Wheel Balance Issues

Rspected

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Does anyone else have issues getting a perfect balance on their tires? I feel like this car is super sensitive to balancing and if it isn't perfect to the thousandth of a decimal with precision then the steering wheel will wobble a bit...

Is it just me? Or does this seem to be common with this car

2012 R-Spec 5.0

Ducatislave

Hasn't posted much yet...
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
Yes actually, there is a whole TSB about balancing the tires correctly as well as putting them in the correct position to influence alignment.

Ducatislave

Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
Do you have a link to this TSB by any chance?
Sure do, sorry I didn't respond sooner, got tied up with work.
See attached PDF.
Additionally, I have found that running anything other than a Ultra or Grand Touring tire results in a lot more feedback (sometimes that's a good thing depending on what you are doing, i.e. carving hilly canyon roads in central TX) but the harder/ stiffer tires like summer performance tires seem to have a lot more vibration transferred to the car. However, this is just my personal opinion, I have no hard data to support this.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

Ducatislave

Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
Also, make sure that the shop lines up the yellow dot with the valve stem, it helps a lot in keeping the heavy point in the same place as the tire wears. And that they completely clean off the old stick on weight residue. I personally make them hide the weights behind the spokes whenever possible just because I hate seeing them. Not sure if your wheels have the lip on the backside for clip weights but if they do make sure the shop uses them, it gets the torque and centrifugal force as far away from center as possible. Lastly, not many shops know this because they trust the machine implicitly, ask them to run a static balance check AFTER they have done the performance balance, this will ensure that there are NO hard/heavy points impacting the road inside of the tread patch. I used to do this when I worked at Sears Auto years ago when we had repeat customers for balance problems and 99.9% of the time they would be ecstatic with how smooth the ride was. The other .01% usually needed new shocks or the whole front end rebuilt on their jalopy, however when you told them that they usually just insisted that we didn't know what we were doing and stormed out, can't win'em all.

Rspected

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Also, make sure that the shop lines up the yellow dot with the valve stem, it helps a lot in keeping the heavy point in the same place as the tire wears. And that they completely clean off the old stick on weight residue. I personally make them hide the weights behind the spokes whenever possible just because I hate seeing them. Not sure if your wheels have the lip on the backside for clip weights but if they do make sure the shop uses them, it gets the torque and centrifugal force as far away from center as possible. Lastly, not many shops know this because they trust the machine implicitly, ask them to run a static balance check AFTER they have done the performance balance, this will ensure that there are NO hard/heavy points impacting the road inside of the tread patch. I used to do this when I worked at Sears Auto years ago when we had repeat customers for balance problems and 99.9% of the time they would be ecstatic with how smooth the ride was. The other .01% usually needed new shocks or the whole front end rebuilt on their jalopy, however when you told them that they usually just insisted that we didn't know what we were doing and stormed out, can't win'em all.
It's my buddies shop that I use and he just got the road force balancer but he had a snap on rep there teaching him to use the machine on my wheels but he seemed to know what he was doing tbh... just these cars are tough to balance. Last time I had to bring it back to tire choice 3x before they got it right

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
If the machine is not set correctly for the tire/wheel size then the balance will be off. Many techs hurry through the procedure and don't double check the settings and also don't recheck after the weights are applied. Its all about proper training.

Rspected

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
If the machine is not set correctly for the tire/wheel size then the balance will be off. Many techs hurry through the procedure and don't double check the settings and also don't recheck after the weights are applied. Its all about proper training.
I went back to my buddies shop and we rotated the tires back the way they were originally and still had issues so we threw the front 2 back on the balancer and found they were still off a little. One is off about .1 oz and the other .15 oz but unfortunately they dont make those size weights and we weren't able to successfully break one in half without losing adhesive so it's still slightly off but the wheel has stopped shaking so that's all I care about

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.