What other kind of stuff is everyone into?

Thread starter #24

Paul

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Jacksonville, Fl.
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
This thread has turned out great! It's so cool to see some of the other hobbies that you guys are into. :thumbsup:

Windchaser

Getting familiar with the group...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I race sailboats. Next week I will be sailing in my 25th Race to Mackinac. This race is the oldest and longest fresh water sailing race. It brings in competitors from around the world every year.

Thread starter #27

Paul

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Jacksonville, Fl.
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
@Windchaser -Best of luck with the race! I grew up in Illinois and spent a little bit of time up that way as a kid. Don't really remember too much other than it was a good time.. oh, and the Mackinac bridge, which scared the shit out of me.

@2009_3.8_genesis _sedan, I'm a former Miata guy. Unfortunately, I had to make room in the driveway so it, and a few other cars had to go. I really miss that car, it was a blast to drive.

Paulsr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I race sailboats in Lake Michigan. Been racing for nearly 35 years. I also enjoy canoeing and do an annual trip in Quectico in Canada. I dabble in photography. Lots of home projects keep me busy too.

I also have an Arisaka that my uncle brought back from the war. Mine is a very nice one given it was made in 1939 before the war. Early models were extremely well made.
I have done some sailing on Lake Michigan with NWSA. Wish their was some decent TV coverage of the Macinac race. What is the name of the boat you will be on?

Windchaser

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have done some sailing on Lake Michigan with NWSA. Wish their was some decent TV coverage of the Macinac race. What is the name of the boat you will be on?
I will be sailing on Serenity. She is a Benneteau First 42. You can follow the race using Yellowbrick.

Windchaser

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I'm off from work next week, I might stop by the lake to take some pics, if she's there.
It looks like we will be in for a fun ride.

https://w2.weather.gov/dmawds/prod_get.php?page=glflm

For those not familiar with the Great Lakes, 10 foot waves are massive. The wave period on the Lakes is very short and you end up getting beat to hell in these types of conditions. And let’s not forget the chance of water spots for over a day. Should be fun.

00838D79-1102-4639-B2FF-981FB7939551.jpeg

This is a picture of the boat I will be sailing in similar conditions which are being forecast for this race.

Paulsr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
It looks like we will be in for a fun ride.

https://w2.weather.gov/dmawds/prod_get.php?page=glflm

For those not familiar with the Great Lakes, 10 foot waves are massive. The wave period on the Lakes is very short and you end up getting beat to hell in these types of conditions. And let’s not forget the chance of water spots for over a day. Should be fun.

View attachment 14614

This is a picture of the boat I will be sailing in similar conditions which are being forecast for this race.
Sure you don't want to call in sick already. It's going to be a long ride.

Windchaser

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Sure you don't want to call in sick already. It's going to be a long ride.
A little under half way. It’s been rough so far. Lots of rain, wind and waves. Our spinnaker shredded about 30 minutes after the start. Fortunately it looks like we won’t need it again. We’re heading into some really nasty stuff tonight. Hopefully the forecast improves some. This is making my 25th race a memorable one.

Paulsr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
A little under half way. It’s been rough so far. Lots of rain, wind and waves. Our spinnaker shredded about 30 minutes after the start. Fortunately it looks like we won’t need it again. We’re heading into some really nasty stuff tonight. Hopefully the forecast improves some. This is making my 25th race a memorable one.
Hang in there. I see you are currently South of Ludington.

Paulsr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Hang in there. I see you are currently South of Ludington.
Made it to Calumet, Mi (near LakeSuperior) from Arlington Heights via G90 today. First chance to use automatic windshield wipers. Very surprised at how well they work. Couldn't see boats on the lake due to very low visibility.

Windchaser

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Made it to Calumet, Mi (near LakeSuperior) from Arlington Heights via G90 today. First chance to use automatic windshield wipers. Very surprised at how well they work. Couldn't see boats on the lake due to very low visibility.
We’re surrounded by boats and can’t see any. Conditions are not great. Heeled over about 20 degrees. Lots of rain and waves. Supposed to get nastier this evening. Sailing in 20 knots of wind. It will build to 30 later tonight.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.