• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Will Genesis ever get it’s own brick and motor?

2015GEN80

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Does anyone know if Genesis is ever going to build its own dealerships? I took my recently purchased Genesis 3.8 AWD sedan to the local Hyundai Dealership in the Bay Area for service and felt like I dressed up in a tuxedo to go eat at McDonalds!! I had to wipe down my Genesis afterwards because it was covered in dust and had fingerprints all over the driver’s door and hood. I waited for my car in a 70’s built building with wood paneled walls, cheap tiled floors, and worn leather couches. The bathrooms looked like they belonged in a 60’s filling station! Nasty!

Hyundai needs to build its own shops to support and service their Genesis luxury line to compete with her competitors like BMW, Mercedes Benz, Audi, and Jaguar. I was at a nearby Jaguar dealership recently and that place was beautiful and spacious with all the amenities a waiting customer could ever want. Free expresso and snacks while one could watch their luxury car being serviced from a swanky lounge through a long bay window. And what a clean and organized maintenance bay. Simply first class!

Hyundai USA needs to step up and support its brand with new modern shops befitting it’s luxury cars!! How does Hyundai expect to compete with the European luxury brand cars if they force its Genesis owners to endure a sub par luxury service at their local (and very dated) Hyundai dealerships?

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Does anyone know if Genesis is ever going to build its own dealerships? I took my recently purchased Genesis G80 to the local Hyundai Dealership in the Bay Area for service and felt like I dressed up in a tuxedo to go eat at McDonalds!! I had to wipe down my G80 afterwards because it was covered in dust and had fingerprints all over the driver’s door and hood. I waited in in a 70’s built building with wood paneled walls, cheap tiled floors, and worn leather couches. The bathrooms looked like they belonged in a 60’s filling station! Nasty!

Genesis needs to build its own shops to equal a nice Mercedes or Jaguar dealership. I was at a nearby Jaguar dealership recently and that place was beautiful and spacious with all the amenities a waiting customer could ever want. Free expresso and snacks while one could watch their car being serviced from a swanky lounge through a long bay. And what a clean and organized maintenance bay. Simply first class!

Hyundai USA needs to step up and support its brand with new modern shops befitting it’s luxury cars!! How does Hyundai expect to compete with the European luxury brand cars if they force its Genesis owners to endure sub par luxury service at their local (and very dated) Hyundai dealerships?

Any thoughts?
Are you sure you have a 2015 G80?

Rspected

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I go to the dealer in sweatpants and a t shirt. Why would you get all dressed up unless you wanna flirt with the service advisor?

I agree that higher end dealers have nicer establishments but that's part of the reason they cost twice as much as the Genesis'. Genesis is more of what I'd call a "discount" luxury brand. I say that meaning it's trying it's best to have features and styling of the German brands but it often falls short and that is why the purchase price is much lower than similar competition in its' class.

Moral of the story is it's a discount luxury brand so expect a discount luxury establishment. It's a Hyundai, not a Rolls Royce. You get what you pay for.

Disclaimer: not ragging on the brand, I own a Genesis. But I stay realistic about it.

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Rspected

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Following that logic then I guess you would say that a Lexus is a Toyota, Infiniti is a Nissan and Audi is a Volkswagen. There are obviously differences (quality, features, etc.) between each of those pairs just like there is a difference between Genesis and Hyundai,
Yes, your response is correct. Quite literally that is the truth. If you go to the place of manufacture, ie. Japan for Nissan, there is no such thing as Infiniti. They are marketed as Nissan's. The Infiniti G35 in Japan is a Nissan 350GT. They become Infiniti's when they hit the US market.

I'm aware Genesis/Hyundai diverted into it's own high end/low end branding. But I dont see Genesis ever getting to a point where it's actually competing with brands like Mercedes and BMW. Those brands compete with each other and are currently laughing about Genesis' efforts to make a car worthy enough to compete with them. Yes, Genesis is a luxury brand - no, it cannot hang with the big boys.

Theres a reason a 19 Mercedes S Class AMG retails for $120k or so and the latest G90 only retails for $70k. They're just not comparibles. Genesis is doing a good job but I just hope their ideology isn't to compete with these higher end luxury brands.

Last edited:

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

66nexus

Been here awhile...
Can't speak for anywhere else but the dealer in Freehold, NJ completely gutted and is repurposing a building complex on an adjacent lot to be a completely separate Genesis dealership. So far looks great.

Rspected

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I don't think they realistically expect to compete with either BMW or MB in an overall sense. They will definitely steal some customers away from them and the other luxury brands. Obviously specific model segments will have various front runners but I would think they could steal enough away from each to end up as the 3rd or 4th in each segment.

I have never been in a Genesis but after having my BMW for a couple of months it is definitely an extremely high bar for Genesis, or other manufactures, too reach. They may do it and I will give them a chance to when my lease is ending. I heard something today that I never thought I would hear my wife say. We were picking up our grandson and she was getting him into the X5 and she said "I really love this car". I said wow, I can't believe you said that. She said of course, I can get a massage and listen to Johnny Cash (I loaded some albums into the car for her) at the same time. That's my girl. LOL
That's funny man. And dont get it twisted. I love my Genesis. But it's definitely missing features for a 2012 such as bluetooth music which competing same year and class models do possess. Hyundai could figure out bluetooth phone calls but couldn't configure it for music capability? Guess that's what you get when you shop discount luxury. Feels weird having to use an AUX cord but it is what it is. Got it for a steal.

Genesis is doing well emerging into a highly competitive market with some quality products, just dont expect the MB treatment in terms of style, quality and performance.

2015GEN80

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
It is in the works but it will take some time to actually happen. One reason, the line cannot yet support a full fledged stand alone dealership until the SUVs are available.

Keep in mind, the Genesis it the best equipped car for the money. Yes, most Jag and Merc dealers are nice, but you pay for it too. How much does a cup of cappuccino cost at the local coffee shop versus the Jag dealer? Over the life of the car you are paying maybe $1000 a cup.

As for wiping off the dust, no excuse. My dealer gives me the car back vacuumed and washed. Yours should too.
Sounds good news to me. I can't wait to bring my lovely car to an appropriate shop to for service.

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
I have a 2015 Genesis 3.8 HTRAC. I know the G80's start at 2017. That's simply my tag line.
My point was that like me, you are driving a Hyundai model named Genesis. Like me, you get it serviced at a Hyundai dealer. Like the rest of us, you look around and find the dealer who best meets your needs for service. I’m guessing you have other options. I have three dealers to choose from and use two regularly. Each one has positives and negatives.

Michael/

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Interesting discussion. The two announced Genesis dealers in the SoCal Inland Empire, (from one of which I bought my first Genesis), are no longer dealers. The Hyundai dealer in Temecula says they will still service my 2017 G80, including the concierge service, even though they lost their dealership. However, there doesn't appear to be a dealer within 40 miles to replace the two lost dealers. Makes me wonder if Genesis is hitting a financial wall? Don't know how they expect to grow without any dealers where you can walk in and see/drive any of the Genesis cars. It would be nice if Genesis Corporation would respond to some of the concerns being expressed in this forum.

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

BabblingBafoon

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Downingtown, PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Rspected

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
To the OP, my Hyundai dealer is VERY clean and super responsive to me as a Genesis owner. They go out of their way to make the experience as nice as possible. I do think they need to be selling an SUV before they can stand-alone, and the goal (as I understand it) is to eventually have stand-alone Genesis dealers/service shops... but it can take some time. It sounds like you simply went to a bad Hyundai dealer/service shop.

I couldn't disagree with the statement that Genesis can't compete with "the big boys", because that's EXACTLY what they did with me. I literally shopped every manufacturer, and focused on Merc, BMW, Audi, Jag/LR, Alfa and Maserati. While some of those competing cars have slightly better materials in their vehicles than my 2018 G80 Sport, anything that was competitively equipped was also $20K more than my G80. And don't go thinking I just couldn't afford the extra $20K. I spent over $250K on vehicles in the past 12 months, and one of those vehicles was over $100K for my wife. What is important to me is value for my money, and the new Genesis G80 Sport has that in spades over its competing rivals IMO. The new G70 may be my next car, but only because it's ~1,000 lbs lighter than my G80 Sport with the same engine!
Let's agree to disagree then. It's the small details and extra features that set bigger brands apart. Performance and handling are big factors in what sets the vehicle's brands apart.

I like Genesis, but I think they are more in line to compete with Lexus and Acura than their German counterparts.

BabblingBafoon

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Downingtown, PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Rspected

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I would absolutely agree with you from a "reputation" and brand recognition as being perceived as "expensive", better and luxurious, but BMW for one has been using some questionable materials in their recent vehicles. A guy I work with bought a 2018 BMW 5 series that was decently equipped and cost more than my G80 sport. The headliner is coarse and unattractive, there are plenty of hard plastic surfaces, and his vehicle already has creaks and cracks as he's driving. The tech really isn't any better than what I have, and my car has MORE tech than his.

But if someone is worried about what other people will think about their purchase, then I agree BMW and Mercedes have it over Genesis all day long. I know plenty of people that will knowingly buy a lesser quality BMW model over a Genesis *just* so people think/know they spent more. To me that is just ridiculous.

Mercedes does tend to have better interior materials (more so than BMW lately), but I still struggle with the value-for-price. I seriously considered the E45 AMG over my G80 Sport, but the value buy went to Genesis, and I don't feel like I lost out on anything other than a slightly nicer interior (leather and wood).

Lexus and Infiniti are probably the closest comparison I suppose. Acura, in my mind, has fallen back.

Not to be combative in any way, but I am curious what you mean by "the small details and extra features that set bigger brands apart"?
For instance. I was in a ~2016 s class at my job and the seat had a built in back massager.... most 2019 cars dont even have that and this is an older model.

Edit: and I believe that Mercedes was also the first to have ambient low dash lighting features as well to set the mood in the vehicle

BabblingBafoon

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Downingtown, PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums