Wheel Bearing NIGHTMARES (2011 Sedan 4.6)

jazzie366

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Greetings lads, new to the forum and I just got a 2011 Genesis 4.6 sedan and I LOVE it, I've tracked it a couple times and had it up to the full 155 it goes to, handles it like a champ! Love it as a luxury daily driver, I've put a lot of love into it. Also got it with only 56K on the clock from a buddy who owns a dealer near me, called me when they got it in and I got first pick before they were able to do anything to it so I got it for 10k out the door with a power-train warranty :^).

ANYWHO, I've put 6, yes, 6 wheel bearings into this thing. Specifically the right front. I've followed torque specs for installation, ~72 ft lb on the 4 bolts holding the bearing in. I replaced both of the fronts because I was told there's an issue with them causing a shake. Original ones had no play, just shook a bunch. Put two new ones in, BOTH bad within a week (API brand), just put two more new ones in after returning other bearings for refund, new ones are Carquest premium brand, drives NEARLY PERFECT except for the same shake, but extremely minor now, so potentially I mis-balanced one of the new tires I put on (Kumho ECSTA PA51).

Anyone have experience with these things eating bearings? If so, do I need new steering knuckles? Not sure where to go here, but I do think the problem is deeper than the bearings.

P.S. This is only in the front, the rear bearings have given me no issues.

Also, anybody know if you can get performance software for the ECU? I'd like to remove the speed limiter so I can have fun at wannagofast :).

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
You’ve had it up to 155 and you want to remove the speed limiter?

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Three words:
Racing.
Breaks.
Stuff.

PS - No, wheel bearings are not a common pre-mature failure item on our cars.

RSpectnewbie

Registered Member
Ontario
Genesis Model Type
The only way to remove the speed limiter (which is in place for the tires rated at 150) is to get a combined ecu/tcu tune. Good luck finding one. There is a canned tune for sale in the classifieds for just under $1000, which was discontinued due to very mixed results.
There is also a Canadian tuning shop that has a once a year tuning event, price just a little more.
Does your wallet have the same death wish?

Yessir, wanna take it up to the supposed 178 top speed this thing can do at wannagofast’s next event. Login • Instagram I have a death wish :).

jazzie366

Genesis Model Type
The only way to remove the speed limiter (which is in place for the tires rated at 150) is to get a combined ecu/tcu tune. Good luck finding one. There is a canned tune for sale in the classifieds for just under $1000, which was discontinued due to very mixed results.
There is also a Canadian tuning shop that has a once a year tuning event, price just a little more.
Does your wallet have the same death wish?
Wallet knows no bounds. Would like to know where to go to get more power, definitely gonna go to a tuning shop soon and see what they can offer.

Three words:
Racing.
Breaks.
Stuff.

PS - No, wheel bearings are not a common pre-mature failure item on our cars.

Alright, so let me ask the following: Can camber ruin wheel bearings? Front camber is destroyed on my car, bushings of control arms look good, going to replace the upper arms anyways, can't do all at once as oem arms are $1k a piece. Now, I may be a master tech but I've never seen camber ruin a bearing except on excessively cambered wannabe civics, definitely a possibility though.

Also, the vehicle drifts and pulls side to side, at random, at highway speeds. No play in the wheels or ball joints, and again bushings don't look bad. I have the alignment perfected except for the camber in the front, so not sure if that's effecting it, but I can attest the camber can easily cause a car to pull a lot. Let me know.

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Typically, cars set up for the track (more than 2 degrees negative camber, zero to 0.5 degree toe out) will be less stable on the street. More negative camber increases tramlining.

Tires do play a role, however. The original OEM Dunlops were horrible for tramlining with factory alignment. My Michelin PS4S's don't tramline at all despite my '12 car being on the negative end of the spec for camber (which is apparently not adjustable by normal means, according to the alignment tech I used). She actually drives and handles very well ... for a big gal.

As to your question whether excessive camber causes wheel bearing damage? It's normally the opposite: worn bearings (or spindles) can cause excessive camber as the slop increases. Have your spindles and hubs been checked for wear? I know excessive offset can transfer loads from inner to outer bearings and cause premature wear of the latter. But I would expect excessive negative camber to do the opposite (put more load on the inner bearing). Although there may be more thrust... so who knows.

Keep us posted.

Last edited:

RSpectnewbie

Registered Member
Ontario
Genesis Model Type
A regular tuning shop may not be able to help. Cracking the 1G sedan ECU is not universal. From my research the only person than can properly do the tune is David Lee from South Korea. He flies in to do tuning events at times. The only one I found was 10fintec.com. I didn't look for any other info since they are near to me so I don't know if there are other events around. They are in Toronto, Canada.
Good luck in your search. To me it was not worth the $1500 CAN to get an extra 25HP.
I'll live with the 429HP my 5.0 gives me. The tcu tune is what removes the speed limiter, it also moves the redline to 7250 rpm and makes it a true sport mode that does not automatically shift for you. Those made me think longer though, but don't feel the need for speed as much anymore.

Wallet knows no bounds. Would like to know where to go to get more power, definitely gonna go to a tuning shop soon and see what they can offer.

jazzie366

Genesis Model Type
A regular tuning shop may not be able to help. Cracking the 1G sedan ECU is not universal. From my research the only person than can properly do the tune is David Lee from South Korea. He flies in to do tuning events at times. The only one I found was 10fintec.com. I didn't look for any other info since they are near to me so I don't know if there are other events around. They are in Toronto, Canada.
Good luck in your search. To me it was not worth the $1500 CAN to get an extra 25HP.
I'll live with the 429HP my 5.0 gives me. The tcu tune is what removes the speed limiter, it also moves the redline to 7250 rpm and makes it a true sport mode that does not automatically shift for you. Those made me think longer though, but don't feel the need for speed as much anymore.
OOH, I like that 7250 RPM redline! I'll have to look into that, thanks!

Cali Gen

Registered Member
Bay Area, California
Genesis Model Type

Alright, so let me ask the following: Can camber ruin wheel bearings? Front camber is destroyed on my car, bushings of control arms look good, going to replace the upper arms anyways, can't do all at once as oem arms are $1k a piece. Now, I may be a master tech but I've never seen camber ruin a bearing except on excessively cambered wannabe civics, definitely a possibility though.

Also, the vehicle drifts and pulls side to side, at random, at highway speeds. No play in the wheels or ball joints, and again bushings don't look bad. I have the alignment perfected except for the camber in the front, so not sure if that's effecting it, but I can attest the camber can easily cause a car to pull a lot. Let me know.
Lol whats you're tire size and cold air pressure

Cali Gen

Registered Member
Bay Area, California
Genesis Model Type
225/50r18 and door sticker pressure I forgot what it said.
Maybe check the sticker and your tire pressure with a guage

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums