Will a K&N air filter increase power and/or fuel economy?

mtrot

Registered Member
East Texas
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
My apologies if there is already a thread on this, but I did run a search and didn't find anything. One review on the K&N web site claims a noticeable increase in power, once the MAF sensor read the increased air flow. Has anybody used a K&N filter on the 4.6 and what results did you find? Thanks much.

Cali Gen

Registered Member
Bay Area, California
Genesis Model Type
you can never go wrong with a K & N filter and they're an inexpensive alternative to a whole intake system. and for the most part you will get some sort of gain from it nothing major.. but for a N/A engine any gain is welcome lol

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I have a set of K&N performance filters installed in my Genesis and I noticed some good results in power and in fuel economy.

I feel that the car moves quicker and with more throttle response with the K&N filters vs. the stock paper filters. The power gain is not a pin you to your seat feel, but it does seem a tad quicker. My Genesis seems to again about 1-2mpg with the K&N when cruising.

My advice would to try it yourself, because you will get conflicting comments about the filter from other members. However, generally if you mostly drive your Genesis aggressively you will notice a slight difference in acceleration. If you mostly cruise around town in your Genesis than you notice a slight gain in fuel economy. The results will be reverse for fuel economy if you drive aggressively and for performance feel if you mainly drive without redlining the engine.

mtrot

Registered Member
East Texas
Genesis Model Type
Thanks, I noticed you are talking about filters, plural. I only see one filter in my 2012 4.6. Is there a hidden filter somewhere?

mtrot

Registered Member
East Texas
Genesis Model Type
Update:

So, I did pick up a K&N filter from Auto Zone, which I was shocked to find actually in stock at my local store. The induction sound is definitely a bit louder with the K&N. It does seem like it will wind up and pull a bit harder above 4000 rpms or so. Doesn't seem to make any difference in the torque at lower rpms, however. The weather is pretty hot, both day and night, lately here in Texas, so I will have to wait until fall to see how it runs with temps in the 50s or 60s.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Update:

So, I did pick up a K&N filter from Auto Zone, which I was shocked to find actually in stock at my local store. The induction sound is definitely a bit louder with the K&N. It does seem like it will wind up and pull a bit harder above 4000 rpms or so. Doesn't seem to make any difference in the torque at lower rpms, however. The weather is pretty hot, both day and night, lately here in Texas, so I will have to wait until fall to see how it runs with temps in the 50s or 60s.
Seems about right since the V8 engine do not make any real power until above 4k rpm.

RockyG32

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Flarfignewton

Hasn't posted much yet...
Pittsburgh, PA
Genesis Model Type
You won't pick up any low end power as any increase in air flow won't be noticed until higher up in the RPMs. I never tried the K&N myself so can't give any first hand experiences.

MoonDoggy-X

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
FYI, you do not notice a difference until 4000+rpm because that's when the variable valve timing switches over. During low load, the power output is limited by the vvt system, not the intake and exhaust, to conserve fuel. At high load, the engine is pumping air as much air as possible, to make as much power as possible. This is where the where the design of the oem parts are a limiting factor, and why you feel the difference at high rpm.