Whats the G70 pricing already !!

Buckdes

Getting familiar with the group...
Thread starter #1
Its close to 2 months before estimated delivery of the g70s and we still have no pricing !!! Lets go already i know its rumored to be high 50000 but it would be nice to get some structure for potential deals in place so i know what to compare to the competition . Is there any chance that the top trim g70 could cost mid 50000 ??

Last edited:

devellis

Been here awhile...
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I don't think anyone knows yet but high 50s will make a lot of its competitors look more attractive. There are some very nice cars near or below that price point that potential Genesis buyers may gravitate toward. More aggressive pricing will make the Genesis a more appealing alternative that some of its competition and I think that's key.

Buckdes

Thread starter #3
That may be what the hold up is but i do agree that around 55000 would be alot more attractive as like you said 55 and up you are looking at some premium cars with known track records and resale value witch is important to me

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
i know its rumored to be high 50000 but it would be nice to get some structure for potential deals in place so i know what to compare to the competition . Is there any chance that the top trim g70 could cost mid 50000 ??
My G80 Ultimate AWD stickered for $55,555. Seems dumb to sticker a smaller car for that price.

GenesisYEG

Been here awhile...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That may be what the hold up is but i do agree that around 55000 would be alot more attractive as like you said 55 and up you are looking at some premium cars with known track records and resale value witch is important to me
An equivalent 340i xDrive is well over $70k...

At mid-high $50s the G70 is a steal for what you get.

My G80 Ultimate AWD stickered for $55,555. Seems dumb to sticker a smaller car for that price.
CAD. A G80 Ultimate in Canada is $65k.

Bamm1

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
This thread is a bit confusing as people in the US and Canada see the price point referenced by the OP VERY differently.

So to sum up....

High 50's in CAD. Very reasonable price.

High 50's in USD. Horrendous!

devellis

Been here awhile...
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
At mid-high $50s the G70 is a steal for what you get.

Well, we really don't know that yet, definitively. Certainly not in the US. The cars aren't here yet. I haven't seen a US-spec road test, let alone the assessments of real drivers. Nor do we have any data on reliability at this point. The dealer network is largely a work in progress. We don't even know all of the car specs, and Kia chopped a lot out of the Stinger when it released in the US. Prices are yet to be announced and we have far less experience with the Genesis brand than we do with BMW. I'm hoping that it turns out to be true that the car will be a great bargain. But it inherently involves a bunch of unknowns and the associated risks. Incurring such risks needs to be offset by aggressive pricing.

I've owned a couple of BMWs. And I'm not rushing out to buy another at the price point they are selling for in comparison to what they have to offer. So, for me, a comparison to a BMW isn't a relative price anchor. More appropriate may be something like an Infiniti Q50 RS400, and they're selling and leasing an extremely competitive prices these days, discounting aggressively. They offer an outstanding dealer experience, and the two I've owned have been great cars. I hope and think the G70 will be even better. But given the unkonwns, I'm not willing to pay a premium to make that bet. Sure, the Q50 RS400 has some limitations. But I know what they are up front and can do a more comprehensive analysis of the trade-offs. Can't yet say the same for the G70. At a great price point I'd run the risk. At something closer to established brands, not so much.

dougjp

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Well, we really don't know that yet, definitively. Certainly not in the US. The cars aren't here yet. I haven't seen a US-spec road test, let alone the assessments of real drivers. Nor do we have any data on reliability at this point. The dealer network is largely a work in progress. We don't even know all of the car specs, and Kia chopped a lot out of the Stinger when it released in the US. Prices are yet to be announced and we have far less experience with the Genesis brand than we do with BMW. I'm hoping that it turns out to be true that the car will be a great bargain. But it inherently involves a bunch of unknowns and the associated risks. Incurring such risks needs to be offset by aggressive pricing.

I've owned a couple of BMWs. And I'm not rushing out to buy another at the price point they are selling for in comparison to what they have to offer. So, for me, a comparison to a BMW isn't a relative price anchor. More appropriate may be something like an Infiniti Q50 RS400, and they're selling and leasing an extremely competitive prices these days, discounting aggressively. They offer an outstanding dealer experience, and the two I've owned have been great cars. I hope and think the G70 will be even better. But given the unkonwns, I'm not willing to pay a premium to make that bet. Sure, the Q50 RS400 has some limitations. But I know what they are up front and can do a more comprehensive analysis of the trade-offs. Can't yet say the same for the G70. At a great price point I'd run the risk. At something closer to established brands, not so much.
Very well said.

In fairness, this has the appearance of what is called a "soft opening" in the retail or restaurant trade, except Genesis is partially advertised it in Canada. Perhaps the auto show circuit moved things up prematurely. Normally a soft opening is unannounced generally.

It does look to me like they really don't want the majority of customers who are typified by needing all information, because they aren't set up to handle them. We aren't the target market which at this time is likely only "first one on the block to own" and not detailed orientated types, perhaps money to spare. As a result we don't yet know prices, specific weights for each trim, cu. ft. of trunk space, pictures of Canadian models in each combination and colour, exterior and interior (ie; there are no full interior shots of the various seating types in each colour), pdf online brochure again without "international model shown", pdf documents such as what wording is in the contract that would be mutually signed if we gave a deposit in advance. I can't even see what the most common wheel used (18") looks like on each colour I might be interested in. And that's just stuff off the top of my head. I'm sure if Korea won't do studio photos of Canadian models for a brochure and an online gallery, then everything is on hold for some time.

In other words, its not a mega corporation here in Canada in terms of numbers of staff that have to attend to everything needed. Its like a small business starting from scratch and some of us know the madness that can be.

rfs830

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I can see the price being the same as the g80 is priced out now. I thinking the g70 sport awd will be around 60k.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I can see the price being the same as the g80 is priced out now. I thinking the g70 sport awd will be around 60k.
Why would you think that? What is going to happen to the G80 price? From what I've read, the G70 is the smaller, junior version. Sort of what the Azera was supposed to be in the line but never really took off. At 60k, you'd not get me near a showroom when I can buy a G80 for that. Looking at the difference between a Sonata and next step and the G90 to G90, the G70 would have to come in at 5K less to grab that middle market. Stinger starts at 32k and the G70 is its cousin.

Bamm1

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
The G80 Sport HTRAC has a better sound system, larger HD infotainment screen, power rear sunshade, manual side rear sunshades and is a class size larger. It sits at ~58k USD. A smaller car (with less options) is going enter a much more competitive space (the land of the 3-series) at a higher price point? That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

rfs830

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Why would you think that? What is going to happen to the G80 price? From what I've read, the G70 is the smaller, junior version. Sort of what the Azera was supposed to be in the line but never really took off. At 60k, you'd not get me near a showroom when I can buy a G80 for that. Looking at the difference between a Sonata and next step and the G90 to G90, the G70 would have to come in at 5K less to grab that middle market. Stinger starts at 32k and the G70 is its cousin.
If you look at all the other manufacturers, the cars are all prices the same even if they are in a different size segment. The compact luxury segment is very popular segment right now. If it is cheaper, I dont think it will be cheaper by very much.

If your looking at a compact car, most of the time you will not be looking at a mid sized car due to the difference in driving dynamics. I like both cars so my personal plan is to get my wife the g70 and get myself the g80.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
If you look at all the other manufacturers, the cars are all prices the same even if they are in a different size segment. The compact luxury segment is very popular segment right now. If it is cheaper, I dont think it will be cheaper by very much.
We'll know in a couple of months. I see a gap to be filled. When I bought my last Sonata I did not consider the Azera because you did not get much for the price difference. The G70 if it existed would have taken my money back then and little more, but not G80 more, though I did buy a 2015 Genesis and justified, for me, the price difference for the step up.

BlancaGenny

Been here awhile...
I think it'll start in the low 40's, maybe even mid 30's for the base model. Look around high 50's for top trim models. Remember, this car is competing with the 3 series, A4, etc. The BMW starts under $35k and $36k for the A4. Genesis needs to price this very competitively.

Bamm1

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

If your looking at a compact car, most of the time you will not be looking at a mid sized car due to the difference in driving dynamics. I like both cars so my personal plan is to get my wife the g70 and get myself the g80.
There is overlap for sure. With "loaded" cars surpassing the starting prices of models one class size higher. But under no circumstances does the "loaded" version of each model have equivalent cost. Never mind the lower class size model costing MORE. That would be like a BMW 340i costing more than a BMW 540i because BMW sells more 3-series models. But my argument was centered around the max price listed (60k in this case). The highest trim/content level of the G80 available with the 3.3T engine cannot cost less or the same as the highest trim/content level of the G70 available with the G70 3.3T.

The G80 Sport HTRAC is $57,750. The G70 Sport HTRAC (or whatever Hyundai decides to call it) which is missing options and/or has downgraded versions of the same options cannot then cost $60,000. Even if I am not cross shopping the G80 and G70 I am not going to pay the same or more for a class size smaller model.

I think it'll start in the low 40's, maybe even mid 30's for the base model. Look around high 50's for top trim models. Remember, this car is competing with the 3 series, A4, etc. The BMW starts under $35k and $36k for the A4. Genesis needs to price this very competitively.
Again, high 50's puts it at the same price or higher than the G80 Sport HTRAC. That is not being priced very competitively. That is dangerously close to more established luxury brand's pricing. Price the highest AWD trim G70 with the 3.3T at or below the starting price of the competitors. The C43 AMG starts at $54,395. Come in under that and you will be VERY competitive.

Last edited:

BlancaGenny

Been here awhile...
Again, high 50's puts it at the same price or higher than the G80 Sport HTRAC. That is not being priced very competitively. That is dangerously close to more established luxury brand's pricing. Price the highest AWD trim G70 with the 3.3T at or below the starting price of the competitors. The C43 AMG starts at $54,395. Come in under that and you will be VERY competitive.
Well, you have an argument. I just priced a fully loaded G80 and it came to $60,860. If the G70 is fully loaded, and I'm comparing it to the Stinger, it's going to have a rough time justifying the price to its customers. The Stinger GT2 AWD (most expensive) is $52k. I would imagine Genesis would be a few thousand more because of the refinement but that will still put it towards the mid-high 50's.

The competitiveness is against other competition, not the G80. Now, if Genesis were to have a performance line similar to the M division and Brabus division, these prices would be competitive. I would venture to say that a $4k-$5k difference in top trim levels for the G70 and G80 is adequate. The difference between the G80 and G90 is a bit more at $14k. They wouldn't have that price difference with the G70 and G80 because that would put it at $45k in top trim. The entry point is what will give the G70 an edge. The G80 starts at $41k for the base model. That means the G70 would need to be in that $35k range.

Also, curious on your "established luxury brand pricing" comment. Are you saying established car company's can charge a premium? Established and reliable do not go hand-in-hand with German automakers. Why do you think everyone leases them? There premium is only in the badge they wear, not the craftsmanship. Any car you take care of goes for awhile. Some cheaper to maintain than others. Only asking because I'm curious, not arguing or saying you're wrong, I like the discussions.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The entry point is what will give the G70 an edge. The G80 starts at $41k for the base model. That means the G70 would need to be in that $35k range.
Yes. You want to get the buyer that wants and can afford more than a Sonata, but is not ready for the G80/90
Just as you could buy a fully loaded Pontiac for more than a base Buick, the G70 can top out more than the base G80. This has gone on for decades with GM, Ford, etc.

My personal preference is the top of the line, fully loaded Chevy over a stripped down Pontiac, but others want the opposite at that price point. This will allow something for everyone.

BlancaGenny

Been here awhile...
Yes. You want to get the buyer that wants and can afford more than a Sonata, but is not ready for the G80/90
Just as you could buy a fully loaded Pontiac for more than a base Buick, the G70 can top out more than the base G80. This has gone on for decades with GM, Ford, etc.

My personal preference is the top of the line, fully loaded Chevy over a stripped down Pontiac, but others want the opposite at that price point. This will allow something for everyone.
+1 on your preference. Time and time again I see people driving around the lowest trim levels in entry-level luxury cars (BMW, Benz, Audi) and I never understand why. Why buy a bare-bones car when you can have more features in a fully loaded Impala, Malibu, Fusion, Accord, or Maxima? I know why, it has to do with snob appeal. I'm proud to say I drive a Hyundai product. It doesn't mean I'm cheap, it means I like getting my moneys worth. And it's cool having people ask you about a four door sedan and saying, "what kind of car is it?". You don't get that with mainstream cars.

G80guy

Been here awhile...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The question on "max" pricing is moot because if they come in at a base price that is very reasonable then it's up to each customer to decide what additional options they want to add and or can afford. Some owners will be fine with a rear wheel drive 2.0L and others may want the AWD 3.3TT with all the bells and whistles. Since many folks may lease then the cost difference, by adding more options, per month maybe reasonable.

Not everyone can afford steak on the menu thus why they also have hamburger.

devellis

Been here awhile...
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
The question on "max" pricing is moot because if they come in at a base price that is very reasonable then it's up to each customer to decide what additional options they want to add and or can afford. Some owners will be fine with a rear wheel drive 2.0L and others may want the AWD 3.3TT with all the bells and whistles. Since many folks may lease then the cost difference, by adding more options, per month maybe reasonable.

Not everyone can afford steak on the menu thus why they also have hamburger.

Except that those choices don't exist n a vacuum. And Genesis is consciously and deliberately going after the "steak" rather than the "hamburg" market.

Every car has some assets and some liabilities. A car buyer will typically consider at least a few possibilities and will weigh the relative merits they offer. A new brand goes in with some disadvantages while an established brand goes in with clear advantages. Some of these advantages and disadvantages are real and some are illusory. Buyers don't necessarily know the difference but what they believe is what drives their purchase choices. Unless people have owned a Mercedes or BMW (to take a couple of examples), someone may perceive them as more reliable than they are. They have certainly heard about them and know they have an up-market reputation and that over the years, some of their models have attained legendary status. They turn up again and again on 10-Best lists, are driven by the rich and famous, and are even in museums in some cases. That's a lot of buzz to go up against. Now, none of that may have any direct bearing on the quality or value of a particular model the buyer is considering but still, that halo effect tends to rub off. People have bought and do buy those cars at premium prices -- more than Europeans pay for the same car (and some are actually made largely in the US). We may not fully understand why it is so, but these established premium brands do enjoy a privileged position in the market.

A new brand can't magically create that kind of history. So, it goes in at a disadvantage. It needs to offset that disadvantage by offering a whole lot at a very competitive price. Doing otherwise forfeits perhaps its only potential advantage to the established brands. And merely being competitive at the level of the entry model won't offset that. If anything, a rock-bottom price for the entry model will make a non-competitively high price for a well equipped model look even worse by contrast.

Of course, Genesis can do as it pleases with its pricing. And none of us know for sure how any one scenario will play out. But we can make educated guesses based on logic and past experience. Those factors lead me to be pessimistic about a scenario in which Genesis prices the G70 too close to the more firmly entrenched competition (no matter what equipment advantages the car may have) and actually quite optimistic about the scenario in which they price the G70 aggressively. I think that will pay dividends in the short term by promoting healthy sales and word-of-mouth, and in the long term by laying a solid foundation for the Genesis brand as it expands its offerings.

If the G70 lays an egg by coming in at too high a price point and not moving units, it won't bode well for the SUVs they have in the pipeline. If the car sells briskly, on the other hand, those sales will lay a foundation for the expanding dealer network and new model offerings that can help establish Genesis as a premium brand in the critical US market.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.