When to apply parking brake

rob1124

Registered Member
West Palm Beach, FL
Genesis G70
This might sound like a silly question but this is my first car with an electric parking brake. The manual says to shift the vehicle into P position and then apply the parking break before turning off the vehicle. With a manual emergency break you dont really pull it every single time you park so I am trying to wrap my head around this concept.
Thanks in advance 😬

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis G80

rob1124

Registered Member
West Palm Beach, FL
Genesis G70
Any driving instructor or car manual will tell you to engage the parking brake every time you park. Yes, many people do not but you are supposed to. It takes strain off the parking pawl, especially on a hill.
If you use Auto Hold, it will engage the parking brake for you when you stop and put the transmission in Park
Parking brake automatically locked
When the EPB is applied from Auto
Hold, a warning will sound and a
message will appear.
Thanks Ed. That answers my other question. I kept wondering why the Parking Break would activate on its own sometimes but now I see it does it when I have Auto Hold activated.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis G80

lentiformnucleus

Registered Member
Genesis G70
in my previous car i always engaged the parking brake before shifting into P, when i read the manual it gave the impression that i should shift into P then engage the parking brake , which is correct?

i usually do it like this : stop the car > shift into N (while holding the brake pedal) > engage parking brake > release the brake pedal > shift into P
it seems logical sense you engage the parking brake then release the brakes to put the load onto the parking break before shifting into P?

princelybug

SUSTAINING MEMBER
SoCal
Equus (2011-2016)

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis G80

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis G70
^This.

Just go straight to park while pressing the brakes. Once in park, engage the e-brake...or not (it will do it automatically when you turn off the engine).

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis G80
(it will do it automatically when you turn off the engine).
Really.. so the parking brake is auto engaged when in park? Is this across all Genesis models?

So, I should be able to go out into the garage and try to move the car slightly forward and back... and it won't move? On an older car, the movement is in the play of the gears... guess we can call it "parking pawl play" ...

joschneider

G70 Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis G70
^This.

Just go straight to park while pressing the brakes. Once in park, engage the e-brake...or not (it will do it automatically when you turn off the engine).
Mine doesn’t do this...unless it’s engaged the parking brake but not showing the icon in the gauge cluster? I can usually feel a difference when I’ve turned it on so I’m a little confused

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis G80
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums