Windshield Wipers

Sarge101st

Registered Member
Sarasota
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Just a little review. I love the project farm videos on Youtube. I feel that the guy running the channel does thorough reviews replicating real world scenarios and considers multiple factors to the items he's testing.

I recently watched the video on wiper blades he did and the Michelin Endurance XT (a Walmart exclusive,) came out on top so I bought the blades and gave them a try. Unfortunately after all I tried there was too much streaking and squealing on my windshield from them. I've always used the PIAA Si-tech blades purchased on Amazon and they're always perfectly quiet and consistent. Unfortunately the Michelin blades were the opposite. I won't even try out the new RainX Advantedge blades at Autozone since I have always had consistently good luck with the PIAA blades.

On a side note. I clean my windshield with an terry pad on an orbital buffer with glass cleaner. Swap out the pad for a fresh one and apply RainX with the buffer. Wipe off RainX with a microfiber cloth and then I apply a second layer of ceramic coating. The windshield glass is smooth as can be without sanding down the glass so I know it's not my windshield causing the issue with the Michelin blades as I swapped and immediately had perfection from the PIAA blades.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
On a side note. I clean my windshield with an terry pad on an orbital buffer with glass cleaner. Swap out the pad for a fresh one and apply RainX with the buffer. Wipe off RainX with a microfiber cloth and then I apply a second layer of ceramic coating. The windshield glass is smooth as can be without sanding down the glass so I know it's not my windshield causing the issue with the Michelin blades as I swapped and immediately had perfection from the PIAA blades.
Glass cleaner, RainX, then ceramic coating? Seems a bit much on a piece of glass. What does all of that do that plain old Windex does when you hit some bugs? Tried RainX years ago and did not like the results. RainX blades did work well though.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I tried RainX last spring and honestly, I can't say I noticed much difference. The water did bead off, but I still had to use the wipers anyway.

I've tried after market wiper blades / arms and end up going back to OEM. They just look and fit better.

princelybug

SUSTAINING MEMBER
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
AERO brand wipers from Amazon. Affordable, and they work well.

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
Just put on new set of mid level Rain-X blades. Easy swap out and has clean look when attached. Work quite well.

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I've used Rain X silicone blades for years - they seem to clear better & last half again as long.

SuperKing

Registered Member
Vancouver, BC
I use PIAA silicone inserts in the OEM frames. Best of both worlds.... still running on the same inserts since 2016. Oh, and I apply Aquapel every season. Stuff lasts 6 months unlike Rain X. Then again, silicone blades deposit silicone on the windshield over time and your windshield will bead water overtime anyways.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I've used Rain X silicone blades for years - they seem to clear better & last half again as long.
So just the insert / blade - not the whole arm. They fit okay I assume?

surprisinguy

Registered Member
NC
Genesis Model Type
I think OEM wipers look the best. Been back and forth with that situation. Currently running OEM and when the wear out I'm going to just replace the blades and see how that works.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I think OEM wipers look the best. Been back and forth with that situation. Currently running OEM and when the wear out I'm going to just replace the blades and see how that works.
That's what I'm getting at. The blade does the work, the arm is what we see. I can see using third party blade refills, but not arms.

jimbrown618

Registered Member
Halifax, NS Canada
Genesis Model Type
Michelin wipers from Costco....were $9.95 each.....seemed to work ok and cheap enough to change every 6 months :)

I also have a set of Bosch Icons that I received from a friend but haven't installed yet...pricey blades to buy though

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
I use Bosch Icon wipers blades with great results. My blades are about two years old and work well without any noticeable noises and skipping issues. The Icon wiper blades work like a person sitting on my hood using a squeegee to wipe the windshield during the rain. Damn good wiper blades.

jimbrown618

Registered Member
Halifax, NS Canada
Genesis Model Type
I use Bosch Icon wipers blades with great results. My blades are about two years old and work well without any noticeable noises and skipping issues. The Icon wiper blades work like a person sitting on my hood using a squeegee to wipe the windshield during the rain. Damn good wiper blades.

Yes, I've had good luck with them on other vehicles prior to this one...I'll be putting them on for the winter soon...

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Yes, I've had good luck with them on other vehicles prior to this one...I'll be putting them on for the winter soon...
I have been using the Icons for about 15 years on various cars and they work well until I traded the cars. I never had to replace a set on the same car as of yet. They also work well to remove ice and snow off the windshield without ripping apart like cheaper blades that I used before. Quality product for sure.

I am not sure if they are the best wiper blades available, but i know that they are reliable and perform as expected for a long time. Good enough for me.

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
I stopped replacing just the rubber blades long ago. I replace whole arm with blade now. The Rain X Expert Fit looks nice and clean, not like the old school blades from decades ago.

SuperKing

Registered Member
Vancouver, BC
I only replaced my inserts once. PIAA/silicone blades last like 3-5 years depending on where you live. I installed mine in early 2016 and are only now starting to streak. I tried all sorts of full frame wipers with my Sonata and results were always the same. They start to skip within a few weeks, never really quiet and they really chatter at 90+kph. That's why I opted to keep the OEM frame and replace the blade insert with the Genesis. It was designed to fit the car properly. I was willing to do this once a year or so but it's been 4 and they're still good.

It also rains like 10 months of the year here.

2for1

Hasn't posted much yet...
va
Any wiper should perform well if the windshield is cleaned periodically of the road grime and that forms on the surface.
Windex wont do it. Needs a mild abrasive to do the job. I use Bon Ami once or twice a year.
I know people that use 000 steel wool.
Denso Hybrid blades work good for me. I used Bosch for years and they work good also.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I stopped replacing just the rubber blades long ago. I replace whole frame with blade now. The Rain X Expert Fit looks nice and clean, not like the old school blades from decades ago.

That's the part I replace as well, I never could get just the blade right, they fit wrong or were too long or short. I like the OEM look of the original and that's why I've just bought the OEM replacement. But if you're saying the RainX Expert Fit looks good, I'll give it a try.

SuperKing

Registered Member
Vancouver, BC

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Seems like a lot of work just to get the surface as smooth as...glass.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums