Why are Hyundai used cars for cheap?

Macgomes

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm looking at used cars and thinking of getting a Toyota or Mazda and I'm seeing a lot of Hyundai cars that are much newer, around 2014 or newer https://19216801.onl/ https://routerlogin.uno/ for around the same price as older Toyota's. Why are they so cheap? Do they break down a lot or have high maintenance bills?

Last edited:

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Americans think Hyundai are disposable and low tier cars.... So they get priced that way
As good an explanation as any. That goes back to the original. Excel. I remember many of them with the paint faded down to the primer.

At some point, they got it together, made good quality, nicely styled cars with a great warranty. I bought one in 2007. 2010, 2013, 2015, 2018 and will get another next year.

They have been the most trouble free cars I ever owned, a good value.

Chad86tsi

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
2 years ago I helped my broke adult sister find a cheap reliable car. We ended up on a 2006 Sonata with ~160K. It's been a great purchase. Good solid car, never needs anything but gas and oil.

When Hyundai first came here, they were garbage cars.

They are cheap new, so they are targeted to bargain shoppers. Thus they don't appeal to car buyers that want something "nice" on the used market. That impacts resale. A 10 year old Cadillac escalade and a chevy tahoe are almost the same car mechanically. The Escalade resells for more. It's not any better of a vehicle.

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
Carmax around here sell off Genesis 2015 and newer super fast and prices are much higher than 1 to 2 years ago as are most Hyundai's they have.

hd222

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Carmax around here sell off Genesis 2015 and newer super fast and prices are much higher than 1 to 2 years ago as are most Hyundai's they have.
Every car is much higher than 1-2 years ago. Google chip shortage.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
I'm looking at used cars and thinking of getting a Toyota or Mazda and I'm seeing a lot of Hyundai cars that are much newer, around 2014 or newer for around the same price as older Toyota's. Why are they so cheap? Do they break down a lot or have high maintenance bills?
You have to be specific.

What model of Hyundai vs. what model of Toyota, etc. What years and options do each car has that you are comparing. Mileage is also a factor with used cars.

Your question is too vague. However, Toyota models as an whole does have a high resell value compared to every other car make not just Hyundai due to Toyota reputation for reliability. The cars/trucks are mostly bland(no really nice options until you spend $$$ more than the competitors), but as reliable as you can get in a car or truck.

G-719045

As good an explanation as any. That goes back to the original. Excel. I remember many of them with the paint faded down to the primer.

At some point, they got it together, made good quality, nicely styled cars with a great warranty. I bought one in 2007. 2010, 2013, 2015, 2018 and will get another next year.

They have been the most trouble free cars I ever owned, a good value.
Are you getting a new car every three years? If so, I would hope they are trouble free.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Are you getting a new car every three years? If so, I would hope they are trouble free.
Varies. When my wife was driving she would get my old one but I've kept a couple for 15 years, My present one it going on to 4 and it will be traded when the warranty runs out at 5.

While you would think a car should be trouble free for 3 years, my experience with other brands show much different. I'm glad I was in walking distance of the Buick dealer.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners