What things you don't like in the G70?

joschneider

Registered Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Agree--can afford the other brands but prefer Genesis. (I did consider Mercedes and Audi this time--but preferred G70.) I also appreciate good value and believe Genesis is that.
I also have a healthy dislike for BMW--primarily the dealership salespeople who I found obnoxious--so BMW just not an option for me. :)
Also everyone knows BMW drivers are douches and dont use turn signals, dont want to be looped in with that haha

COToad

Finally a G70 owner!
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Castle Rock, CO
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Was referring to those value bins at stores, not component sharing. Just meaning that the Genesis is a value oriented luxury brand. At least right now. Targeting folks who cant afford one of the established brands like BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc.
I think you've missed the point of the pricing. They aren't pricing it low to target people with lower income. They are pricing it lower to get higher income people to take a chance on an upstart and because they know the value of the badge. Lexus did the same thing and then after building their brand they pushed their pricing up to the levels of the germans. They may get some people that can't afford the established brands, but they are putting their best in these cars to make sure they can increase the brand image and margins in the future. They already own two value brands in Hyundai and Kia, no need for a 3rd.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think you've missed the point of the pricing. They aren't pricing it low to target people with lower income. They are pricing it lower to get higher income people to take a chance on an upstart and because they know the value of the badge. Lexus did the same thing and then after building their brand they pushed their pricing up to the levels of the germans. They may get some people that can't afford the established brands, but they are putting their best in these cars to make sure they can increase the brand image and margins in the future. They already own two value brands in Hyundai and Kia, no need for a 3rd.
The Koreans are great at Penetration Pricing. They did it with the cell phone, appliance, and TV industry and pretty much wiped out some Japanese brands!

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Not a third value/economy brand; a value luxury brand. Bang for buck. It's not like these cars are inexpensive but they actually are once you factor in the amenities and standard options when compared to the competitors.

That's what the company specializes in. Good value for price and a good warranty. That's why you see so many Hyundais and Kias on the road.

Now they're trying that formula in the luxury market.

FoggyNotion22

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Drove the G70 For over a week as a loaner while my G80 was in the garage getting fixed.

Things I liked:
-Lane Keep assist, is way better at staying in the lane without constant nudging of the steering wheel. I was able to take my hands off for quite some time on the prairie roads.

Things I don't like:
-Leg room, is horrifically limited
-Seats, are really uncomfortable for any lengthy drives (I did 11 hrs straight)... wife said the back seats were way more comfortable, and the kid was upset that she gave up the better seat
- wind noise, was louder than I'm use too
- clicking in the steering wheel, every time you centre the steering wheel from a left movement it clicks.
- smell of burning rubber, have no idea what that is about, but concerning
- Auto stop/ start feature, very aggressive and jarring at times
- Unknown Stopping, driving on the highway and twice in the same session the car starting stopping as I was passing a car in the slow lane no traffic in front of me. Tried replicating on my own and couldn't figure out why the car wanted to stop on its own out of the blue.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Things I don't like:

- clicking in the steering wheel, every time you centre the steering wheel from a left movement it clicks.
- smell of burning rubber, have no idea what that is about, but concerning
- Unknown Stopping, driving on the highway and twice in the same session the car starting stopping as I was passing a car in the slow lane no traffic in front of me. Tried replicating on my own and couldn't figure out why the car wanted to stop on its own out of the blue.

Huh... I've never had any sort of clicking sensation in the steering wheel. Not have I ever smelt burning rubber (unless I actually was burning rubber, by lighting up those rear tires). Also I've not experienced this unknown stopping problem either.

These definitely do not seem like normal things attributed to our cars. I would recommend taking it to your dealer and have them check it out.

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Sounds like you didnt turn off the lane keeping assist? Also, I've never experienced stopping, clicking, or burning rubber. I'm not even sure my car would stop itself in an emergency because I've had some close calls with idiot drivers and it didnt alert or try to stop itself. Maybe my collision avoidance isnt working?

As for the seats, I spend two hours commuting when I do choose to drive this car and I find the seats very comfortable.

I agree on the wind and tire noise. My RAM is quieter. This is one of the things I'm most disappointed about considering that this is supposed to be a luxury car.

Soma

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The seats are terrible if improperly set up. You really need to fiddle with the 16-way adjustment to find what suits you.

My first 2 weeks with the car I was having back pains from driving, but once I figured out a good position for me I was peachy. I keep one setting for comfortable regular driving and another for more spirited driving (if pre-planned)

Falldog

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Same for me w/ the seats. I'm worried one day they're going to disconnect the battery and I'm going to have to start all over again.

DefinitelyMaybe

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
-- Auto trunk open. I’ve had the car a week and have already inadvertantly set this thing off twice when I was moving stuff around in my garage with the keys in my pocket. I disabled the feature. Would prefer the foot wavy thing.
Easy to solve. Just don't lock the car in the garage. I never carry my keys at home and on occasion want to put something in or take something out of the car. Locking it seems silly to me as the door is closed.

The purpose of the trunk opening is for when you hands are full. When my hands are holding packages I surely don't want to be dancing around on one foot in back of my car. I can't do the Tango when sober and hands are empty so I certainly don't want to try it in a dark rainy parking lot on one foot.

Falldog

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I get locking your car in your garage, they're not always the most secure places. But I agree, unlocking your car while you're doing work around it would be the easiest solution. That said I hardly use the auto open, and would prefer the foot wavy thing as well.

My new complaint about the G70 is every time I drive another car I end up turning it off and forgetting to put them in park.

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Winnipeg
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
- Auto brake hold needs to be re-enabled on every start up.
- Auto trunk open. I’ve had the car a week and have already inadvertantly set this thing off twice when I was moving stuff around in my garage with the keys in my pocket. I disabled the feature. Would prefer the foot wavy thing.
- Clari Fi. This is supposed to make compressed audio sound better, but when I played some music on Spotify, it caused a little buzz/rattle in the front speaker, like the audio was clipping.
- Non linear brake feel. Even though I keep pedal pressure constant, I feel the car braking harder and harder in graduated steps as I come to a stop. Makes it hard to brake smoothly.
- Sunroof shade isn’t backed by anything hard. I’m afraid I may poke something through it at some point.
- Brushed aluminum trim looks amazing but will glare something awful when the sun hits it.
Sorry but I wish there was a thumbs down... I know this thread it about things we don't like but aren't we just getting a bit nit picky?

Truck Norris

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
- Non linear brake feel. Even though I keep pedal pressure constant, I feel the car braking harder and harder in graduated steps as I come to a stop. Makes it hard to brake smoothly.
This is the transmission downshifting you are feeling, watch the RPM's. I agree with you it is very non-linear feeling and if you are not driving aggressive (and don't need the power band) it is annoying somewhat.

But yeah, we are all nitpicking at this point as the car is so great.

I'll add I wish the stock rotors were a higher grade of steel, there is far too much rust far too quickly after it rains or sitting due to humidity. Looking forward to wearing the stock brakes and rotors out to replace them with something better.

Soma

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
This is the transmission downshifting you are feeling, watch the RPM's. I agree with you it is very non-linear feeling and if you are not driving aggressive (and don't need the power band) it is annoying somewhat.

But yeah, we are all nitpicking at this point as the car is so great.

I'll add I wish the stock rotors were a higher grade of steel, there is far too much rust far too quickly after it rains or sitting due to humidity. Looking forward to wearing the stock brakes and rotors out to replace them with something better.
I give my rotors (and the barrels of the rim) a quick scrub when I wash my wheels. I also live in California so I doubt it faces the same conditions as the rest of the world, but the red comes right off. I actually had someone compliment my wheels and "the back wheels" :hillarious:

Gnarlly

Maryland
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
To add to the chorus, gas mileage (2.0T RWD). Highway MPG is actually not bad (higher 20's), but in city and stop and go driving this engine is terribly inefficient, averaging in the teens.

G-823538

One very ret@rded design (or maybe I am too ret@rd to figure it out: you cannot lift up the windshield wipers to change the wiper blades; it will go up maybe an inch before it gets blocked by the body panel. I tried to turn on the wipers and immediately turn off the car, the wipers will still finish the wiping motion and go back to the standard position.

I can still change the blades even with just that one inch space but still a very dumbass design. (I haven't checked the owners manual to see if there is a special way to do it)
The manual tells you how to get the blades up on the middle of the window so you can change the blades

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Found a couple more things that bug me. Body roll even in sport mode (3.3T Sport pkg). Despite the glowing reviews, the car is more powerful than the suspension can handle. Reminds me of the muscle cars from the 60s. It gets super squirrelly when the throttle is mashed.

Also dont like the sunroof cover. Its floppy and already kinda sagging. Other cars I've driven have a hard cover, not just a stretched piece of fabric.

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
To add to the chorus, gas mileage (2.0T RWD). Highway MPG is actually not bad (higher 20's), but in city and stop and go driving this engine is terribly inefficient, averaging in the teens.
Surprised... I have a 3.3T and average mid 20s mixed and high 20s to 30-32 highway and that is not even trying. I spend a lot of time in sport mode.