Will this work, 2011 4.6

Stang5o84

Hasn't posted much yet...
Hi,
I know that this has been talked about a million times, but would 255 45 18 work with the stock rims. If anyone could help out, I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Hi,
I know that this has been talked about a million times, but would 255 45 18 work with the stock rims. If anyone could help out, I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks
Yes that will work. I just had 245/50 installed on my stock 4.6 and they are much softer quieter, and they have better grip than the oem did. The 255/45 will definitely fit in the wheel well and the extra 20mm of width should not be an issue for any rim shop. I have my tires warrantied by walmart(strange, I know) but each store has different pit crews and I've found a store that does good service Sewell as the tire warranty is good nationwide, their warranty benefits are great for 10 bucks per tire. The next set of tires you purchase will then be prorated, free tire replacement in the first 12 months if there is an unfixable problem. Free patches nationwide. Free balancing and rotating through the life of the tire.

Anyway, use this website to do calculations. 255/45 will definitely work but I think you will be extremely satisfied with the 245/50 aswell. The 10mm of extra tire width really helps with traction. It will only break traction with 40% pedal and in rainy conditions while coming out of corners whereas the oem tires broke traction frequently in dry conditions these haven't broken traction in dry conditions yet and I've put about 5500 miles onto them so far. I went with the Bridgestone serenity.
If you bump the sidewalls up 5% you will also be satisfied with the increase of ride quality. By widening the tires to 255 you will naturally be increasing the tire wall. The stock tire walls are 105.75 mm tall. The tire walls you're looking to have installed will be 114.75mm tall and the 245/50 option(wider and taller sidewall) will leave the sidewall with a width of 122.5mm so as you can see, there is still room for adjustments, enlargement wise. I think you should go for it. Whether you do 255 or 245 with a taller wall it's going to come down to your perceived preference of wheelsize:wheel well. I can tell you that the 245/50 fills the wheel well properly, unlike the 235/45 does. With that being said, your tire choice will also positively fit perfect. I cannot fathom the extra 5mm on the inside of the tire dragging or rubbing since mine don't and mine are the tallest. The tiniest bit extra width isn't going to bother your wheel wells. That 9mm increase in wall height may really give you a noticeable difference in ride quality too. I know, for a fac, that the extra 17mm of wall height helped this vehicles ride exponentially. On oem tires the car was not comfortable over 105-110mph and really only felt stable up to about 85-90mph. With the Bridgestone serenity set that is currently installed the stability and comfort does not diminish until the vehicle is travelling in excess of 135mph. At 135-125 the vehicle stays poised comfortable, no shakes, wobbles, ect. At 150, all front end tightness is lost. So I guess what I'm saying is the 245/50s work perfectly for what the car is ready to dish out. And the 255s might even give you a little more traction ripping through the cities and perhaps more stability at 135+ since there is a bit shorter sidewall. You will be happy with your purchase. Now you have to choose the right tire for your preferences. I'd just go with one of the top 3 or 4 most expensive to ensure ride quality. My serenity tires are extremely quiet and telegraph the noise of driving over the black crack sealer at hwy speeds only. I give the serenity a 9/10 in quietness, 9.5 for control/stability and a 9.5 for comfort.

Stang5o84

Thank you so much for your details reply, so my heart is set on having 255 in width, but you're saying I should go with the 50 profile on it, and it will be good even at top speeds of over 135, or were you saying that a 245

Stang5o84

Thank you so much for your details reply, so my heart is set on having 255 in width, but you're saying I should go with the 50 profile on it, and it will be good even at top speeds of over 135, or were you saying that a 245
At 2:45 would work more stable at top speed? Also when you have put on the larger tires have how do you correct the speedometer on the vehicle or you just don't? Thanks again for your help I really appreciate it!

edizzle89

Registered Member
Columbus, IN
Genesis Model Type
width doesnt have as much to do with top speed, tires come with a speed rating, if you plan on doing over 135 then get a tire with the proper speed rating

Genesis Model Type
At 2:45 would work more stable at top speed? Also when you have put on the larger tires have how do you correct the speedometer on the vehicle or you just don't? Thanks again for your help I really appreciate it!
The 245/50, in theory, might be a touch less stable at 135+ than the 255/45 because the 245/50 has a taller sidewall which could cause a tiny bit more give when going over bumps. The 255/45 has 5% less sidewall height so it will give less over bumps, which, in theory, should provide a tiny bit safer of a feel at edge. Do The 255/45s so as no not be too tall. If you did go with the 255/50 I don't think there would be ANY issue, and if there was, it would be that the edges rub when the wheel is cranked all the way but I doubt that would happen with just another 10mm increase in size over my 245/50s. Mine fill the wheel well nicely but there surely is room to spare.
So the 255/45 would give you a more firm and sporty ride in comparison to the 255/50 which might just be the tiniest bit softer of a ride. In all reality, a 255/45 isn't going to be super stable at 135+ either. If you were to drop to a 255/35 then it would be ALOT more sporty at higher speeds but then you're sacrificing ride quality every single time you drive through a city, over a pothole, mancover, speed bump. The car is extremely poised at 135 on the tires I have and the vehicle itself becomes unstable at 150 so there isn't much more speed to squeeze out before reaching the vehicles maximum speed anyway. The 255/45 will definitely do you right and give you what you're looking for, the only question is do you prefer sport or comfort more? If you're leaning toward sport then do the 45s. If you're leaning toward comfort, do the 50s. You are going to be thoroughly impressed by your purchas. Be sure to read tire reviews before making the decision.

Genesis Model Type
Bridgestone serenity in a 255/45 is rated at 168mph and then the 245/50 speed rating is set at 149mph which will backup the assertion that a taller sidewall may reduce high speed stability. You will want to lookup a speed rating chart and be sure the tire you purchase is rated for 149 or above. It's important to observe this chart, no doubt, when choosing a tire. Your vehicle will need either a V, Z, or W rated tire or better. So in this scenario the 255/45 is the better/stronger tire according to the manufacturers on the serenity tire.

rstlne

CA
Genesis Model Type
Yes, what Wisco has said. For comfort, taller sidewalls. For a better driving experience, shorter sidewalls. I'm running aftermarket 19x8.5 19x9.5 wheels with a staggered 245/40/19 and 275/35/19; drives better, but I can feel more road bumps.

Curious, which stock wheels do you have? If they're the 7.5" wheels, 255 tires may be too fat for the wheel. If it is the 8" wide wheels, it will work, and that is probably the max width you'll wan to go on a daily driven car, and you're veering off of the "recommended" tire size for that size wheel width.

Stang5o84

Yes, what Wisco has said. For comfort, taller sidewalls. For a better driving experience, shorter sidewalls. I'm running aftermarket 19x8.5 19x9.5 wheels with a staggered 245/40/19 and 275/35/19; drives better, but I can feel more road bumps.

Curious, which stock wheels do you have? If they're the 7.5" wheels, 255 tires may be too fat for the wheel. If it is the 8" wide wheels, it will work, and that is probably the max width you'll wan to go on a daily driven car, and you're veering off of the "recommended" tire size for that size wheel width.
Yes I just have the stock 7.5 inch wide rims that's why I was trying to see if I would be able to go 255 wide with the rim, I thought I read on another forum of people using that wide of a tire on their stock rims, but I dunno

rstlne

CA
Genesis Model Type
If you're set on it, it's worth a shot but you'll have to assume all the risks involved. I think it'll bulge and not perform or look good, but I mean, it can fit and may work. It reminds me of folks going to that super stretched look but this is at the opposite end of the spectrum. Personally for me, on a 7.5 wide rim, I would go 245 max. Although, then it goes to tire manufacturers as some 245s may be or appear as wide as some 255s so there is that variable.

Genesis Model Type
I thought it may help with your decision making if I posted photos of mine for comparison. These are the 245/50 Bridgestone serenity. I highly recommend this tire. I did notice that it appears as though my driverside front is squatting a little bit so I dropped it off this morning, after taking these pictures, to have checked out.

My next move is to pickup a set of rims off the newer 3.8s And then put my current rubber onto those and put some blizzaks on these peeling factory rims. 20181010_101040.jpg 20181010_101040.jpg 20181010_101049.jpg 20181010_101055.jpg 20181010_101110.jpg 20181010_101115.jpg 20181010_101122.jpg

Attachments

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.