too, but I knew I would never want my car to stick out that much. MB might be a bit flashy/attention grabbing for most people. @GarnetTy1473 , how does it compare to the HR in terms of length on the lot? Similar lengths of time?

Before the G70 came out, some Hyundai salesman told me I couldn't compare the G80 Sport to the Q50S (not RS 400) when I said I didn't like how the G80 Sport felt post test drive. LOL
@OP Compare anything and everything that you want within a similar enough price range, imo. I think the vehicle should justify the price tag regardless of class or brand

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

LandOfConfusion

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Loved the MB's I saw too, but I knew I would never want my car to stick out that much. MB might be a bit flashy/attention grabbing for most people. @GarnetTy1473 , how does it compare to the HR in terms of length on the lot? Similar lengths of time?

Before the G70 came out, some Hyundai salesman told me I couldn't compare the G80 Sport to the Q50S (not RS 400) when I said I didn't like how the G80 Sport felt post test drive. LOL
@OP Compare anything and everything that you want within a similar enough price range, imo. I think the vehicle should justify the price tag regardless of class or brand
That's exactly how I felt about MB. It was at the top of my list, but I was very apprehensive about pulling the trigger on that for fear that I'd be the "look at me" guy in the neighborhood. Besides, I wanted a 6MT, and the only one was more than 500 miles away.

And, I think OP can and should compare the G80 to the Q50S, RS 400, and anything else he likes. Heck, I cross-shopped VW Alltracks and GTIs with a G70. And I considered a 3-series and the A4 Allroad. Not all within the same typical category, obviously.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That is correct, of course, but a substantial number of people think certain name brands are worth the extra price. Not just cars, golf clubs, cameras and peanut butter too. I think the typical Genesis buyer is smarter than some of the other lux brand buyers but there are many consumers that would buy Mercedes branded frozen peas over the store brand no matter the price. Makes them happy.
You mean these AMG peas don't give me eagle powers?! :outtahere:

JeremyTD

Registered Member
Indianapolis
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Weird. I don’t think about blue (or red) as look at me colors. I look at them as colors I like and if I’m paying money for a car it should be in a color I like. MB is for me to admire when it’s clean and as I walk towards it in the parking lot.

On a side note, the G70 looks great stunning in any color. I’m glad we all have a different opinion. I’d be mad if everyone had the same color cars.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Next I went to the Kia dealer to look at the Cadenza. They didn't even had one in stock! I have a feeling they don't sell many of those. I do really like the Stinger and what surprised me is they still had two 2018 new stingers in inventory.
Based on monthly sales - no Kia dealership does, but for anyone interested in the Cadenza, would wait til when the F/L models hit the lots here as it gets revised sheetmetal (personally, not so keen on it) and a more premium interior/dash w/ real wood trim.

GarnetTy1473

Been here awhile...
Noblesville, IN
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

Havana Red moves a lot quicker.

carsareus

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Weird. I don’t think about blue (or red) as look at me colors. I look at them as colors I like and if I’m paying money for a car it should be in a color I like. MB is for me to admire when it’s clean and as I walk towards it in the parking lot.

On a side note, the G70 looks great stunning in any color. I’m glad we all have a different opinion. I’d be mad if everyone had the same color cars.
I agree with you. I'm going to buy what I like regardless of what others think. I also wonder if its a Regional thing and the color is more popular in different parts of the Country?

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums