• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Genesis owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Windshield tint

Hans67

Hercules, CA. USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Considering tinting my windshield but I'm slightly worried about the Alcantara closes to the glass from water saturation. Also possible water that may go behind the dash.

Does any one have windshield tint? If so, were there any issues?
Most reputable tint shop has a proper way of preparation before installing it. They have a cover for the dash and other places so that water and other shampoo, chemicals won't slip into any of your interior finish. Look for ceramic tint installers.

Tommym

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Henderson, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Ultimate
I had my windshield and sunroof tinted with Air 80 BL SR HPR, windows have Pinnacle PI 35. I had a good shop that does ceramic tint do the work. Zero damage to the Napa leather dash or the brushed suede rear deck. They told me the ceramic used on the front windshield had to be heated and formed to the curved glass. They did it outside the car then installed it. Has a slight green tint but not noticeable. Did it mainly to protect the dash pad.

v1911

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Had Air 90 installed on my windshield and sunroof. The only time I can notice the windshield tint is if I’m driving into the sun. Then I see a slight blue haze.
I do notice though with polarized sunglasses, I can see the color separation as cross the windshield ever so slightly.

If you want tint done in the DFW area, I can recommend a terrific place. Llumar Elite installer. Great work, very reasonable pricing.

G-662299

Most reputable tint shop has a proper way of preparation before installing it. They have a cover for the dash and other places so that water and other shampoo, chemicals won't slip into any of your interior finish. Look for ceramic tint installers.
Thank you.

MrTate

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I had my car tinted all the way around 5% on all side windows and 30% on the windshield. No issues at all. I have a medical exemption from my neurologist that I filed through the State's Dept of Motor Vehicles, however I live in Florida and everyone has their windshield tinted. The cops really don't bother you about unless you give them a reason.

20210915_192835-jpg.39788

20210915_192819-jpg.39787

20210915_193048-jpg.39784

Last edited:

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I had my car tinted all the way around 5% on all side windows and 30% on the windshield. No issues at all. I have a medical exemption from my neurologist that I filed through the State's Dept of Motor Vehicles, however I live in Florida and everyone has their windshield tinted. The cops really don't bother you about unless you give them a reason.
I live in Florida and know one person with windshield tint at 70% and a few with a top band. I'd say a few, not everyone.

MrTate

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
I live in Jacksonville and see 6-10 vehicles a day with a fully tinted windshield, Whenever I travel to other metro areas within the state I see the same thing I see in Jacksonville.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Tommym

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Henderson, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Ultimate
How do you handle driving at night with tint that dark? I live in Las Vegas and see very few cars with the windshield tinted. Usually kids in their rice burners. My G80 has ceramic tint on the windshield and sunroof with a slight tint, dark for the rest, 30% I think. I have to lower the windows in my TBird to back up at night.

MrTate

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
How do you handle driving at night with tint that dark? I live in Las Vegas and see very few cars with the windshield tinted. Usually kids in their rice burners. My G80 has ceramic tint on the windshield and sunroof with a slight tint, dark for the rest, 30% I think. I have to lower the windows in my TBird to back up at night.
I'm used to it. My other cars have the same tint and I've driven all over the Southeast and up to NYC and CT. Definitely comes in handy driving is the summer sun.

wrk2hrd

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I stopped caring about tint laws when I was a deputy and multiple state/federal agencies (from the 3 surrounding counties that I knew of) would hire "a guy" to do our unmarked issued and personal vehicles with limo tint all the way around.

The unfortunate fact is I am of a particular background that is not generally, if ever at all, stereotyped and sought after. So long as I give no OTHER reason to attract LEO attention, I've never been bothered about my tint in 20+ years. As always, YMMV.

Coincidentally I'm having my G80's windshield and top strip done today and as with all of my past vehicles, it will not be "legal".

As for the Alcantara, HUD, and rain-sensing wipers...I'll report back my findings.