What things you don't like in the G70?

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well in honour of it being -46*C (-50.8*F) this morning I'm going to selfishly ask for Genesis to up the interior vent count to about 25 for the G70. I think that should do. I want to be fully encapsulated with vents ;). My G70 was not a happy camper this morning driving to work.
Is that with the wind chill? Where are you at?...Alberta?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Well in honour of it being -46*C (-50.8*F) this morning I'm going to selfishly ask for Genesis to up the interior vent count to about 25 for the G70. I think that should do. I want to be fully encapsulated with vents ;). My G70 was not a happy camper this morning driving to work.
At that temperature I would have dumped a bag of charcoal in the consul and lit it. Or a burn barrel in the back seat.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Fuel economy takes a nosedive when it is that cold. Last week at -36C with windchill, I just watched the needle go down 20% faster!

TOGuy242

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Speaking of winter, couple of things I noticed yesterday while driving in what seemed like a blizzard below. This is the first time in in a decade I’ve driven an automatic in snow, so taking some getting used to ...

- Eco mode seems to be a good setting as the less aggressive shifts work well in slippery conditions.
- The paddle shifters are awesome for down (up?) shifting when coming to a stop.
- The proximity sensors don't like blowing snow or ice: I was getting a lot of false notifications.
- The rain sensor is mediocre in winter: didn't seem to consistently pick up when there was snow on the windshield.
- The only real problem was that the wipers accumulate a LOT of ice. I had to stop several times to get out of the car to shake it off.

Grip with AWD and Sottozeros was great - very little sliding, and very little spin with acceleration.

PD705

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
On the bright side, the big 3.3 generates heat pretty damn well.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Speaking of winter, couple of things I noticed yesterday while driving in what seemed like a blizzard below. This is the first time in in a decade I’ve driven an automatic in snow, so taking some getting used to ...

- Eco mode seems to be a good setting as the less aggressive shifts work well in slippery conditions.
- The paddle shifters are awesome for down (up?) shifting when coming to a stop.
- The proximity sensors don't like blowing snow or ice: I was getting a lot of false notifications.
- The rain sensor is mediocre in winter: didn't seem to consistently pick up when there was snow on the windshield.
- The only real problem was that the wipers accumulate a LOT of ice. I had to stop several times to get out of the car to shake it off.

Grip with AWD and Sottozeros was great - very little sliding, and very little spin with acceleration.
I turn off Automatic Wipers for the winter otherwise it will go on when a salt truck splashes its crap on me.
Don't want it to go off semi dry with sand on it.
Haven't had the frozen wiper issue. How slow are you driving for snow to accumulate in that cavity?

TOGuy242

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I turn off Automatic Wipers for the winter otherwise it will go on when a salt truck splashes its crap on me.
Don't want it to go off semi dry with sand on it.
Haven't had the frozen wiper issue. How slow are you driving for snow to accumulate in that cavity?
Downtown Toronto in the worst snow storm we've had in 50 years ... wasn't going very fast!! That certainly contributed ...

tx_boy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
weird hesitation when I accelerate after a cold start. To further explain the hesitation, it's almost as if the vehicle loses power and then it comes on a second later when I turn and accelerate. This literally only happens after a cold start, so I'm not sure what the issue is. I'm using premium fuel and I'm on my second full tank. I can't see this being a warm-up issue as cars don't need to idle for 20 mins to operate correctly. I'll be at the dealer this week to hopefully have both issues remediated.
They will not hit Boost until the engine is warmed up to normal running temp. Every turbo Hyundai/KIA/Genesis does this to protect the engine. That is most likely what you are experiencing.

PD705

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
They will not hit Boost until the engine is warmed up to normal running temp. Every turbo Hyundai/KIA/Genesis does this to protect the engine. That is most likely what you are experiencing.
It's actually not to protect the engine, but rather for emissions. The electronic wastegates are kept wide open on cold start so exhaust gasses bypass the turbochargers and are instead flowed by the catalytic converters to speed light-off. Cars are at their least efficient from a pollution standpoint until the catalytic converters get up to temperature, so this is prioritized.

This is the hesitation - you're calling for boost and not getting it. Totally normal condition for the first few minutes of driving. The side benefit is, as noted by tx_boy, it does protect the engine from overly aggressive throttle applications when closed.

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Has anyone had any issues with having to get gas too often? The fuel tank size in this class is pretty small overall (15 gallons I think), but I wonder if the lower fuel economy of the G70 vs its competitors exacerbates this issue.

Gee Bee

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

danygenesis

Registered Member
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Unless I'm missing something, the only way to set climate to Bi-Level is to push the selector switch above the dial climate controls (first switch on the panel starting from the left). There is no light or other indication that shows this setting is engaged.
Yes, that's the sync button, the light turns on when Sync is on and Bi-level is off, that's when A/C temperature respond only to the driver's settings and not to the passenger, in other words it synchronize both temperatures with the driver's preset. Other way to see that is on sync mode is on the center console screen when you press the climate button.

mike373

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Its been in the shop since last week for this issue...first technician said it was normal vehicle behavior, but I did not buy it as I’ve been on this forum and look at countless reviews before I purchased a car, and there was no mention of this experience. Went to the dealer last Friday to drive with a technician to recreate the feeling. As I’ve done every morning since owning the car, I mad a turn after a cold start and boom there it is.
He tells me this is normal behavior, so I requesf we take out the same vehicle to see it this is in fact normal. Started that vehicle up, made a turn, and it was as smooth as butter, like it should be.

To sum it up my vehicle has been in the shop and I have gotten no answers as to what the issue could be. They contacted the foreman for the area and he was with my car Monday and Tuesday. I was told he did a test on the vehicle and contacted Hyundai for further guidance. They have yet to respond.

On a side note I’ve been driving a damn Santa Fe for the last week. Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum.

Gee Bee

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

danygenesis

Registered Member
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I just checked. Pressing the Bi-Level does not turn off Sync. It does turn off AUTO. Pressing Windshield Defrost also turns off AUTO. I suppose you know Bi-Level is ON if AUTO is OFF and Windshield Defrost is also OFF.
My mistake, I thought you were talking about the Sync button (the one at the lower right)

Rmsanger

I saw a Stinger in the worst shade of Gray (mud gray) driving into work this morning.

I liked the profile of the car, that the door handles matched the color of the car (better than G70), I prefer the more conservative stinger grill to the G70.

I could actually deal with a Stinger if the chrome vents (hood and fender were blacked out) and de-badge the Kia. Just wish it had the lux interior of the G70, those proportions would be perfect (for me).