Winter tire question - road feel Michelin X-Ice Snow

MattyD

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hey. Curious for anyone out there on G70 Sport. I have been in my car for now 3 weeks. Got the Genesis winter wheel and tire package - and it came with last year's Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires. Supposed to be with X-Ice SNOW. Dealer was terrific, and they took back the car and swapped the tires. I had 2 weeks on the X-Ice Xi3, on dry pavement, no snow, mild temperatures. The tires handled really well, Very tight. That being said, I also think they were inflated a bit high. Got the X-Ice Snow on - and they aren't quite the same road feel. A little more 'mush' per se, and a bit of give on the steering/road feel. BUT, they are also inflated a little lower/temps are now dropping a bit. Question - anyone had the X-Ice Xi3 AND X-Ice Snow to know if any difference in road feel? OR, if you have the X-Ice Snow, do you find the steering on pavement a little bit softer/mushier as per good snow tires? Just wanted to ensure there wasn't anything missed on the balancing of the tires as they just don't quite feel as tight as the Xi3's? Thanks!

CVODON

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I no longer go where it snows, when it's going to snow. But you keep mentioning air press high/low etc. Why didn't you correct this or at least check it to verify. Thinking they are low or to high proves nothing. Everyone should check every tire regularly and ESPECIALLY after someone else has set the pressure. Trust No One.

Truck Norris

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Sounds like a pressure thing more so than differences in the tire. In both cases they are still soft snow tires. I'm running Michelin Alpin PA4 winter tires on my sport to avoid the "mush" feeling as much as possible compared to the summer tires. No complaints, but even still tire pressure dramatically changes the feel of the tires in my case too.

MattyD

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Sounds like a pressure thing more so than differences in the tire. In both cases they are still soft snow tires. I'm running Michelin Alpin PA4 winter tires on my sport to avoid the "mush" feeling as much as possible compared to the summer tires. No complaints, but even still tire pressure dramatically changes the feel of the tires in my case too.
Hey Truck. Really appreciate the reply. I debated getting the Alpin tires too for that reason. I thought I won the lottery first time around on the X-ice Xi3’s as they felt so much better than what I am used to. But I think it was simply because they were a bit overinflated. And it was warm out so they heated up on top of that. PSI was in low/mid 40’s. So I do agree I think that is what I am now noticing more than anything. Curious what others inflate 4 square winters 18” on G70 sport at? Mine now seem to be 38

Truck Norris

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Mine are 4 square on 18's as well, I inflate to 36 but would also be interested in hearing what others do. I know (having done it in the past) you can call up Michelin and give the mass over each axle and your tires and they can help with inflation pressures. Less important with these small passenger tires but I've done it for 10ply truck tires and it helped.

Bhavie

Registered Member
Ontario
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I inflate the rears to 39 and front to 36. I just followed the PSI values recommended for the trims with the square 18in setup. Not sure if it's right or wrong but it's been alright so far. I might try 36 all around, as under inflating will provide more grip at the end of the day, which is important in the winter.

That being said can't really help OP. I do want to say that if the X-ice3's were overinflated and still had better grip and handling then that's really saying something. Over inflation should reduce grip. Increase the PSI in the Xice Snows and see how it rides.

MattyD

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I inflate the rears to 39 and front to 36. I just followed the PSI values recommended for the trims with the square 18in setup. Not sure if it's right or wrong but it's been alright so far. I might try 36 all around, as under inflating will provide more grip at the end of the day, which is important in the winter.

That being said can't really help OP. I do want to say that if the X-ice3's were overinflated and still had better grip and handling then that's really saying something. Over inflation should reduce grip. Increase the PSI in the Xice Snows and see how it rides.
Thanks for the reply. So I talked to a serious tire expert shop yesterday. He said the Xice snow are a superior tire in snow. Not pavement. Vice Versa on old XI3’s. Good on dry pavement not on snow. Hence the rubber is different tread is too. And road feel. In this moment I am clamoring for the road feel of originals. But believe once snow and winter arrive I will be happy. It’s just that the steering is almost active when I drive now. Was wonder if anyone had experienced new Xice snows to compare. Unless they didn’t balance them properly.

Truck Norris

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Balance has to do with vibration. Sounds like it is not your issue, rather wanting stiffer sportier tires (feeling of) VS. winters. There is no perfect tire, always a compromise one way or another. If your car is awd go with the sportiest winter tire available and you'll be limited by the ground clearance of your car before traction issues.

Truck Norris

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Following that I don't know how people drive on Pilot Sport PS4s and then go to a standard soft winter and basically change the complete handling of the car. It doesn't have to be that way.

Hellothere

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I've driven on X-I3 and VikingContact 7s. The VC7 should be similar to the new X-Ice Snow.

With the 3s vs VC7, definitely has more of the 'mushy' feeling on the VC7. Makes sense as better performance in snow means less performance on road (generally).

I run 225/45R18 with 36 Psi front and 39 rear. Definitely interested in trying the Michelin PA series or maybe the new Continental 870s coming next year. Of course won't be until a few years later when my current tires are done.

MattyD

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I've driven on X-I3 and VikingContact 7s. The VC7 should be similar to the new X-Ice Snow.

With the 3s vs VC7, definitely has more of the 'mushy' feeling on the VC7. Makes sense as better performance in snow means less performance on road (generally).

I run 225/45R18 with 36 Psi front and 39 rear. Definitely interested in trying the Michelin PA series or maybe the new Continental 870s coming next year. Of course won't be until a few years later when my current tires are done.
Thanks for this. Yes I am realizing more and more that is the case. So are you running 4 square in winter (is all 225/45R18)? If so curious on the PSI set up with 36 PSI front and 39 rear vs all the same? Is that what you were advised for the car? Mine are all set same PSI.

Hellothere

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks for this. Yes I am realizing more and more that is the case. So are you running 4 square in winter (is all 225/45R18)? If so curious on the PSI set up with 36 PSI front and 39 rear vs all the same? Is that what you were advised for the car? Mine are all set same PSI.
Square set up with the 225/45R18. I'm running 36 front, 39 rear mostly due to the manual making that recommendation. It's on the page where all the tire sizing is listed with recommended PSI along with PSI for high speed and max weight.

When I went into the dealership they filled 38 PSI all around.

MattyD

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks. Yes, dealership for me too filled them all around at 38 as well. I will check the manual too, maybe filling them like that will improve the road feel a bit too. Thanks!

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums