What things you don't like in the G70?

smorvay

Villa Rica, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
As joschneider said, hopefully the engine noise is because of the enhanced engine note. It should be in the Vehicle settings in the infotainment.

How was the road trip for you? Comfortable? How'd it compare to your last car?
I have the engine sound enhancement turned off. First thing I tried. It's still very noisy.

The trip went great. The seats were extremely comfortable once I got them adjusted.

The car has MASSIVE power that is there from the moment you touch the gas, all the way through to the top speeds I reached. (and they were way higher than I probably should have gone) The power caught me by surprise several times until I learned not to be so heavy on the pedal.

The handling is also incredible. This is my first AWD vehicle so I can't compare it to anything, but this car sticks to the ground like it's glued there and reacts to the steering wheel like it knew ahead of time where you wanted to go. It really is quite impressive.

My previous car was a 2011 Acura TL so there isn't much comparison. I loved the Acura. It was without a doubt the most reliable, comfortable car I have ever owned, to date.

Because of that, my decision this time was between the TLX and the G70. The TLX was the safe choice, but it just didn't excite me. The G70 made my man parts tingle and that's what really made it my choice.

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So, I just got my 3.3T AWD G70 Sport. I like the car, but there are a couple of things that I'm not too happy with.

First off, the engine noise is loud. Like really loud. When I start the car in the garage it sounds like there's no oil circulating. It's off the charts loud.

To call it a sedan is a joke. Sure, it has 4 doors, but the back seat is only usable for small children and pets. An adult, assuming they can even get in there, would be extremely uncomfortable after about 5 minutes back there. I'm 5'8" and I tried to sit behind the driver's seat and could barely squeeze myself in there.

There is substantially less room in this car and the trunk, than other cars in this class.

USB in the arm rest is for charging only. I wish it was also good for media. The first thing I did with my G70 was take it on an 1,800 mile trip. So I had the Android Auto running through the main USB but no place for a memory stick with music on it.

It takes FOREVER for the connected services to do anything, i.e. start the car, lock the doors etc.. I wish they had put the remote start on the key fob like most other cars.

The only thing above that makes me 2nd guess my purchase is the engine noise. The rest of it is just a nuisance.

Now, all that being said, there is a much longer list of things I love about the car. I'll detail that elsewhere.
You are exaggerating regarding the rear seats. We’ve all discussed this already.

You CAN use USB for media. Perhaps try the one near the wireless charger.

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
If it's noisy in your garage, I can understand that even with the active sound turned off. The exhaust can get kinda loud:

I think there's not much that can be done about garage noise except opening the garage beforehand or something. If you mean engine noise in the cabin during driving, then you could try keeping the drive mode in Smart/Eco to keep the engine in low revs.

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
If you are listening to the exhaust in the garage with the door closed...I guess it doesn't really matter as you won't be around much longer. LOL.

mdb801

Registered Member
Arizona
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
"Loudness" is subjective, so people will have differing opinions on the engine noise. I wish it was a bit louder on the highest enhancement setting. When you're inside the car and driving in comfort mode, the engine is a kitten. On that note, I'm really impressed with the difference between comfort and sport settings. In my Q50, the different drive modes were virtually identical. The shift points might have been a tad different, but I often wouldn't notice when I forgot to change to sport. In the G70 there is a massive difference between modes. In Comfort, the G70 upshifts at every opportunity to give the car a more subdued feel. In Sport, the engine lets you rev to your heart's content. I've really liked the shift logic.

50jae

Hasn't posted much yet...
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hah I wish it was a bit louder in enhanced mode, but still great as is.

There is an annoying rattle coming from the rear passenger area/trunk and it's killing me trying to find the source. I can only hear it on certain rough road patches, not at all on smooth/bumps over roads. It might be the headliner at the rear but still not sure. I am making small changes 1 by 1 to the seat belts, rear seat adjustments, etc...

I'm getting 19 mpg with mostly city driving in custom sport mode. Could be better but still breaking in at 550 miles

Otherwise I still love the car. Heads turn all day 😎

joschneider

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have the engine sound enhancement turned off. First thing I tried. It's still very noisy.

The trip went great. The seats were extremely comfortable once I got them adjusted.

The car has MASSIVE power that is there from the moment you touch the gas, all the way through to the top speeds I reached. (and they were way higher than I probably should have gone) The power caught me by surprise several times until I learned not to be so heavy on the pedal.

The handling is also incredible. This is my first AWD vehicle so I can't compare it to anything, but this car sticks to the ground like it's glued there and reacts to the steering wheel like it knew ahead of time where you wanted to go. It really is quite impressive.

My previous car was a 2011 Acura TL so there isn't much comparison. I loved the Acura. It was without a doubt the most reliable, comfortable car I have ever owned, to date.

Because of that, my decision this time was between the TLX and the G70. The TLX was the safe choice, but it just didn't excite me. The G70 made my man parts tingle and that's what really made it my choice.
The
"Loudness" is subjective, so people will have differing opinions on the engine noise. I wish it was a bit louder on the highest enhancement setting. When you're inside the car and driving in comfort mode, the engine is a kitten. On that note, I'm really impressed with the difference between comfort and sport settings. In my Q50, the different drive modes were virtually identical. The shift points might have been a tad different, but I often wouldn't notice when I forgot to change to sport. In the G70 there is a massive difference between modes. In Comfort, the G70 upshifts at every opportunity to give the car a more subdued feel. In Sport, the engine lets you rev to your heart's content. I've really liked the shift logic.
i actually wouldn’t mind if they went further with both the comfort and sport shifting logic. Comfort feels like it still shifts too soon and sport could hold the gears even 500 rpm higher and I would be happy. But I agree with the sound, I have it on enhanced too and I wouldn’t mind more

mdb801

Registered Member
Arizona
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The

i actually wouldn’t mind if they went further with both the comfort and sport shifting logic. Comfort feels like it still shifts too soon and sport could hold the gears even 500 rpm higher and I would be happy. But I agree with the sound, I have it on enhanced too and I wouldn’t mind more
I agree that Comfort shifts too soon. I’ve gone to pass in Comfort and wondered what happened to all my power...oh, I’m in 12th gear at 40 mph. Good reminder to always change to my Custom setting. I’m happy with the Sport logic but I see your point.

Toddasaurus

Registered Member
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The

Are you in manual mode? If so, try disabling traction control. Should let you use all the revs.

joschneider

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Are you in manual mode? If so, try disabling traction control. Should let you use all the revs.
It’s not that I’m not using all the revs, I just want auto mode to hold the gears a little longer during mid-aggressive driving. If I’m 9/10ths or above it won’t matter because I’ll be using the paddles

mikemu30

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
you feel the exhaust is loud? to me it sounds perfectly normal, and if anything, it needs to be louder! (this is a sports sedan after all) Have you checked to see if you have your synth noise turned all the way up to the enhanced setting? could be the cause

also a road trip during the break in period? whew youre brave, but glad you got a chance to test the car out. Im loving my 3.3 too
He is probably referring to that few second engine rattle that many Hyundai engines experience at start up. It does in fact sound like its a lack of oil if thats what he hears. I had it with my Azera for five years.

rapidus

Registered Member
If it's noisy in your garage, I can understand that even with the active sound turned off. The exhaust can get kinda loud:

I think there's not much that can be done about garage noise except opening the garage beforehand or something. If you mean engine noise in the cabin during driving, then you could try keeping the drive mode in Smart/Eco to keep the engine in low revs.
Did we ever figure out what color that was in the guy's video? Mallorca blue looks nothing like that.

smorvay

Villa Rica, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You are exaggerating regarding the rear seats. We’ve all discussed this already.

You CAN use USB for media. Perhaps try the one near the wireless charger.

I don't think I'm exaggerating at all about the rear seats. I'm 5'8" tall and it was horribly uncomfortable back there. Hell, I couldn't even get my feet in with the front seat in the position I like to drive in.

I know you can use the USB near the wireless charger for media, but I had that one taken up with the android auto connection. It would be nice if you could ALSO use the one in the center console for media, but it appears that's just for charging.

It's engine noise that I'm hearing, not exhaust. I like the sound coming out of the exhaust.

I don't have the door down when I start the car, and even in Eco mode the engine noise in the cabin is higher than what it was in my Acura.

If you are listening to the exhaust in the garage with the door closed...I guess it doesn't really matter as you won't be around much longer. LOL.
Of course I have the garage door open.

Sport mode is a beast! Surprises me every time I'm in sport mode and floor it! Of course you pay for that fun with gas, but I'm ok with that.

He is probably referring to that few second engine rattle that many Hyundai engines experience at start up. It does in fact sound like its a lack of oil if thats what he hears. I had it with my Azera for five years.
This is my first Genesis/Hyundai so this may be what it is.

Rmsanger

I don't think I'm exaggerating at all about the rear seats. I'm 5'8" tall and it was horribly uncomfortable back there. Hell, I couldn't even get my feet in with the front seat in the position I like to drive in.

This is my first Genesis/Hyundai so this may be what it is.
Can you confirm exactly how you measured the back seat rear leg room? Was the driver's seat properly positioned for your driving seating? Then you went and sat behind an appropriate 5'8" driver? So essentially your leg room was a 5'8" person behind a 5'8" person?

Have you also tested a car seat? If so was it in an infant position or more upright / toddler position?

Toddasaurus

Registered Member
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Can you confirm exactly how you measured the back seat rear leg room? Was the driver's seat properly positioned for your driving seating? Then you went and sat behind an appropriate 5'8" driver? So essentially your leg room was a 5'8" person behind a 5'8" person?

Have you also tested a car seat? If so was it in an infant position or more upright / toddler position?

I'm 5'11.5" and I was able to sit behind the driver's seat in my normal seating position. I didn't think it was that bad, but my head would hit the roof unless I kind of craned my neck forward a bit. It's not roomy by any means, though. I think it's all relative - if you're accustomed to an SUV, then the G70 would be tight in comparison. But I've always driven compact cars, and this is in line with what my expectations were.

One thing to note, though, is that I usually drive with the seat fairly close to the steering wheel, and I don't recline the seat very much either.

Also, I was able to fit my daughter's car seat behind the driver's seat without problems. She is 2, it's a forward facing convertable type, so it's fairly big.

PD705

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm also wondering if this isn't just something with the way smorvay sits. I'm also 5'8", but I have a pretty upright seating position (too much time spent around racing). I can easily sit behind myself. Sure, the underseat space sucks and I wouldn't want to spend 4 hours back there, but it's definitely usable. I also have my daughter's large rear-facing child seat (in infant recline position) behind my seat 99% of the time and it fits with room to spare.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
For those of you with families and complaining about back seats, are you guys using the G70 as the main vehicle or only vehicle?
I personally don't care about the back seats even though it is slightly smaller than my Acura. I have 2 boys and they are only ever in my car if my wife needs me to pick them up or if we're both doing seperate things at the same time.
But using it as a main vehicle for families knowing that is is a RWD based COMPACT sedan and yet complaining about it is a bit ridiculous!
Also driving in a seating position with your arms stretched out is incorrect.

danygenesis

Registered Member
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
For those of you with families and complaining about back seats, are you guys using the G70 as the main vehicle or only vehicle?
I personally don't care about the back seats even though it is slightly smaller than my Acura. I have 2 boys and they are only ever in my car if my wife needs me to pick them up or if we're both doing seperate things at the same time.
But using it as a main vehicle for families knowing that is is a RWD based COMPACT sedan and yet complaining about it is a bit ridiculous!
Also driving in a seating position with your arms stretched out is incorrect.
Couldn't agree more. The G70 is not a family car. It's a RWD Luxury Sport Compact Sedan, is not meant to carry a family for a long trip. Simple as that.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.