• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Wow, 6% of Amex Black Card Members have a Hyundai..

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Here is some other info:

6% of Black Card holders say they have a Hyundai in the garage. That’s tied with Bentley and Audi. Others on the list: BMW is tops with 22%; then Mercedes with 21%; Porsche with 15%; Lexus, 11%; Ferrari, 8%; and Acura, 7%.​

They probably have on average of 4-5 cars, including those their children drive, so not sure that is such a big surprise.

kn5owa

Sustaining Member
I have a AMEX black and I have 3 Hyundais. Most reliable brand we've ever owned.
I am impressed (not by the card), but - by your view of Hyundai's. The '15 Genny is my 3rd. and the quality control/reliability are really good. Most people on the forum seem fascinated by the gadgets (excuse me, "technology"), but there really is a very substantial vehicle under the veneer of toys to play with.

It's a real power trip to take a 4500 lb car around a curve with no swaying or leaning and plenty of power to carry you thru. Not to mention the excellent braking and steering.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Nice find Aquineas. Just goes to show that some people recognize value over (to steal a quote from another car comparison) "what might get you more action at the country club."

This Genesis is my first.
The statistic is probably completely misleading for the following reasons:
  1. The AMX black card is popular among wealthy Asians, including those from Korea.
  2. People who have an AMX black card probably have an average of 4-5 cars, many of which are for their children.

I would be interested to know how many AMX black card holders in the USA drive a Hyundai as their main car (not owned for use by children, etc).

As the saying goes, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

kn5owa

Sustaining Member
I did a check on the black card fees - Those and the huge deposit (excuse me, "initiation fee") look like the terms normally applied to people with bad credit.

Lucky me

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
I have a AMEX black and I have 3 Hyundais. Most reliable brand we've ever owned.
I agree regarding the reliability of the Hyundai Genesis. It is much better than BMW, Jaguar and Mercedes however on some maintenance items the cost is comparable. The 2011 Hyundai Genesis that we have got my attention right away regarding build quality and the power of the V8. And by the way, I don't have a black card but do have 5 vehicles.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
  1. The AMX black card is popular among wealthy Asians, including those from Korea.
  2. People who have an AMX black card probably have an average of 4-5 cars, many of which are for their children.

I would be interested to know how many AMX black card holders in the USA drive a Hyundai as their main car (not owned for use by children, etc).

Depends on whether the stats were just for the US or worldwide (seems more like the former).

Also, Asian-Americans (including Korean-Americans) tend to buy German for luxury and Japanese for mainstream.

But would agree that it is likely that a good % of AMEX black card holders own a Hyundai for their kids (which in itself is also saying something, since wouldn't want a child to drive a car that isn't safe/reliable).

consilius

Registered Member
Calgary, Alberta

Mine's Daily Driver. Got it with 89K in Jan of last year. Jan of this year, had 143K.

Had a Phaeton W12 before, Full size Range Rover, driven Bentley

Koolhaas

Registered Member
Houston
My father-in-law applied for a AMX-Black. That's the one with the 250k/year min, right?

He had to do a few phone interviews, and when he asked when he'd know if he got the card. They told him they'd tell him sometime in the next 6 months. He didn't like that, so he told them to cancel his application. He thought that the point of the Black was to have good customer service, but he felt he wasn't getting that in the interview process.

He has 4 cars at his main home in Texas, and 2 in California. None are Hyundai. He wont even buy a Bentley after I told him it was a re-badged VW.

consilius

Registered Member
Calgary, Alberta
My father-in-law applied for a AMX-Black. That's the one with the 250k/year min, right?

He had to do a few phone interviews, and when he asked when he'd know if he got the card. They told him they'd tell him sometime in the next 6 months. He didn't like that, so he told them to cancel his application. He thought that the point of the Black was to have good customer service, but he felt he wasn't getting that in the interview process.

He has 4 cars at his main home in Texas, and 2 in California. None are Hyundai. He wont even buy a Bentley after I told him it was a re-badged VW.
I'm still not sure how your father-in-law applied for the centurion card. It's via invitation only.

As far as the re-badged VW story, that is a little inaccurate. (I have experience with both.)

Koolhaas

Registered Member
Houston
I'm still not sure how your father-in-law applied for the centurion card. It's via invitation only.

As far as the re-badged VW story, that is a little inaccurate. (I have experience with both.)
It's invite only, but you can ask to be considered, if you meet the criteria. (yearly income of 1.3million plus a list of other mysterious check boxes )

You've had Bently and VW? The phaeton is the same platform as the Continental. After they quit making the Phaeton in Dresden, they started making the Bentleys in that factory. "Rebadge" is a oversimplified way of putting it. They did change the body and interior for the Bentley.

Though, i have seen images of Phaetons with the Bentley wheels and Bentley badging and no sign of VW anywhere on the car. I wonder if they did that for a short while or if that was just some people goofing off?

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums