• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Windshield Wiper Gripes

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My windshield wipers have been streaking since the day I got the car. I've cleaned them about as thoroughly as a person is capable of cleaning wiper blades, and still they leave annoying streaks in my field of vision. No chatter or sound and otherwise the wipe quality is good, but they streak as if some kind of dirt was stuck between the blade and the windshield. I even clay barred the windshield in the hopes that this was the issue, and it wasn't. Very annoying.

I finally got fed up and swapped them out for some cheap Michelin wipers from Costco, which work as the good lord intended.

I know the wipers are covered under a 1-year warranty so I called my local hyundai dealer and asked if I could just swap those for new ones. Apparently not... even though they're just some stupid wiper blades, I would need to make an appointment, come in and have it checked out and have them replace it just like any other warranty claim. What a complete waste of time...

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Funny you mention this.

I always struggle with a good wipe on my 2015 no matter what brand blades I use. I think last batch was Rain-X. Did ok for a while but this weeks rain I found every wipe made the whole windshield a blurry mess.

I may try the Michelin this time.

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My windshield wipers have been streaking since the day I got the car. I've cleaned them about as thoroughly as a person is capable of cleaning wiper blades, and still they leave annoying streaks in my field of vision. No chatter or sound and otherwise the wipe quality is good, but they streak as if some kind of dirt was stuck between the blade and the windshield. I even clay barred the windshield in the hopes that this was the issue, and it wasn't. Very annoying.

I finally got fed up and swapped them out for some cheap Michelin wipers from Costco, which work as the good lord intended.

I know the wipers are covered under a 1-year warranty so I called my local hyundai dealer and asked if I could just swap those for new ones. Apparently not... even though they're just some stupid wiper blades, I would need to make an appointment, come in and have it checked out and have them replace it just like any other warranty claim. What a complete waste of time...
i have the same problem! youre not alone. Being in Vegas I dont have much rain so I prob wont get it fixed until the rubber starts falling off but even brand new the things streaked my windshield

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I’ve used the Costco Michelin ones and while they work, they aren't a slim profile one like the OEM. I hated looking at the bulky connection point on it.

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I’ve used the Costco Michelin ones and while they work, they aren't a slim profile one like the OEM. I hated looking at the bulky connection point on it.
Honestly even if they have limited longevity they're so cheap that I can just get another set every six months if need be. In the past I've found no correlation between cost of wipers and quality.

PL718

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I hate streaking windows like that.

I have had good results with Rain-X replacement wipers on various vehicles.

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I had the same issue with my G70 in the spring. I needed a new windshield and had the dealer change the wiper blades at the same time. 3 months later the new blades from Genesis area streaking worse than the old ones. I will be trying something different shortly.

Oddly enough I changed the blades on my wife's Grand Cherokee at almost the exact same time with OEM blades from Jeep and they are still working perfect and the Jeep has seen more miles.

Typically in every vehicle I have ever owned I replace the wipers once a year. The G70 is the first vehicle ever where that seems to be an issue.

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I had the same issue with my G70 in the spring. I needed a new windshield and had the dealer change the wiper blades at the same time. 3 months later the new blades from Genesis area streaking worse than the old ones. I will be trying something different shortly.

Oddly enough I changed the blades on my wife's Grand Cherokee at almost the exact same time with OEM blades from Jeep and they are still working perfect and the Jeep has seen more miles.

Typically in every vehicle I have ever owned I replace the wipers once a year. The G70 is the first vehicle ever where that seems to be an issue.
I'm torn on whether it might be some basic problem with the wipers rather than my particular wipers, because the loaner Hyundai Kona I was driving had the hyundai factory wipers and they were excellent.

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

What sizes did you get from costco? The other thread mentioned 26 and 18 but the website says 26 and 16.

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What sizes did you get from costco? The other thread mentioned 26 and 18 but the website says 26 and 16.
It was 26/18, no fitment issues. I didn't put them side by side by I feel like 16 would be a tad short on the passenger side.

UberGen

Registered Member
Virginia
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I consider wiper blades a wear item and always figure I'm doing great if I get even a solid year out of them. Replacing them at least annually is the cost of doing business.
I like the Bosch Icon.

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What I've noticed is that it has to do with the wiper fluid more than the wipers. The bug-b-gone stuff or the rain-x washer fluids seem to cause that stuttering issue as they leave "films" on the windscreen.

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What I've noticed is that it has to do with the wiper fluid more than the wipers. The bug-b-gone stuff or the rain-x washer fluids seem to cause that stuttering issue as they leave "films" on the windscreen.
I've given up putting products on the windshield. The car itself is coated in sealant with a topcoat of spray wax on every surface EXCEPT the windshield. I clean and clay bar the windshield on a regular basis to keep embedded dirt away, and clean the wiper blades religiously.

KptKrunch

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

I wonder if that's why they offer the 'upgraded' ones as an accessory when you purchase. How much was it to replace your windshield? Did you get the protection plan - I'm told that it includes one windshield replacement and that the cost of the windshield pretty much pays for that plan.

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I don't remember an option for a protection plan. Windshield was ~$1800 CAD. I had insurance coverage so I only had to pay $250 deductible plus my $50 or so for the premium for the year.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums