Will stock brake pads last through 2 days of track session?

G-466777

Hopefully someone has already tracked their car and can relay their experience?

Can I depend on stock pads or change to performance brake pads prior to track days?

Calipers and stock pads are like new.....only 2,200 miles on them....I signed up to instruct at Barber for a 2 day session in Nov and may do another 3 day session mid-September nearby (smaller track....straight only half mile....harder on tires than on brake pads).

Avernus

Registered Member
Genesis G70
Have you read up on the pad deposit issues w/ the stock pads? In summary, I would not do any high performance driving w/ the stock pads, as they'll leave pad deposits on the rotors and lead to significant vibration when braking.

Pads are a consumable item, so I would just eat the up front cost for track specific pads and swap them on before the track day for more peace of mind with regards to fade resistance and overall performance. Plus swapping the pads on our cars is super easy, the pads slide in and out with 2 pins.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis G70
I would suggest the Sport compound pads. Stock non-sport pads are prone to fade. Just go read C&D Lightining lap account of the Stinger. Not good. It all changed with the Sport pads.

I have also wondered the OP’s question. I am considering track days, and since i am 6MT i already have the Sport pads. Only the 6MT and US-spec Dynamic trims got the Sport pads.

Riouxgrande

Registered Member
Genesis G70
The 2020 3.3 sport comes with sport pads, right? Lol

Riouxgrande

Registered Member
Genesis G70
It says in the Genesis 2020 Brochure thing that the Prestige AND Sport 3.3 models have 'Brembo High Performance Braking System' as well as Variable Gear Ratio Steering (which isn't available on any other trims than the Sport and Prestige models)

https://www.genesis.com/content/dam...020-All-Line-Brochure-EN.pdf?logActivity=true
Page 27.

Yea I assumed the pads were sport but I also wouldn't put it past them to put standard pads under the brembo calipers as a cost cutter. They gotta make their margins somewhere on a car with such good value lol

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis G70
^ yeah, they were referred to as "performance compound pads" in the specs when launched in 2019. but those same pads are also known as the euro pads - and this is now the more common identifier since it is clearer. they are semi-metallic compound, not the ceramic that the regular pads are.

the Brembos are part of the Sport packages (as well as other trims), but only the 6MT (US and CAD) and 3.3T Dynamic (US only) trims got the euro/performance compound pads.

here's a link that explains it:
2019 Genesis G70: Equipped To Compete

for the 6MT trim:

1595625794813.png

for the 3.3T Dynamic:

1595625859685.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Yri

No Genesis Yet!
Ok, I do stand corrected. I thought the Brembo brakes were supposed to have 'performance' pads no matter what, suppose I was wrong. So, any MY trims over 2019 don't have euro spec pads in the US.

Riouxgrande

Registered Member
Genesis G70
Ok, I do stand corrected. I thought the Brembo brakes were supposed to have 'performance' pads no matter what, suppose I was wrong. So, any MY trims over 2019 don't have euro spec pads in the US.
My thoughts exactly. That's messed up lol. Why downgrade the pads??

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis G70
^ no, the 6MT trim still does. If they discontinued the 3.3T Dynamic (i don’t know what US trims are available currently), then only one trim remains with the euro ‘performance’ pads - the 6MT.

The euro pads do dust like crazy to go with their bite. So there’s that. Makes me thankful for the dark 5 spoke Sport rims!

Joho75287

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis G70
I have a 19 Sport 3.3 and regardless of what the pads are called/are, they are trash. I had deposits within 6k miles and had to start rebedding my brakes about 1-2 times a month within 10k miles. I have 14k miles now and just upgraded to gyrodisc pads and drilled/slotted rotors...

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums