Windshield Washer Freezing

flynavy

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
2017 G90 Windshield Washer Tank Freezing
Anyone had this difficulty?
Yesterday at the 2nd day below 17deg's my washers froze. Now understand I rarely use the washers so I was sure the tank was still full. But when I attempted to use the sprayer nothing came out. So perhaps the tank may have been empty I stopped at a part store and picked up a gal, tried to adds but it only took about 1/4 cup. Now understand this was at night and I really couldn't see into the resv fill. In the morning I looked in and saw ICE so I put the car into the garage and put my salamander (forced air heater) in front and waited. Sure enough after about 3 hrs the washers started to work.
Now I'm not sure if my G90 came from the factory w/fluid or perhaps the dealer that serviced my car last topped it off with just water, but in 50 years I've NEVER had this reservoir freeze.
Now I want to drain the tank just to be sure It doesn't happen again and fill it with fresh non-deluted washer solution. PROBLEM: is I can't find any drain or even put a tube into the tank to syphon off the old to replace with new...
Any suggestions? other then the dealer?

Last edited:

Kp117

Registered Member
I have a G80 and I am on my 4th or 5th gallon of washer fluid since I bought the car. Mine froze too. I think this is a design defect with Hyundai.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
washer fluid has a freeze point of -15° to -35° depending on the concentration of methanol in it, the more methanol the lower the freeze point. has nothing to do with being a design defect. but rather cheap fluid, Walmart, 99cent stores, Dollar stores, all tend to have a lower level of methanol so the freeze point is very low, some are nothing more than vinegar and water so they freeze at 32°.

frozen washer fluid can crack the plastic tank or damage the pump.

to drain the tank you will have to pull the hose line off the bottom of the tank from under the car,

a better way to thaw the fluid is to pour 88% or better isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol mixed with warm (not hot) water (1:1 ratio) into the tank this will not only thaw the fluid, 88% ISO has a freeze point of -126° so it will keep it from freezing again.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

ctrcbob

Been here awhile...
Mostly living in the Orlando area, when arving for service, dealers fill the washer tank with water or soapy water. Because I may be called to Western NY, (family energy) I not only tell dealers, but also tape a sign on the washer bottle; DO NOT ADD WASHER FLUID. Washer fluid that does not freeze is hard to find here, so whenever I do find some, I buy a couple gallons. I also stock up whenever I do go up North.

When I had my 2009 Genesis V8, while out in Roswell/Rudoso NM, in an emergency, I added a bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol. Worked fine except I could smell it every time I used the washers.

flynavy

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
washer fluid has a freeze point of -15° to -35° depending on the concentration of methanol in it, the more methanol the lower the freeze point. has nothing to do with being a design defect. but rather cheap fluid, Walmart, 99cent stores, Dollar stores, all tend to have a lower level of methanol so the freeze point is very low, some are nothing more than vinegar and water so they freeze at 32°.

frozen washer fluid can crack the plastic tank or damage the pump.

to drain the tank you will have to pull the hose line off the bottom of the tank from under the car,

a better way to thaw the fluid is to pour 88% or better isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol mixed with warm (not hot) water (1:1 ratio) into the tank this will not only thaw the fluid, 88% ISO has a freeze point of -126° so it will keep it from freezing again.
Thanks for letting me know where that hose could be found, appreciate that!
And oh BTW our temp here this past week was at 11 - 15 degrees nowhere near -15 or -35 I do however remember my 750Li and my Audi A8L the resv was in close proximity to the radiator, not as this G90 is behind the wheel well cowling next to the pass side fender. Where there is never any heat close to it at all. Perhaps Kp117 might be on to something not in the design of the tank but rather its location on the car, Humm Just a thought.

flynavy

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
2017 G90 Windshield Washer Tank Freezing
Anyone had this difficulty?
Yesterday at the 2nd day below 17deg's my washers froze. Now understand I rarely use the washers so I was sure the tank was still full. But when I attempted to use the sprayer nothing came out. So perhaps the tank may have been empty I stopped at a part store and picked up a gal, tried to adds but it only took about 1/4 cup. Now understand this was at night and I really couldn't see into the resv fill. In the morning I looked in and saw ICE so I put the car into the garage and put my salamander (forced air heater) in front and waited. Sure enough after about 3 hrs the washers started to work.
Now I'm not sure if my G90 came from the factory w/fluid or perhaps the dealer that serviced my car last topped it off with just water, but in 50 years I've NEVER had this reservoir freeze.
Now I want to drain the tank just to be sure It doesn't happen again and fill it with fresh non-deluted washer solution. PROBLEM: is I can't find any drain or even put a tube into the tank to syphon off the old to replace with new...
Any suggestions? other then the dealer?
Well Guy's first let me start by saying thanks to all who responded to my request for assistance.

Now today I went to a local service shop and asked them to syphoned the washer tank. They used a piece of 1/4" tubing and worked it down the throat of the fill tube into the reservoir and remove the fluid....
Upon examination of the fluid removed they told me that this solution was not at full strength, because of the color. Now I do believe my suspicions were correct about the dealers service dept. Reason, because the color of the fluid removed was very VERY light blue, almost clear, no where near the color of the washer solution I picked up at the parts store, which would indicate the service dept. just topped off the washer solution. Hence the freezing of the fluid. Fortunately, the resv didn't break since I didn't see any leakage after I refilled the tank.
Again guys thanks for responding, really appreciate it!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.