• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Wheel locks thread size

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My car didnt come with wheel locks and I'm planning to buy a set, looking at the Genesis accessories online I saw they sell a set at the staggering price of $54.95 after $32 savings (MSRP: $87) At that price I can get two sets from any aftermarket brand like McGard or Gorilla. Do you known the thread size of the G70 wheel lug nuts? My old 2016 Genesis thread was M12 x 1.5.

Starflyer

Hasn't posted much yet...
Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My car didnt come with wheel locks and I'm planning to buy a set, looking at the Genesis accessories online I saw they sell a set at the staggering price of $54.95 after $32 savings (MSRP: $87) At that price I can get two sets from any aftermarket brand like McGard or Gorilla. Do you known the thread size of the G70 wheel lug nuts? My old 2016 Genesis thread was M12 x 1.5.
Did you look in the spare tire area? I think that's where I found my G80 wheel locks and that's where I keep them.

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Did you look in the spare tire area? I think that's where I found my G80 wheel locks and that's where I keep them.
Looked at it but nothing. I think that If the car comes with them should be reflected on the Monroney sticker and mine doesn't have them.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What about your glove compartment? It’s not a a dealer addon...and won’t show up on the window sticker.

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What about your glove compartment? It’s not a a dealer addon...and won’t show up on the window sticker.
Nope, I don't have it. Since I took delivery of the car I realized that it didn't have the wheel locks but I thought at that time that it was an addon because my last Genesis had it on the Monroney sticker and this one does not.

tommyjin

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I just replaced all lug nuts with a black set including locks. They're definitely M12x1.5

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I just went out and looked at my car. I honestly kind of like the chrome lug nuts. They match the Genesis logo in the center of the wheel. I was going to swap them all out for black...but now decided against it.

Van_Nik_75

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver, BC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

glennk

Been here awhile...
Dallas, TX
Sadly, yes wheels are still stolen. Not sure about Canada, but here in the southern USA wheels are cars within a matter of minutes. If you Google Texas wheel theft, you can watch a criminal gang descending upon a car dealership after dark and stole rims off pickup trucks...must have been about 10 or more that they made off with.

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
For every car that I've owned over the past 10 years I've always removed the wheel locks locks as I wanted to avoid the hassle.

Are people still getting their wheels stolen? It must have been the early 90's when the last time I heard that someone had this problem.
Unfortunately yes, this is a daily issue here in South Florida even though I don't think that the G70 wheels will have a good demand in the black market because there are just a few cars running in the streets but the G70's wheel the price is high and could be a temptation for thieves. At this right moment there is a guy selling one used 10 spoke 19" G70 wheel for $450 in Ebay (I'm not saying this wheel was stolen at all but is an example of how much you can get for them)

Starflyer

Hasn't posted much yet...
Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
With wheels and tires costing upwords of $500, I think locking nuts are good insurance. However, if you car is not locked, it's probably a simple task for a thief to find the unlocking nut (glove box or trunk). I would hate to be stuck out in Timbuktu with missing wheels because I didn't have locking lugs.

And then there's the possiblity of some stupid thief not realizing there was a locking nut and loosening the other lugs before quiting. From personal experience, you arn't going far with loose lugs and not very far down the road the wheel coud come off. The first thing that happens is the studs start to bend, making it impossible to retighten the loose nuts.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I agree that having a locknut is some extra insurance; but, I figure if a thief is planning to steal some wheels, he/she/they probably have a bunch of different sockets, and various locknut tools to get what they want. Pretty much all locking nut tools are easily available at your local parts store.

For me, it's better to keep the lugnuts stock (or in my case, aftermarket but still using stock dimensions for the stock tire iron) for ease of use for when I really need to swap them out on the side of the road. I don't want to stress about possibly losing or even fiddling with the locknut tool.

Edit: if I get aftermarket rims, on the other hand, my opinion might change. 🙃

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Just take a look at the thread named G70 sighting. If 90% of the people here in this forum haven't been able to see another G70 in the wild then we could infer the G70 black market is almost non existent. The chances for our stock wheels being stolen are near zero.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums