• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

What should my tire pressure be?

Toronto driver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have 3.3T sport model and I'm putting 225/45R18 for my winter time. I'm just wondering what should my air pressure be in this case? the manual doesn't tell you in this case and I was just wondering.

What should i do?

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Toronto driver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Your recommend tire pressure is on sticker on the inside of the drivers door frame.

Typically 36-38 cold is the ideal temps. Cold - car sitting for 4-6 hours and tires are at ambient air temp, if you are filling them warm after driving then add 2psi so 38-40.
like i said, on door frame, it doesn't show you a combination for 3.3T model having 18 inch wheels so i was wondering which one to follow.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Last edited:

Toronto driver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
well to be fair you said manual not door frame.

but for 225/45R18 tires on a 3759 dry weight car, adding all fluids and the average size driver = 4200lbs give or take 100.

4200/4 = 1050 @ each wheel

base pressure of a standard load 225/45R18 tire at sea level at 50°F (since I don't know the brand or make of yours) is 32psi per 1000 lbs.

add 1 psi for each additional 20lbs of weight and 1000m above sea level, Toronto is about 100m above sea level so no real change for that:

also need to add 1 psi for each 10°F below 50°F not to exceed the recommend max on the tire.

as such 1050lbs per wheel = 35psi per wheel. @ 50°, 36psi @ 40°, 37psi @ 30°, 38psi @ 20° and so forth.

so again 36-38psi is standard for most tires in most climates, if you are below freezing go up, if the tires are warm from driving when you air them up, also go up from the base of 36psi @50°
Thanks for the information. so should i set all four tires as same psi or should i be adding more in front/rear?

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Good info here and this does remind me when I took delivery of the car I noticed the pressure for each tire was at 40psi. Ride was better once I put it down to the recommended amount. Just a reminder to check and don't trust that the dealer did.

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Try 40 psi for your best all round settings. The dealer is doing it for a purpose. They are finally realizing with the weight of the G80, it's much better for the 35-45 series offsets. The sidewall doesn't squat as much exposing them to road damage and the car feels much more planted and handles better. We experimented over a period of time with different pressures and found 40 psi to be optimal for nearly every condition and found it has better fuel economy also.

Keep in mind the tire pressure placard in the vehicle is the minimum factory standard. It's not necessarily the optimal setting for the vehicle.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Good info here and this does remind me when I took delivery of the car I noticed the pressure for each tire was at 40psi. Ride was better once I put it down to the recommended amount. Just a reminder to check and don't trust that the dealer did.
I agree...40 is too high. The recommended value is there for a reason and testing with the equipment on the car.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

AGD

Registered Member
Outskirts of Ottawa, in the Heart of Darkness...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I would just see what the tire manufacturer's recommendation is. I've seen everything from 35 psi to 50 psi. The maximum is always printed right on the tire. I usually go about 3-5 psi under the max, having all 4 tires inflated to the same pressure.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Try 40 psi for your best all round settings. The dealer is doing it for a purpose. They are finally realizing with the weight of the G80, it's much better for the 35-45 series offsets. The sidewall doesn't squat as much exposing them to road damage and the car feels much more planted and handles better. We experimented over a period of time with different pressures and found 40 psi to be optimal for nearly every condition and found it has better fuel economy also.

Keep in mind the tire pressure placard in the vehicle is the minimum factory standard. It's not necessarily the optimal setting for the vehicle.
Wrong car lol

surprisinguy

Registered Member
NC
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
So we're talking about cold pressure. I've set mine at 34 warmed up. So cold pressure 36?
Or Warm 36

pmckechnie

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Matthews, NC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I have given a lot of thought about this question. These are some of the questions I have about what pressure to use and when.

First, why would you set the pressure when cold? Cold being "not driven for 4 to 5 hours". The car is driven more with the tires warmed up then when cold.

What pressure do you use if you know you are going on a trip and the temperature will change during the trip. An example, Wife and I just went on a trip from North Carolina to Nova Scotia, Canada. In this case, it was 69 deg win I serviced the car for the trip. I set the tires to 33 deg cold like the owners manual says I should. We got to NS and the temp was 29 deg and the tires were at 29 psi cold. After driving they came up to 31 psi. We headed back after a couple of days and it was still cold (below 35 deg) and we drove over 500 miles on the tires at 31 psi.

I got home and started studying the problem. I came up with a range of psi that I think would work better. I took the following numbers to work with.
30 deg set tires to 33 psi cold.
80 deg set tires to 38 psi hot. Thats a 5 psi difference.
So to keep the tires to 33 psi or more, I have to set them to 38 psi hot.

So 38 psi hot at 80 deg it will be. Now I just have to wait for a 80 deg day.

savemoresaveoften

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I would just see what the tire manufacturer's recommendation is. I've seen everything from 35 psi to 50 psi. The maximum is always printed right on the tire. I usually go about 3-5 psi under the max, having all 4 tires inflated to the same pressure.
Set at 45-47psi ?? Thats too high even for warm temp (unless your car is always fully loaded weight wise)

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums