Which models have the side passenger seat control?

danygenesis

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
According to the Genesis pricing bulletin all 3.3t models and 2.0t from the Elite all the way up have the Front passenger seat walk-in device.

PD705

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
None of the Canadian cars have this feature. The decision was made not to offer it in this market.

Van_Nik_75

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver, BC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Canadians are not as obese...they can get in and out of the back seat without issues.:eek:
In all seriousness, it's a pretty nice feature to have. There's been many times when I've taken two people in my car (not just the G70) and the passenger seat is too far back and the person in the passenger seat is fiddling with the controls trying to figure out how to move the seat forward.

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I agree it would be nice to have as I sometimes take someone taller for a drive and they move the seat way back and then my kid tries to get in and is struggling and I have to unbuckle and reach over to move the seat forward. The button would be great.

That said I am glad Beefer's comment came from an American although sadly it is a big problem in both countries...

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
I agree it would be nice to have as I sometimes take someone taller for a drive and they move the seat way back and then my kid tries to get in and is struggling and I have to unbuckle and reach over to move the seat forward. The button would be great.

That said I am glad Beefer's comment came from an American although sadly it is a big problem in both countries...
Well...I both actually :) Home will always be Canada.

PD705

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Reason for no side buttons in Canada? Choice. We expect many of our buyers will have children. Those buttons do not have a weight lock-out for the passenger seat, meaning a mischievous back seat occupant could fiddle with the seat while someone is sitting in it. We made the call to exclude the feature.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Reason for no side buttons in Canada? Choice. We expect many of our buyers will have children. Those buttons do not have a weight lock-out for the passenger seat, meaning a mischievous back seat occupant could fiddle with the seat while someone is sitting in it. We made the call to exclude the feature.
Did they put them in the US models because we are better behaved?

devellis

Been here awhile...
North Carolina
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I had this feature on a previous Infiniti and I liked it a lot. It lets the driver or a rear-seat passenger adjust the front passenger seat position. Very handy, for example, when picking people up. If it's one person who will be sitting in the front, the driver can easily move the seat back for them. If it's a front-and-rear situation, the driver can move forward to let the rear passenger in and then back a suitable amount to allow the best seating compromise for front and back. Saves the hassle of explaining to the passengers how to fiddle with the seats. Also, if it turns out that the rear passenger needs a bit more room, it's easy for them to move the seat forward a bit -- easier than for the front passenger to reach down blindly and find the seat controller.

In theory, the rear passenger could drive the front passenger crazy by constantly moving the seat but that seems like a pretty rare scenario and isn't one I've ever encountered. It's a helpful feature more often than not.

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Personally I would have loved the feature and I have kids and don't think that is a good reason to exclude it. When kids are mischievous they are typically in a child seat with a harness on and likely couldn't reach it anyway. And by the time they are old enough to be using the seat belt, they should know better. And they are typically still far enough back to not be able to reach with a seat belt on.

I would really be interested in how some of the decisions like this affect the price of the vehicle. Any insight?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Personally I would have loved the feature and I have kids and don't think that is a good reason to exclude it. When kids are mischievous they are typically in a child seat with a harness on and likely couldn't reach it anyway. And by the time they are old enough to be using the seat belt, they should know better. And they are typically still far enough back to not be able to reach with a seat belt on.

I would really be interested in how some of the decisions like this affect the price of the vehicle. Any insight?
I think it is more of a cost than kids decision. Most cost of manufacturing translate to a selling price of 3X to 4X. So, what is the cost of the switch, wire, installation? Another mentioned the heard rear seats are bottom only and he would be willing to pay more to have the seatbacks heated too. Add in a few more of those "it really should have" and the price is now up 1 or 2 thousand dollars. It is a deal breaker or deal maker?

Marketing has to look at the competition. Hyundai/Genesis has always been the value car of its category but at what point is the bargain lost? Marketing has to look at the target market and their needs and wants.

Is the target market the buyer of a Merc, BMW or Acura? It is also a way to get the Sonata, Impala, Dodge buyer to upgrade too. The guy buying a fully loaded Sonata may decide that for another 2k he can move to a Genesis. But is the difference is $2300 he may not consider it. So, is having seat bottoms only heated a good compromise? For me it is a my back seats are hardly ever used.

All cars are a compromise and all will have something that we'd like to see a little different. I'm willing to pay for what I want but if you get what you want the cost may make me walk away. Its always a tough call.

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
I think it is more of a cost than kids decision. Most cost of manufacturing translate to a selling price of 3X to 4X. So, what is the cost of the switch, wire, installation? Another mentioned the heard rear seats are bottom only and he would be willing to pay more to have the seatbacks heated too. Add in a few more of those "it really should have" and the price is now up 1 or 2 thousand dollars. It is a deal breaker or deal maker?

Marketing has to look at the competition. Hyundai/Genesis has always been the value car of its category but at what point is the bargain lost? Marketing has to look at the target market and their needs and wants.

Is the target market the buyer of a Merc, BMW or Acura? It is also a way to get the Sonata, Impala, Dodge buyer to upgrade too. The guy buying a fully loaded Sonata may decide that for another 2k he can move to a Genesis. But is the difference is $2300 he may not consider it. So, is having seat bottoms only heated a good compromise? For me it is a my back seats are hardly ever used.

All cars are a compromise and all will have something that we'd like to see a little different. I'm willing to pay for what I want but if you get what you want the cost may make me walk away. Its always a tough call.
I can 100% assure you the switch and the rear lower back heating is less than $300 per car.

So it’s just poor cost cutting on behalf of Genesis. The switch was purposely excluded in Canada by request.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I can 100% assure you the switch and the rear lower back heating is less than $300 per car.

So it’s just poor cost cutting on behalf of Genesis. The switch was purposely excluded in Canada by request.
That's your opinion. As 10 different owners and you will get 12 different answers.

The omission reason for the switch is speculation too. Throw that question into the mix and now those 10 owners will give you 14 different answers.

If the switch was an option, what would you be willing to pay for it? I'd pay tops $50. Any higher not worth it for me as it has limited use in my life. You?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.