• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

What is the widest tire for 18 x 7.5 standard rim?

Sure

Hasn't posted much yet...
I have an '09 4.6. I'd like to go wider on the tires, but keep the original 18" rims. (I think they're 18 x 7.5). Right now I have 235/50R18.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

QuantumRift

Been here awhile...
Central OH
I did this years ago for a Dodge Shadow I had...and the results were OK.

There a several sites that can show you how, or just call your nearest Discount Tire store...

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires_101/customizing/aspect_ratio_calculator/

You have to be sure that the tires allow clearance when turning and going over bumps, etc (suspension travel), so you won't want to go to a "TALLER" tire. You want a somewhat wider tire while maintaining the same diameter (18" wheel and tire). You also want to keep the speedometer error to an absolute minimum.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/speedocalibcalc.html

If you wish to keep the stock rims, you will probably find that your choice in tire sizes is very limited. Ultimately I was able to fit wider tires on my Shadow's stock rims and liked the better feel, but the tires were pretty expensive as it was an odd size.

I have an '09 4.6. I'd like to go wider on the tires, but keep the original 18" rims. (I think they're 18 x 7.5). Right now I have 235/50R18.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

jnc2000

Registered Member
Wider tire on that size rim would mean your sidewall could potentially have more flex / give. The extra 20mm in width would work (and I've seen it done) -- I'm just not personally a fan of it.

IMO get a wider rim if you want to go wider then OEM.

Last edited:

QuantumRift

Been here awhile...
Central OH
Yes, the consensus is go wider rim for best fitment...you may or may not notice a.5" difference in handling (1" overall for both sides). As for sidewall flex, I don't think that would be much of an issue with as low profile tires as they are...not much sidewall there to flex. When I put the wider tires on my Shadow (I used Cooper Cobras), I did run it a few times on the 'cone track' with the local racing club...end result is that I didn't notice a LOT of difference but what I did notice I liked. The stock rims and wider tires had more sidewall than the Genesis does, but the sidewall flex wasn't that noticeable on the course...

DavidHanLee

Registered Member
Just wanted to revive this thread and get some opinions from other owners as well. I need to purchase new tires and want something that is wider. Any reported sidewall flex from other members that went with a wider tire?

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums