Why do people hate Genesis so much?

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I switched the suspension from air suspension to regular suspension. Everyone knows air suspension got issues. Replaced Control arms arms are problematic from 2007-2010 LS460. Brake Atuator too problematic could hear some kind of squeaky noise. The interior drivers leather seats worn out, crack in that shiny wood by the gear selector and the armrest is worn too but that doesn’t bother me. I also had to replace the hood absorbers . Overall it’s an old car with 140k miles on it so yes definitely something will need to replaced but I think LS460 is not as reliable compared to other Lexus model. Another part that I will have to replace is there are like 2 fuel pump gaskets located on both the right and left side of the engine and it started leaking. I gotta replace that soon too. Overall it’s still a great car because 99% of all the techs still work, engine and transmission are bulletproof too.
Replacing the air shocks or electronic shocks seems like a common issue on all makes with the options; including Lexus models. I expect a 10+ year old car to show major wear due to its age, not a 6 year old car like my 2015. The issues you claimed to fix on a 2009 LS460 is hardly nothing compared to any other car its age with similar options.

Again no car is perfect, but some are made better than others. How they hold up after a few years of real use tells the truth. I like my 2015 Genesis because most of the issues I discovered are easy to fix and cheap if a replacement part(trim,etc) can be found on Ebay. However, I can also see why some other people look down on the brand if they usually buy Mercedes, Volvo, or Lexus models.

It is like comparing a set of Sears tools to Snap-on tools. Both set of tools does the same job well initially, but Snap-on tools will last a lot longer over repeated use for years. The Sears tools will do the job fine at first, but will wear quicker than a similar Snap-on tool. Hence why many full time professional mechanics buy Snap-on tools over Sears. The difference is even more apparent with cheaper no name tools that may break after one use.

The true test of quality is durability.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Those who feel most threatened by Genesis (by virtue of their purchasing decision) tend to do the most bashing.

The automotive press generally has been the opposite.

SuperKing

Registered Member
Vancouver, BC
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Just curious. Have any of those who have experienced this wearing and weathering of the surfaces and finishes on their cars used any polishes and protectants on these items? Some of us are really anal (ME!) about these things and I wonder if it’s doing any good.

Typically, I don't really take care of my cars knowing I'll be trading it in after 5 years. I can count on one hand how many times I've washed my 2015 Genesis. With the 2020 G90, I'm taking better care of it because you basically can't get a NA V8 luxury sedan anymore and I'll probably keep it until gas stations no longer exist. I'll buy something else to drive alongside it but I plan to keep running it for as long as I can.

So far, I've protected all the surfaces with a ceramic coat but the interior, I've been applying paste wax on anything that's piano black. I hate piano black because it scratches so easily. I'm hoping the wax will help but only time will tell. I could just wrap it with a matte vinyl but there's lit text in some areas that I can't cover up.

You can tell the interior isn't as well put together. There's a wooden piece that wraps around the cup holders, it's 2 pieces and you can feel the seam. The stitching on the leather isn't great on the corners, etc... little things like that prevented me from paying $90k for the car but when the dealer was trying to get rid of it at $60k, it was hard to say no. It's the same price I paid for my 2015 Genesis.

rmod

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Why do people hate Genesis?

csu87

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Most of the people that ive seen/heard talking crap about genesis, is basing their ideas on the older "genesis" that were actually upscale Hyundais. You cant compare the Hyundai Genesis to the actual Genesis. When they went from being upscale Hyundais, to their own line, finishes improved significantly.

The Genesis Sedan and Genesis coupe finishes and quality werent comparable to BMW/Audi/Lexus/Mercedes. The new g70s, 80s, 90, v70, v80 are and use the same or better quality materials as the germans.

csu87

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Mercedes are not perfect that for sure. I had to have my old 2011 E-class faded wood trim replaced under warranty due a defect. However, the car other trim pieces(interior and exterior) and seats were perfect with no fading, peeling or excessive creasing. My old 2002 Mercedes E55 AMG interior was perfect even after 7 years of use, however the electrical issues was horrible. But the car look great inside and out.

Genesis models are nice, but the company is not making $50k cars that are on the same level as the $60k luxury cars. Yes, the Genesis models look good; but they do not use the same level of materials(leather and trim) as the more expensive cars they are competing against. Owners of luxury cars made by Mercedes,Volvo and Lexus can tell the difference especially in a older ride when the quality or lack of starts to show. I did not include BMW because their cars also use cheap interior parts as well that peels and fades only after a few years of use. BMW is viewed more as a performance car company in my opinion than luxury.

To clarify, I am not bashing Genesis. I just view the company as making nice luxury-like cars that are affordable and reliable; especially used models. But they are not on the same level as Mercedes, Volvo, and Lexus in terms of materials used which affects the long term aesthetics of the models.

i suggest you get in to a new genesis instead of using an old hyundai genesis as your comparison. I agree, the old hyundai genesis wasnt on par with the luxury brands, the new line of Genesis are.

5.0KDM

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
automotive hazing

SuperKing

Registered Member
Vancouver, BC
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
i suggest you get in to a new genesis instead of using an old hyundai genesis as your comparison. I agree, the old hyundai genesis wasnt on par with the luxury brands, the new line of Genesis are.
I honestly don't see much of a difference between my 2015 Genesis and my 2020 Genesis G90 aside from the use of metal in some areas. If anything, the G90 interior is more easily damaged since everything is covered in leather. The metal buttons will probably last longer than the soft touch in the 2015 but everything else seems to be the same. The DIS knob is still the same lightweight plastic, just bigger.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
My point is not how nice the Genesis interior/exterior looks when new. I am referring to how it will hold up after a few years of actual use. Time will tell if the 2021 models are better.

ultra63

Been here awhile...
FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
Hopefully genesis vehicle quality has improved. Dealership experience remains the worst of any luxury brand and contributes to genesis being considered a fake luxury vehicle

csu87

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I honestly don't see much of a difference between my 2015 Genesis and my 2020 Genesis G90 aside from the use of metal in some areas. If anything, the G90 interior is more easily damaged since everything is covered in leather. The metal buttons will probably last longer than the soft touch in the 2015 but everything else seems to be the same. The DIS knob is still the same lightweight plastic, just bigger.

soft leather everywhere is where all the luxury brands are going to for finishes. it holds up if you take care of it.

SuperKing

Registered Member
Vancouver, BC
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
soft leather everywhere is where all the luxury brands are going to for finishes. it holds up if you take care of it.

It's already not holding up. I don't know if it's from the leather shrinking a little but it's pulled up a little where the leather meets the wood exposing some of the epoxy or whatever they used to glue the wood down. The leather's also nicked just from operating the little cell phone cubby cover. The S class and 7 series interiors don't cover little doors with leather aside from the center armrest, those are opened with a button. Any little doors that open are either wood or plastic so that when you push down to open it, you don't accidentally hit it with your nails. I don't expect the S class interior to hold up either with all that piano black but at least you can kinda polish out scratches.

The materials are the same as the Hyundai era cars aside from some of high touch areas like the buttons and speaker covers being made of metal. They also overlooked the one button that will be touched the most... the DIS knob. That should've been aluminum instead of plastic topped with piano black. That's going to get completely scratched and dinged like my 2015 knob.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Trith72

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The Genesis vehicles are amazing. A lot of the complaining about Genesis is more regret on what people spent to own Das Auto than anything else. They are literally paying 20-30k more than I am to own the exact same features with a MB or BMW logo slapped on. That's why there is a lot of hate. Now..there are some really GLARING problems with Genesis as a company. The biggest one is they have to find a way to distance themselves from Hyundai brand as much as possible because the Hyundai dealership experience and Hyundai service and support and employees are KILLING the Genesis brand. It's like trying to buy and get service for a Rolex from a Fisher-Price toy watch outlet...it just sucks. Once Genesis USA is able to cut all the apron strings with Hyundai dealerships in the USA and Canada, I think we will see it really take off as a brand.

Cancelled Czech

Near Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I’ve driven a BMW X3 and a Mercedes GLB and now I own a GV80 Advance+. Initially I loved my GV80, the ride was smooth and it was quiet. Two of the features I was looking for because most times I drive with my music off in my vehicle. Two months later I can hear a lot of road noise, windy noises coming from somewhere and it’s ride is very bumpy. So much so that I prefer to drive my husband’s Palisades. It’s quiet and the ride is smoother. I’m my opinion I don’t think my GV80 is better than my Mercedes GLB. My GV80 looks great but it’s not as smooth and refined.
Just wondering . . . although KDM warehouse only lists "UNIQ PERFORMANCE 's 10 Piece Rigid Collar Kit" for the Hyundai Genesis Sedan 09 -2014, there maybe similar kit available for your ride (Pun Intended) that by the product description should smooth things out without compromising the smoothness. Worth a shot to take a look ?
Good luck.

Gurgeh

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
The Genesis vehicles are amazing. A lot of the complaining about Genesis is more regret on what people spent to own Das Auto than anything else. They are literally paying 20-30k more than I am to own the exact same features with a MB or BMW logo slapped on. That's why there is a lot of hate. Now..there are some really GLARING problems with Genesis as a company. The biggest one is they have to find a way to distance themselves from Hyundai brand as much as possible because the Hyundai dealership experience and Hyundai service and support and employees are KILLING the Genesis brand. It's like trying to buy and get service for a Rolex from a Fisher-Price toy watch outlet...it just sucks. Once Genesis USA is able to cut all the apron strings with Hyundai dealerships in the USA and Canada, I think we will see it really take off as a brand.
You raise some excellent points, but miss on one. It may once have been true that with Genesis one could get a vehicle outfitted the same as a Mercedes for $20-30k less, but it is true no longer, and that's actually not a bad thing. With the GV80 and GV70 Genesis has raised the bar of its products to parity with automakers like Mercedes and is now charging commensurate prices. I know this because I have been heavily shopping the Genesis GV80 Prestige and Mercedes GLE 450, and outfitted almost exactly the same there is now only about a $4k premium to the Mercedes (and it would be true parity in price if one avoided the looks-only external AMG appearance package). As I have posted elsewhere they are nearly the same on paper but not exactly the same. For instance, the GV80 comes with a limited slip differential that one can't get in a GLE 450. Similarly, the GLE 450 comes with augmented reality (as I'm configuring it) and the power train and transmission on the GLE 450 are a little smoother with more power from a dead stop (thanks to the marvelous twin turbo 3.0 in-line 6 with mild hybrid assist). Not that the GV80's power train is not good as well; it is, it's just ever-so-slightly less refined. In their exteriors, I prefer the Genesis, which in my view is the best looking crossover on the market. With the interiors I like the Mercedes a bit better and find the seats a tad more comfortable.

I might have slightly preferred the GV80, but tomorrow I'm going into a Mercedes dealership to finalize a factory order for a GLE 450. That is one additional advantage to Mercedes. One can do a true factory order and get a vehicle optioned exactly how one wants it and even avoid those oversized wheels and low profile tires one is forced into with a high-optioned Genesis. As a long-time premium auto buyer, in the end the deciding difference was, to your point above, I just couldn't get past the heebie-geebies I got every time I walked into a dingy Hyundai dealership (often lacking any Genesis signage) and spoke with mostly bozo car sellers.

Last edited:

Charlesgen

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Over the last 20 years or so I have owned many Toyota/Lexus vehicles starting with the first year the LS400 came out. Yes what a fantastic vehicle, followed up with the first year RX300 and numerous RX350's, and NX. These were all great vehicles, they were bullet proof but lacked high tech stuff some other brands come with.
Then I bought the Hyundai Palisade Ultimate which is loaded with high tech stuff, followed up with the present vehicle Genesis GV80 Prestige 3.5T. Again loaded with high tech stuff.
The Lexus vehicles did everything they had perfectly all the time, whereas the Hyundai products had more bells and whistles but don't work perfectly all the time.
As for service, you can not compare the 2 brands, if you put Toyota/Lexus at 100%, I would put Hyundai/Genesis at 40-50%. The 2 brands are not in the same league. Some people would argue Genesis is fairly new, but Hyundai has been around a long time and the service departments should run like a Swiss watch, but we all know Hyundai/Genesis service departments have a long way to go.
The Genesis vehicles are not over priced, my GV80 is a fantastic vehicle and I love it and I love all the bells and whistles.
If I was a top official with Genesis, I would start cracking the whip with these lack lustre Genesis service departs and especially Genesis Concierge . This department must be operated by people that don't care about the customer. I would give this part of Genesis a report card of 10-15%.
All this comes from the top down, Genesis Korea is entirely at fault, they fill their literature and media with all the features, and buyers think the are getting "ALL" these features etc, yes Korea gets everything, but for some reason Saudi Arabia, Europe, Australia get various lessor versions. Now when it comes to North America, you would think USA and Canada would get exactly matching options. But they don't and you only find out after you buy the vehicle and you can't find what is in the literature. The world is small today and just about everyone has a computer and can see what is happening around the world. We are now living in a time where all info is out there for everyone to see.
Genesis South Korea must smarten up and don't make promises they can't keep. In the end it might be their downfall. I have been in Korea maybe 50 times on business and are great people, but the bosses must get off the behinds and start understanding the markets of other countries.
Again I love my GV80 Prestige 3.5T.
What service are you getting from Lexus that you aren’t Genesis? From what I’ve read, Genesis provides more

Genproc

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Just wondering . . . although KDM warehouse only lists "UNIQ PERFORMANCE 's 10 Piece Rigid Collar Kit" for the Hyundai Genesis Sedan 09 -2014, there maybe similar kit available for your ride (Pun Intended) that by the product description should smooth things out without compromising the smoothness. Worth a shot to take a look ?
Good luck.
It is worth a shot, I’ll check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners