• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Wheel Spacers?

jayjayralph

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Sweet deal. Yea if you could post before and after pics. I just have the feeling the car will look so much nicer if the wheels look flush
forsure. tracking says they will be delivered tomorrow

Draco-REX

Parts Monkey
Ohio
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I like it, it's an improvement in the looks department. How much did it affect your turn radius?
This isn't on a G70, but I have installed aggressive spacers on a BRZ which has a much more sensitive chassis. Unless the change in offset makes the wheels contact the body, there isn't really a change in steering radius since the steering angle is the same.

But it does effect other things. The most evident is that by pushing the wheels out you're increasing the length of the "lever" created when turning the wheels. This will increase steering effort. A less obvious change is that this also increases the effective length of the suspension arms. On the front where the strut is attached directly to the knuckle, this doesn't have as much effect. But in the back it will make the effective spring rate softer. So you may feel a little more movement in the back going over bumps. A third effect is that as you turn left to right, the increased length will actually cause the car to rock slightly due to the caster angle. This likely won't have any effect for most people. This only becomes an issue if the car is used for competitive racing events where suspension tuning is the difference between winning and losing.

Overall spacers aren't bad, but they aren't all good either. Just understand that you're paying for the better looks with increased wheel bearing wear.

I should probably take this opportunity to talk about proper spacer choice.

There are two type of spacers. There are simple ones that use the original studs and are just sandwiched between the wheel and hub. These tend to be thinner and cheaper. The problem is that most cars have very short studs, so any spacer will mean dangerously few threads left for the lug nuts to hold the wheel on. These types of spacers aren't recommended unless longer hardened studs are used. The only exception are cars that use lug bolts, as longer lug bolts can be used.

The better choice are spacers that attach to the hubs using the stock studs and have their own studs for the wheel to attach to. These are, for obvious reasons, thicker spacers, usually starting at 15mm or thicker. These are safer as the lug nuts used have full use of the studs' threads. Just make sure all the lug nuts are properly torqued.

jayjayralph

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
This isn't on a G70, but I have installed aggressive spacers on a BRZ which has a much more sensitive chassis. Unless the change in offset makes the wheels contact the body, there isn't really a change in steering radius since the steering angle is the same.

But it does effect other things. The most evident is that by pushing the wheels out you're increasing the length of the "lever" created when turning the wheels. This will increase steering effort. A less obvious change is that this also increases the effective length of the suspension arms. On the front where the strut is attached directly to the knuckle, this doesn't have as much effect. But in the back it will make the effective spring rate softer. So you may feel a little more movement in the back going over bumps. A third effect is that as you turn left to right, the increased length will actually cause the car to rock slightly due to the caster angle. This likely won't have any effect for most people. This only becomes an issue if the car is used for competitive racing events where suspension tuning is the difference between winning and losing.

Overall spacers aren't bad, but they aren't all good either. Just understand that you're paying for the better looks with increased wheel bearing wear.

I should probably take this opportunity to talk about proper spacer choice.

There are two type of spacers. There are simple ones that use the original studs and are just sandwiched between the wheel and hub. These tend to be thinner and cheaper. The problem is that most cars have very short studs, so any spacer will mean dangerously few threads left for the lug nuts to hold the wheel on. These types of spacers aren't recommended unless longer hardened studs are used. The only exception are cars that use lug bolts, as longer lug bolts can be used.

The better choice are spacers that attach to the hubs using the stock studs and have their own studs for the wheel to attach to. These are, for obvious reasons, thicker spacers, usually starting at 15mm or thicker. These are safer as the lug nuts used have full use of the studs' threads. Just make sure all the lug nuts are properly torqued.
Very Accurate. I agree 100%
i dont plan to have them for long. they do give me a better idea of what kind of offset i will be looking for when i do buy my wheels

jayjayralph

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
They worked well for me , re torqued after 1500kms and 6000kms and they were perfect.
I got after market wheels now so im not using them anymore.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums