What mpg are you getting?

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis G70
3.3T, getting about 22mpg in mixed driving if I stay in comfort mode, 27mpg on the highway at 75mph with cruise on. Those are actual calculated numbers; the car's average readout is high by about 2mpg.

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis G80 Sport

joschneider

G70 Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis G70
At 4000 miles, I'm at 28.4 mpg using octane 93 since purchase. 2.0T though. What are yall getting? I didn't see this posted before. Sorry if it has.
I don’t think anything 2.0 focusing has been posted, really curious what you guys get

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis G70
I get between 16-18 mpg usually, but it's ALL city driving, tons of stop lights, and tons of traffic. After I installed my exhaust I got 14mpg because I kept driving like a jackass all the time.

SirFrederick

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis G70
After a year of ownership my average MPG is 24.49 (imperial) or 20.39 (US). That's actually tracked mileage and not the car estimate. That's all city driving but most of it done at 90kph on a small freeway to work. I'm rarely ever in bumper to bumper traffic. I start work early and live in a small city, so traffic is pretty minimal. The 3.3t AWD is rated at 21/30 MPG (imperial).

Having said that I'm a bit disappointed in the mileage. I did not buy this car because I thought it would be great on gas; however, I can't really enjoy it in the way that it was intended without the mileage totally falling off a cliff. The reason I say I'm disappointed is during the summer I’ve conceded to driving in comfort mode and during winter I drive in eco. I have to make an effort to drive pretty conservatively to hit the numbers that I do. If I drive in sport mode the mileage is atrocious. I want to drive in sport mode more often but it's just so bad on gas in sport mode that I never do. I think it kind of defeats the purpose of this car a little. In hindsight I would have bought the 2.0L instead because I'm driving conservatively all the time anyways. I'm not really making use of the 3.3 engine, so I might as well just have the 2.0 and enjoy better mileage.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis G70
After a year of ownership my average MPG is 24.49 (imperial) or 20.39 (US). That's actually tracked mileage and not the car estimate. That's all city driving but most of it done at 90kph on a small freeway to work. I'm rarely ever in bumper to bumper traffic. I start work early and live in a small city, so traffic is pretty minimal. The 3.3t AWD is rated at 21/30 MPG (imperial).

Having said that I'm a bit disappointed in the mileage. I did not buy this car because I thought it would be great on gas; however, I can't really enjoy it in the way that it was intended without the mileage totally falling off a cliff. The reason I say I'm disappointed is during the summer I’ve conceded to driving in comfort mode and during winter I drive in eco. I have to make an effort to drive pretty conservatively to hit the numbers that I do. If I drive in sport mode the mileage is atrocious. I want to drive in sport mode more often but it's just so bad on gas in sport mode that I never do. I think it kind of defeats the purpose of this car a little. In hindsight I would have bought the 2.0L instead because I'm driving conservatively all the time anyways. I'm not really making use of the 3.3 engine, so I might as well just have the 2.0 and enjoy better mileage.
You can get decent freeway mileage in sport mode (assuming little to no traffic), but it takes a lot of throttle control. I figure, if you can afford the car, you can afford an extra tank of gas here and there so you can truly enjoy the car the way you want

Cut-Throat

Registered Member
Minneapolis
Same when I had 3.3 AWD as a loaner for a week.
Have you moved on to a G70?
I remember asking you a few years ago about how you compared the G80 to a First Generation Genesis and you much preferred the G80... My wife has now had her 2019 G80 for about a year now, and I must say that I prefer driving my 2014 RSpec over her G80. I feel the G80 is just too big a Car for myself. So I am thinking about the G70. I assume that is where you are headed also? -- My Wife's G80 has that Big 'Floaty Boaty' feel to it, and I prefer my 2014 Rspec.. What are your latest thoughts and Opinions on this?

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis G80 Sport

Cut-Throat

Registered Member
Minneapolis
Hey, long time no see, eh?!
Isn't that Rspec has more stiff suspension than "regular" G80? I never had that feeling of driving a boat, lol ...my '15 5.0 was lowered, so the handling was actually better, more firm and now the '18 G80 sport has an adaptive suspension, it also feels good, I don't even think about trying to "improve it".
I'm glad I had a chance to keep and drive G70 3.3 for a week, so I'm pretty sure I won't be getting one in ~16 months once my lease is up. Even though, we don't have a small kids anymore (thank God!) but still, there isn't room to sit comfortably, behind the driver's seat, head rest is way too far back, I can't rest my head on it as I would in G80 and the trunk? LOL ....after I put 2 tripods, 2 monopads and 2 backpacks with my photography gear, the trunk was filled in ~80%! I know it's a smaller car than G80, but those 3 things will be a deal breaker for me. So, I'll be getting another G80 sport (like '20 leftovers) or the new design '21 G80

I'm not sure what suspension was in 3.3 loaner, but I had the feeling that my G80 sport's was better.
Yeah, long time No See! -- No car problems, so I just drive my Rspec.. I actually prefer it over my G80, as the G80 has that 'Big Car Feel'... My RSpec is a smaller Car... I got in the G70 at the dealership while waiting for an oil change, and I liked the 'Feel' of it... Not sure what I'll do next... Although it will definitley be a Genesis. Since this is a G70 Forum, I had thought that you had bought one of those also..... Since I've only got 40,000 miles on my 2014 RSpec (Don't drive in Winter - Spend it on a Warm Island) --- I might even keep the RSpec a few extra years than normal.....

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis G70

I get what you're saying and have felt your pain when driving my G70 in a "spirited" manner for very long. The mileage drops quickly.
I think this is probably typical of turbo motors, and I think ironic. Turbo motors are becoming more popular, in many cases to improve gas mileage, yet their mileage drops quickly when driven in a fashion that takes advantage of their potential. This sounds obvious in that there is no magic; making more power requires more fuel, but I think the rapid drop can be surprising. I've driven a couple of naturally aspirated M3s, almost always in a spirited manner 😊, over the last twenty years, and never really felt that the mileage was particularly low, considering my driving style. On the street, they both average about 23mpg in mixed driving, and on the highway about 27mpg. Of course they are both lighter cars, making less than 365hp.

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis G70
I have a 2.0T RWD. In my commute, which is 50% highway speeds and 50% congested highways (between crawl speeds and ~40 mph), I get 25-28 mpg calculated in the gauges on 91 octane. On pure, normal highway driving in Comfort mode, I think I've been getting around 29 mpg. I feel like driving like a nut here and there doesn't make an impact on 2.0T mpg, which I love but have not tested extensively yet to verify. I like that I don't have to feel guilty about pushing the engine though. Mpg was one reason I got the 2.0T, not because of cost but rather because the fuel tank in the G70 is so small, and I don't want to have to refuel a ton with the 3.3T.

Andr3Stacks

Registered Member
Atlanta, GA
Genesis G70
3.3T, getting about 22mpg in mixed driving if I stay in comfort mode, 27mpg on the highway at 75mph with cruise on. Those are actual calculated numbers; the car's average readout is high by about 2mpg.
you mean you manually calculated? how do you know readout is high ~2mpg?

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis G70
you mean you manually calculated? how do you know readout is high ~2mpg?
Yes, after repeated manual calculations. Others have found a similar error.

Ernie3647

Been here awhile...
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Middletown NY
Genesis G70

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis G70
Yeah, my sport sedan mileage has been on a steady decline over the years. ☹
I had three different BMW 3 series models as daily drivers over the last 12 years, before getting the G70. Each car weighed more and had more power than the one before it. No free lunch I guess.
I console myself in the fact that the power increase is more substantial than the drop in mileage. 😊

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis G70
I tried ECO mode for the first time on a trip to the store today. I was pleasantly surprised that it felt reasonably responsive still, similar to comfort mode. I didn't experience the really laggy throttle that I did in my 3 series in ECO mode.
Of course it may also not be as "ECO" as a result, although it did seem to keep the revs down. I may use it more often than I thought, especially cruising on the highway (although other than coasting there's not much more it can do).

squijello

Registered Member
Genesis G70
Has anyone noticed an improvement in gas mileage over time? I ask because I had a loaner which got considerably better mileage than my car...

Last edited:
The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums