Will Sedans Make A Cmeback?

DarinG90

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Just as the title asks: Do you think sedans will (ever) make a comeback? Or will they continue to be a lesser and lesser mix of sales until they are all-but-gone?

Personally, I love sedans.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Just as the title asks: Do you think sedans will (ever) make a comeback? Or will they continue to be a lesser and lesser mix of sales until they are all-but-gone?

Personally, I love sedans.
Doubt they will ever get the market share of years ago but I think there will always be some available. Choices will be limited. I can see a few places where an SUV may be handy but my preference is a sedan. I like a trunk, not a pile of stuff behind the rear seat.

Richard Mississauga

Old Fart
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Canada
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Sedans will be around for some time, but in what form?

Some of us old timers remember a very popular car style called the Station Wagon, link provided for you Millennials....

The station wagon has evolved into the modern SUV, which has also devolved into some hideous thing called a Crossover ????

In any event, god knows what the future of the sedan will be, but I am sure it will be something (hopefully NOT THIS)

DarinG90

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Sedans will be around for some time, but in what form?

Some of us old timers remember a very popular car style called the Station Wagon, link provided for you Millennials....

The station wagon has evolved into the modern SUV, which has also devolved into some hideous thing called a Crossover ????

In any event, god knows what the future of the sedan will be, but I am sure it will be something (hopefully NOT THIS)

Hehe. I'm of the same vintage. I'm not at all a fan of these car bassed "SUV"s. I had a real truck for years (Tahoe) and I loved it. It didn't try to be a car. It was a truck, with all the benefits of a big truck (cargo, power, high clearance, big grippy tires mainly).

To me, luxury and crossover don't fit in the same category.

PFWiz

Registered Member
Lorain, Ohio
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Not sure if sedans will ever make a comeback. My family has driven nothing but GM products for the past 20 plus years. I used to work in the automotive field installing and tuning automated sealant and adhesive equipment in body shops. I actually installed the first equipment (Nordson Automotive Pro Flo systems) in Hyundai's then brand new Ulsan plant. As some of you may know this is where the G80 are now built.
Anyway my point is that for a long time GM built some of the best bodies in the industry. Unfortunately GM has decided to pretty much get out of the car business and I am not a truck / SUV kind of guy. So here I am hopefully driving the best reasonably priced large sedan available.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

DarinG90

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Yeah, not just GM, many automakers are getting out of the car-making business. Cross-over SUV's all the way.

Edit: Which is a real shame, with many of the current models - take a good handling car chassis - now raise it six inches (or more). Handling is seriously compromised.

A purpose-build SUV is fine, even great, and I'm all for them... they are designed from the ground up for the height/weight/wheel-size, etc. These cross-overs though - "trucks" based on car platforms... uggggg.

Last edited:

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Anyway my point is that for a long time GM built some of the best bodies in the industry. Unfortunately GM has decided to pretty much get out of the car business and I am not a truck / SUV kind of guy. So here I am hopefully driving the best reasonably priced large sedan available.
Yes, they used to make good bodies but then started hanging crap on them. I drove GM cars for years too but my last couple of cars were a poor experience and will never own another one. My last three cars were back at the dealer within the first week with a problem. I used to pass the dealer on my way home from work and always waved to the salesman from my Hyundai if he was out on the lot.

pmckechnie

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Matthews, NC
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Since day one of car manufacturing they have made sedans, and I think they always will. (I hope)

Ragnar

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
EdP have to agree,I too drove GM for years my 1st new car was an basic 1974 Firebird was a reasonable car with few problems. Though on taking it in to a shop for a wheel alignment was told they couldn’t do it because of the super cheap single action shocks it came with .
Last one was a new 1998 Bonneville that was in shop more than it was on the road,absolute piece of junk. Switched to Toyota Avalon sedan and never looked back. Took a chance with Hyundai when purchased our Genesis and having the same experience...happy happy happy!

PMCErnie

Ancient ‘steemed Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Doubt they will ever get the market share of years ago but I think there will always be some available. Choices will be limited. I can see a few places where an SUV may be handy but my preference is a sedan. I like a trunk, not a pile of stuff behind the rear seat.
Trunk organizers and a cargo net do wonders for making the cargo area of an SUV/Crossover behave like a “trunk.” The only negative is the higher lift height.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners