What type of AWD system does the G70 use?

Slides

Hasn't posted much yet...
NJ
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I know the top trim has an LSD and I think there is brake torque vectoring. Along with power distribution split front to back.

But how does the side to side torque distribution work? Can it distribute 100% power to the outside wheels during cornering like the Acura SH-AWD or Audi Torsen Quattro with the sports rear differential?

Anyone have any technical details on H-TRAC?

devellis

Been here awhile...
North Carolina
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I'm pretty sure that the Genesis lacks the type of true torque vectoring you're describing, where torque can be selectively directed to any wheel. It essentially mimics true torque vectoring by selectively applying braking to a specific wheel. It sort of simulates that by selectively applying braking. This approach has become common and is often referred to as torque vectoring by many manufacturers. Also, splitting power distribution between front and rear wheels is a limited type of torque vectoring. But I think the stricter (and original) use of the term describes actually selectively providing torque through the action of the differential to each wheel to control the car.

I don't know all of the details of what the Genesis does but I've never heard of its "torque vectoring" described as anything more than selectively braking. That's certainly not a bad system and it's what a lot of manufacturers describe these days as torque vectoring. Braking an inside wheel will help sharpen the curve execution. But it falls short of what you're describing, I'm pretty sure, although I'm not familiar with the Audi or Acura systems. I think Audi has at least a version of the Quattro system with true torque vectoring, each wheel receiving differential torque as needed. The traction control system on Genesis and other brands may attenuate torque to any wheel that is on the verge of spinning, and maybe that's what you're describing. But I think of true torque vectoring as selectively distributing torque via the differential as a means of enhancing control in corners.

Slides

NJ
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I'm pretty sure that the Genesis lacks the type of true torque vectoring you're describing, where torque can be selectively directed to any wheel. It essentially mimics true torque vectoring by selectively applying braking to a specific wheel. It sort of simulates that by selectively applying braking. This approach has become common and is often referred to as torque vectoring by many manufacturers. Also, splitting power distribution between front and rear wheels is a limited type of torque vectoring. But I think the stricter (and original) use of the term describes actually selectively providing torque through the action of the differential to each wheel to control the car.

I don't know all of the details of what the Genesis does but I've never heard of its "torque vectoring" described as anything more than selectively braking. That's certainly not a bad system and it's what a lot of manufacturers describe these days as torque vectoring. Braking an inside wheel will help sharpen the curve execution. But it falls short of what you're describing, I'm pretty sure, although I'm not familiar with the Audi or Acura systems. I think Audi has at least a version of the Quattro system with true torque vectoring, each wheel receiving differential torque as needed. The traction control system on Genesis and other brands may attenuate torque to any wheel that is on the verge of spinning, and maybe that's what you're describing. But I think of true torque vectoring as selectively distributing torque via the differential as a means of enhancing control in corners.
Correct. My Audi S5 currently has the sports rear differential which can transfer almost all of the power to the outside wheel when cornering. Makes driving very predictable on sharp cornering.

Here's how Audi describes it: Audi Technology Portal - Sport differential

I guess the G70 will only have brake torque vectoring as you described it. Will be interesting to see the difference in real world driving as the G70 is also a slightly lighter car than the S5. And if it's less front nose heavy than the S5, it might compare favorably with the Audi.

PD705

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The G70 lacks torque vectoring but at least does have a true mechanical LSD, a multi-plate clutch type unit supplied by GKN. The AWD system itself is from Magna Powertrain, mechanically identical to BMW's xDrive. What differences there are lie on the software side, where HTRAC lets more torque go to the rear axle (up to 90%). It's a solid system, one of the more advanced in the industry.

KDX

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
On one of the review videos the reviewer stated that the AWD system in the G70 was made by the same company that does the AWD for the BMW 3 series. I can't confirm that though. It was either Motormouth or Everyday Reviews who did the review.

Slides

NJ
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Looks like it's comparable in its class, but not to cars like the S5 etc. Good to know.

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Interesting info here; I could have sworn years ago I read that the system on the Genesis sedan was Haldex, but please please take that with a very low degree of credibility. And even if by some mystical alignment of stars my statement were correct, it may not apply to the G70.

Edit: Here's at least what got me thinking it was by Haldex, though admittedly, 1) the article is very old and 2) Nowhere does it say that which vehicles the system Haldex developed ended up on. But here it is, nonetheless, if anyone is curious. So in other words, I'm contributing absolutely nothing to this thread :). Uh, good talk. (I'll see myself out :) ).
Haldex developing AWD system for Hyundai

Slides

NJ
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Would make sense for Haldex to gain more market share since Audi and others was moving towards Torsen type AWD

KDX

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
A snip from an article..
Car Throttle recently took an extensive look into both systems to see which one is better, Audi’s Quattro or BMW’s xDrive all-wheel drive. It turns out, that there really isn’t an answer. Both systems are so significantly different, which each having its own pros and cons, that they’re actually better than the other at certain things.

For instance, Audi’s Quattro system is a fully mechanical system, with just some stability control interference. It uses a center Torsen (Torque-Sensing) differential, that can “sense” which axle is slipping and then lock the diff to the other axle to create power to the wheels. Once that other axle gains traction, the diff unlocks and reverts back to its normal 50/50 torque split.

This isn’t to be confused with smaller Audis’ Haldex-based all-wheel drive systems. All transverse (sideways) mounted engined Audis, such as the Audi A3 and Q3, actually use a Haldex-based system. This doesn’t use the Torsen diff as the proper Quattro-equipped Audis, even though it says “Quattro” on the back of the cars. Only longitudinal-engined Audis have proper Quattro.

BMW’s xDrive system works quite differently. It uses a multi-plate clutch that can vary torque between the axles. However, under normal driving conditions, the rear axle gets 100 percent of the power, as a BMW should. Even under slipping conditions, BMW’s xDrive is designed to send more power to the rear wheels if possible.
BMW' xDrive AWD vs Audi's Quattro AWD

Toddasaurus

Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
The G70 lacks torque vectoring but at least does have a true mechanical LSD, a multi-plate clutch type unit supplied by GKN. The AWD system itself is from Magna Powertrain, mechanically identical to BMW's xDrive. What differences there are lie on the software side, where HTRAC lets more torque go to the rear axle (up to 90%). It's a solid system, one of the more advanced in the industry.

The H-TRAC AWD system was developed in conjunction w/ Magna.

Here's an older article about it.

Winter Testing the Hyundai Genesis H-TRAC » AutoGuide.com News
Nice! Thanks for the info, guys. I've been looking everywhere for this but could never find it. Time for me to nerd out.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Here's some info. on the upcoming G/K CK D-AWD system.

RWD at the touch of a button

Everyone I know thinks that the rear-wheel drive (RWD) version of the 2018 Stinger is just better. It's lighter with a more connected, dynamic feel in corners compared to the more neutral all-wheel drive (AWD) Stinger we're currently long-term testing. The new CK D-AWD setup aims to close the dynamic gap, bringing some fun back to the AWD Stinger by simply sending more power to the rear axle. According to Biermann and Kia's engineers, the next Stinger AWD will essentially become a RWD car at the touch of a button.

Mechanically, this means transplanting the limited-slip differential from the current RWD Stinger to rear axle of the D-AWD system to better dole out traction with the increased rear-biased behavior. Electronically, there's new programming for stability control, torque vectoring logic, transmission shift programming and so on. As with the production Stinger, I was able to control these settings via four driving modes:
Sharper Stinger: Testing Kia's upcoming performance-tuned AWD

More here...

First Look: Kia Stinger D-AWD

The indication is that the Stinger will likely get the D-AWD system for the current model, so in all likelihood, the G70 should be getting it as well.

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I just realized something. Hopefully not brought up before. I think Genesis f’d up naming their AWD system. HTRAC. Exactly the same name Hyundai uses !!

Could they not find a different name? Links them back to the brand they want to separate from.

Sure the different parts are still labeled Hyundai...but those are hidden in the engine bay, etc.

TOGuy242

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I just realized something. Hopefully not brought up before. I think Genesis f’d up naming their AWD system. HTRAC. Exactly the same name Hyundai uses !!

Could they not find a different name? Links them back to the brand they want to separate from.

Sure the different parts are still labeled Hyundai...but those are hidden in the engine bay, etc.
One of the reasons I removed the HTRAC badging off the back of mine ... 😉

PD705

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

It was named HTRAC when the 2015 Hyundai Genesis (DH generation) launched, and it was unique to that vehicle. Only recently did Hyundai adopt HTRAC for their mechanically-different system. Genesis will transition to a different name in the near future.

PD705

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Honest answer? My recommendation is simply generic "AWD." It's now universal, not a differentiation - why bother branding it?

jlin101

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Honest answer? My recommendation is simply generic "AWD." It's now universal, not a differentiation - why bother branding it?
My sentiment as well, but unlikely to happen; since Hyundai is all about emulating the Germans, and BMW/Audi/MB/VW all have a unique name for their AWD system. From what I read, HTRAC and X-Drive are practically the same, except for some software.

Toddasaurus

Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
My sentiment as well, but unlikely to happen; since Hyundai is all about emulating the Germans, and BMW/Audi/MB/VW all have a unique name for their AWD system. From what I read, HTRAC and X-Drive are practically the same, except for some software.

There are mechanical differences, namely a multi-plate rear LSD for the G70. BMW has a variety of different rear differentials, depending on the application, but no mechanical multi-plate style LSD that I'm aware of in their X-Drive portfolio.

Magna advertises more than one AWD system, each configurable for a variety of different platforms. I'm hesitant to believe that HTRAC and X-Drive are identical, sans the rear diff. I don't doubt that they are very similar, but I'm willing to bet that there are more than just software changes when comparing the two.

...but, I should probably investigate even further before I make a complete ass out of myself. 🤔

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.