• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

What things don't you like in the G70?

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
While waiting for the G70 to finally arrive to USA. I would like to start a thread of things you don't like or would like to improve in the G70.
In my case for example, one of the things I really don't like and looks to me way outdated for a "luxury car" is the incandescent rear turn lights.
What do you think?

Buckdes

Getting familiar with the group...
While waiting for the G70 to finally arrive to USA. I would like to start a thread of things you don't like or would like to improve in the G70.
In my case for example, one of the things I really don't like and looks to me way outdated for a "luxury car" is the incandescent rear turn lights.
What do you think?
Turn signals are one for sure but dont bother me that much, fuel economy , exhaust note and NO AMBEINT LIGHTING AT ALL... sorry i likes my fancy colors lol

tymless

Registered Member
Minnesota
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
The two that come to mind are progressive rear turn signals and a better exhaust note. Just put the sport exhaust on all the models, but with quad tips :)

R.K.

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
As an owner of a 2.0T Prestige:

- acceleration from a stop is anemic. Shows up mostly when trying to make left hand turns through traffic gaps.
- gas mileage is still not great even with the lower-tier engine and using Eco mode
- can't turn off the auto stop/start permanently
- as far as I can tell, you can't turn off the adaptive part of the adaptive cruise control, and it's very aggressive in how quickly and often it slows down
- headrests do not adjust forward/back
- no ambient lighting
- radio controls work opposite depending on whether you have the radio screen up - pressing "up" will move the stations two different ways
- built-in nav comes up with some pretty creative (awful) routes once in a while
- back seat room is tight - not sure it's good enough for a road trip with adults
- no power trunk close - very annoying when you've got a bunch of groceries in your hand

Last edited:

devellis

Been here awhile...
North Carolina
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
For me, that stupid Park button would be number one. I know a lot of cars have it now, but I think it's a purposeless change from what people are accustomed to and it may be dangerous until drivers adapt.

Number two would be the exhaust note. It could be more aggressive at higher throttle openings without being annoying at lower openings. Now, apparently, it's fairly tame at all throttle positions. That strikes me as out of character for a car with sporting pretensions.

Beyond that, there are things that I find less than ideal but not to such an extent that I think I'd really notice them on an ongoing basis.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

devellis

Been here awhile...
North Carolina
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Or is may be safer because it puts the car in Park automatically when you shut the engine down even if you don't push the button the car can't roll. Seemed awkward for the first week or so, now I like it.

That's true. But bumping into something with the engine off usually is a pretty low-speed event, and that assumes a failure to engage the parking brake. If (or perhaps it's more like when) someone pushes the lever all the way forward and then revs the engine a bit, as they've gotten into the habit of doing when they shut down their previous car, that could be messy.

And the safety feature of automatically engaging Park when the engine is turned off is pretty well replicated in cars with the standard linear shift configuration by having the warning system beep and flash a light if you fail to engage Park after shutting down. Both my Infiniti and my wife's Subaru do that, as I suspect many other recent cars do. So, again, the benefit of the change seems pretty minimal and the increased risk, pretty clear.

But I'm sure it won't take long to adapt. It's just that I don't see the point of forcing that adaptation.

GenesisYEG

Been here awhile...
Edmonton, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
As an owner of a 2.0T Prestige:

- acceleration from a stop is anemic. Shows up mostly when trying to make left hand turns through traffic gaps.
- gas mileage is still not great even with the lower-tier engine and using Eco mode
- can't turn off the auto stop/start permanently
- as far as I can tell, you can't turn off the adaptive part of the adaptive cruise control, and it's very aggressive in how quickly and often it slows down
- headrests do not adjust forward/back
- no ambient lighting
- radio controls work opposite depending on whether you have the radio screen up - pressing "up" will move the stations two different ways
- built-in nav comes up with some pretty creative (awful) routes once in a while
- back seat room is tight - not sure it's good enough for a road trip with adults
- no power trunk close - very annoying when you've got a bunch of groceries in your hand
Hold the Adaptive Cruise Control Distance button for a few seconds to disable Adaptive (Smart) mode. It will say "Cruise Control" instead of "Smart Cruise Control".

TOGuy242

Registered Member
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
For me, that stupid Park button would be number one. I know a lot of cars have it now, but I think it's a purposeless change from what people are accustomed to and it may be dangerous until drivers adapt.
I'm actually starting to like it! Took a little getting used to it, but it's great that when you're parking no matter if you're in R or D, you just hit the button and you're in Park. I know it's different, but I'm seeing the benefit of it now ...

Buckdes

Sorry but what is ambient lighting? Like the interior 'cabin' lights? I always think of those as more for 'boy racer' cars versus a luxury vehicle?
There is no lighting in the car except for the overhead lights which are to much to have on while driving, there is no lighting in door handles or the center console or below the dash where u put your phone and change, it is basically pitch black

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
There is no lighting in the car except for the overhead lights which are to much to have on while driving, there is no lighting in door handles or the center console or below the dash where u put your phone and change, it is basically pitch black
Oh...that DOES suck. Other than the center roof light (that can be set to turn on with doors open)...are there at least any reading lights?...including back passenger.

Are there vanity mirrors with lights in the visors?

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Biggest ones for me:

- park button on transmission - not the fact it is a button, but its placement is awkward
- non led rear turn signal - looks cheap
- lack of ambient lighting
- better graphics/options on the screen in the IP (fully digital would be even better but I assume that will come on the next G90/G80 and then to the G70)
- smallish NAV screen (9.2" screen from the G80/90 would be better and there is plenty of room and those cars could use a 12" screen so they can still feel better than the G70 guys :p )
- push button on driver and passenger door handle for keyless entry. Should be on all 4 doors and should be sensor.

Now it is worth mentioning that everything I have listed above is definitely in the minor pet peeve category and if anyone asks, I still love the car and have zero second thoughts regarding buying it. But I like to be critical and all of the items above could be fixed/improved for a cost of about $1K to the price of the car and imo would make it an even better slam dunk compared to the German competition.

Oh, and after almost 8,000km on my 3.3T I feel like it could use some more power sometimes. ;)

Buckdes

Oh...that DOES suck. Other than the center roof light (that can be set to turn on with doors open)...are there at least any reading lights?...including back passenger.

Are there vanity mirrors with lights in the visors?
Yes lights overhead in back and on visors, only lights overhead seem to be the same ones that turn on when the door opens

Buckdes

Biggest ones for me:

- park button on transmission - not the fact it is a button, but its placement is awkward
- better graphics/options on the screen in the IP (fully digital would be even better but I assume that will come on the next G90/G80 and then to the G70)
- smallish NAV screen (9.2" screen from the G80/90 would be better and there is plenty of room and those cars could use a 12" screen so they can still feel better than the G70 guys :p )
- push button on driver and passenger door handle for keyless entry. Should be on all 4 doors and should be sensor.

Now it is worth mentioning that everything I have listed above is definitely in the minor pet peeve category and if anyone asks, I still love the car and have zero second thoughts regarding buying it. But I like to be critical and all of the items above could be fixed/improved for a cost of about $1K to the price of the car and imo would make it an even better slam dunk compared to the German competition.

Oh, and after almost 8,000km on my 3.3T I feel like it could use some more power sometimes. ;)
I agree with you on every one of those except the sensor keyless entry, i found in winter when wearing certain gloves some cars dont pick up the hand right away but you are right , i would gladly pay $1500 bucks more for some ambeint lighting and led turn signals as well as a larger widscreen nav setup

Buckdes

Biggest ones for me:

The part i dont like is i bet alot of these items will be coming in the next model year of the G70 and we are shit outta luck, at least for a couple years until trade in is possible lol

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The part i dont like is i bet alot of these items will be coming in the next model year of the G70 and we are shit outta luck, at least for a couple years until trade in is possible lol
I couldn't agree more. I bet that at least the LED rear turning lights and some ambient lighting will be added in the next model year.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums