Where did you install your dashcam?

MRJONG

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Doesn't mounting to the left obscure your vision a little? I've got a new dash cam, was looking as doing it to the right ...
When I tested it on the left the only place I could fit it was completely below the rearview mirror. It was basically flush with the bottom of the sensor array. It did obstruct my view a bit but not horribly. I also tried mounting it on the right side of the sensors but for some reason you could see the side if the sensor array in the recordings, not sure if the angle or thickness of the sensor array is different on the right side.

I think if you have the type of dashcam that doesn't have a screen you could probably fit it above the rearview mirror on the left.

larrymg1

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Lexington South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Doesn't mounting to the left obscure your vision a little? I've got a new dash cam, was looking as doing it to the right ...
Not at all. My camera does have a screen. Mount it as close to center plastic cover as possible. Allowing for clearance of left edge of the mirror. Mount so lense is just below the black grid.

Attachments

Dpaulc

Registered Member
When I tested it on the left the only place I could fit it was completely below the rearview mirror. It was basically flush with the bottom of the sensor array. It did obstruct my view a bit but not horribly. I also tried mounting it on the right side of the sensors but for some reason you could see the side if the sensor array in the recordings, not sure if the angle or thickness of the sensor array is different on the right side.

I think if you have the type of dashcam that doesn't have a screen you could probably fit it above the rearview mirror on the left.
I think we have the same Aukey dashcam. I mounted mine in nearly the same spot.

I ran the usb-A cable under the rear mirror lid into the roof liner over the passenger seat, down the A pillar, then over to the door seam. It runs underneath the door seam, under the glovebox, then tucked under the center console plastic, straight to the rear seat usb-A port.

It's so unlikely anyone will ever use that port besides the backup I could use in the center storage area. You can only see the cable where it runs from the A-pillar to the door, and I think I could tuck it completely out of sight if I wanted.

Falldog

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Is there enough power out of the back USB port to power a front and rear dash cam?

larrymg1

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Lexington South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Is there enough power out of the back USB port to power a front and rear dash cam?
Can't say for sure. I hard wired my front camera to the fuse block. The rear camera lead is connected to the front camera as required on Street guardian systems and the cable is run along the front window, along the lower right side and back across above the rear window to the camera center mount position.

Falldog

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Can't say for sure. I hard wired my front camera to the fuse block. The rear camera lead is connected to the front camera as required on Street guardian systems and the cable is run along the front window, along the lower right side and back across above the rear window to the camera center mount position.
Ooh, how's the quality of their rear camera? When I got my first Street Guardian the rear facing secondary camera quality was pretty meh, but that's been at least a generation or two since.

G-123889

Ooh, how's the quality of their rear camera? When I got my first Street Guardian the rear facing secondary camera quality was pretty meh, but that's been at least a generation or two since.
It is superior. Small enough to clear sunshade and barely visible from outside.

wopper403

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Could you post some photos of the front and rear camera?

Falldog

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
While you're at it, can you elaborate on the fuse box installation? In my current car I've got things powered by the cigarette outlet. Install looks pretty easy with SG's kit, though I've never messed around in a fuse box before.

Looks like you need the setup with the parking module to support two cameras.

larrymg1

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Lexington South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
While you're at it, can you elaborate on the fuse box installation? In my current car I've got things powered by the cigarette outlet. Install looks pretty easy with SG's kit, though I've never messed around in a fuse box before.

Looks like you need the setup with the parking module to support two cameras.
Install is doable. The hardest part it routing your cables to your cameras. The fuse box connection is fairly easy. See photos. 4 new photos by Larry Grimm
Front camera install from earlier posts.

Falldog

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Install is doable. The hardest part it routing your cables to your cameras. The fuse box connection is fairly easy. See photos. 4 new photos by Larry Grimm
Front camera install from earlier posts.
View attachment 18167

Did you just pick a couple free slots and or tie into where existing fuses are and the fuse goes on the back of the connector box?

I'll have to see if the A pillar cover is easy to remove.

Falldog

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
You need to identify the correct fuses for amps and always-on status.
You only need one for always on right? I'm guessing cig and outlets would be a good fit. I don't need always on, just enough to power both cameras. Looks like you did the heated steering wheel and the drivers seat stuff.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.