Wheel damage

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
On a trip a couple of weeks ago I bent a wheel. At about 70 mph there was a big chunk of something that I saw too late to avoid. Looked like a piece of asphalt about 3" or so thick. BAM! The guy in front of me lost a tire but I was able to keep going.

When I got to my destination I saw no tire damage or bubbles and no air loss so I wanted until I got home for repair. Of course getting home was still 1500 miles. At 80 mph or above was tolerable

Found a nearby shop that does nothing but wheel repair and went in this morning. Took a bit over an hour for repair and balance of the other three wheels. It was heated to about 400 degrees and straightened. He said not perfect but 95% was best he could get. The ride home was much smoother, good as new. Cost was $140. I thought it fair.

Waiting for the rim to cool, we were talking about balancing. He recommends new tires be done again after about 700 to 1000 miles as they are usually off again after some wear in.

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Glad you didn't blow a tire. I have lost 4 wheels and tires to potholes on two different blowouts. The wheels were damaged beyond repair, and of course the tires were destroyed. The second time it happened it happened on 20 inch wheels that I had purchased to replace my wheels after the first time it happened. I will never buy 20 inch wheels again, and even with my stock 19s on my G70, I'm much more alert about road surfaces.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Glad you didn't blow a tire. I have lost 4 wheels and tires to potholes on two different blowouts. The wheels were damaged beyond repair, and of course the tires were destroyed. The second time it happened it happened on 20 inch wheels that I had purchased to replace my wheels after the first time it happened. I will never buy 20 inch wheels again, and even with my stock 19s on my G70, I'm much more alert about road surfaces.
OUCH ! ! ! That's expensive. Looks like low profile tires and nice looking wheels have spawned a new industry. Three repair places within 30 miles of me.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
my wife curbed the crap out of one of my rear wheels and took a big chunk out of the tire sidewall. Found a 2018 G80 Sport rear wheel on ebay for $155 shipped (no reserve auction).

Wheel repair was quoted over $250

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
my wife curbed the crap out of one of my rear wheels and took a big chunk out of the tire sidewall. Found a 2018 G80 Sport rear wheel on ebay for $155 shipped (no reserve auction).

Wheel repair was quoted over $250

Yeah that's a no-brainer.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Yeah that's a no-brainer.

The bad part is it was kind of my fault, I was being lazy and asked her to move it off the street and into the driveway, only the second time she has ever driven it. Instead of going forward and making a u-turn at the end of the block, she decided to back up the 10 feet from where it was parked to the drive entrance, and ground the wheel on the curb the whole distance.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
My wife hasn't driven mine yet... I've managed 4700 miles so far! 😆

I did curb her QX50, though. Oops

LandOfConfusion

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That’s painful. I’ve had that happen once. At first, I couldn’t find any visible evidence of the damage, but there was an extremely slow pressure leak. Upon further investigation, the damage was on the back lip of the wheel.

That’s the flip side to low profile tires, I guess. Not sure why they’re so fashionable compared to the sizes we know work best for racing.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums