• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

What did you do with your DH today?

Monkey

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Something looks different about your car. Oh yes. It’s paid off. Congrats.

MrsGenesis

Genesis Model Type
My shift knob was bothering me as well. After seeing your post I ordered one on eBay and received it from Korea in 2 weeks. Absolutely satisfied.
I bought a new to me 2016 3.8 and the shift knob needs replacing so I ordered one off eBay. I would really appreciate instructions on install. Would hate to pay dealer for something I may can do myself. 😁

surprisinguy

Registered Member
NC
Genesis Model Type
I'm sure someone else will chime in, but when you get the new one look to see if it is just threaded on the bottom, unscrewing it might be the only thing you need to do

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
I bought a new to me 2016 3.8 and the shift knob needs replacing so I ordered one off eBay. I would really appreciate instructions on install. Would hate to pay dealer for something I may can do myself. 😁
To replace my shift knob on my 2015 5.0 I only had to use a plastic trim panel tool to release the plastic clips that holds the shifter boot and then just pull up on the shifter knob itself until it releases. Just press the new shift knob on to the shaft to install. Very easy to do, just need to pull hard to get it off away from your face.:)

Different Hyundai model but same method

MrsGenesis

Genesis Model Type
To replace my shift knob on my 2015 5.0 I only had to use a plastic trim panel tool to release the plastic clips that holds the shifter boot and then just pull up on the shifter knob itself until it releases. Just press the new shift knob on to the shaft to install. Very easy to do, just need to pull hard to get it off away from your face.:)

Different Hyundai model but same method
Thank you! I will try that. Hopefully I don't break anything lol.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Thank you! I will try that. Hopefully I don't break anything lol.
LOL. You should be more concerned about hitting yourself in the face because you have to pull up really hard like in the video. The shifter shaft is metal so it will not break, however I guess you could break the old knob mounting tabs. Hence , why I remove the boot first with a panel tool so the tabs do not break when forced off like in the video. The boot is removable and is not included with the knob.

MrsGenesis

Genesis Model Type
LOL. You should be more concerned about hitting yourself in the face because you have to pull up really hard like in the video. The shifter shaft is metal so it will not break, however I guess you could break the old knob mounting tabs. Hence , why I remove the boot first with a panel tool so the tabs do not break when forced off like in the video. The boot is removable and is not included with the knob.
Lol on that note, I may just take it to the dealership or get a body shop to do it. I'm sure it will be cheaper than a medical bill 😂.

Scamp

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Updated my software to 13 and finally get to have Carplay. Absolutely love having Waze on the main screen. Spotify looks like it's not showing playlists for some reason, I thought it would, but the album art comes up fine and I'm happy. The car feels so future proof now with Carplay. Waze is a god send and I really wanted to have it on the main screen like it is now.

surprisinguy

Registered Member
NC
Genesis Model Type
Let me know when you're using waze for directions if it still shows the directions on your phone at the top? This is annoying to me and I'm not sure how to turn it off. ALSO, you might try turning on developer options in waze on your phone. You can use the night mode for it all the time this way. I personally like it much better

bigdogbts

Hasn't posted much yet...
STL, MO
Genesis Model Type
Plasti-Dip?
Flexi-dip from Rustoleum. Lasted 4 months at best. Had to remove it because it started releasing in spots, and I need to put new tires on. I'm planning on re-applying here in the next month.

bigdogbts

Hasn't posted much yet...
STL, MO
Genesis Model Type
How long did it take to dipped them and how many cans you used? Did you do it with the wheels on or off?
Roughly 1.5 - 2 cans per rim, and I did it while the wheels were on the car, but it was up on ramps to get some better access. That being said, I realized that I didn't do a very thorough job when I had to take it off (peeling and new tires), so when I re-apply, I'll take the rims completely off a side and just do them the right way.

Scamp

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Let me know when you're using waze for directions if it still shows the directions on your phone at the top? This is annoying to me and I'm not sure how to turn it off. ALSO, you might try turning on developer options in waze on your phone. You can use the night mode for it all the time this way. I personally like it much better
On the phone it shows the directions and nothing but, yes. And at the top of the screen in the car it shows the next direction in a box on the bottom left as I recall.

MrsGenesis

Genesis Model Type
Okay so I gave it a go and was able to remove the boot. However I couldn't remove the old shifter knob from the boot. Any tips would be helpful.

Andyj

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Someone posted a home made tool to lift / pry the shifter knob off. Two pieces of wood with notches used like an l bracket.