• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

wtf is with $1115 in "dealer-installed equipment"

Truck Norris

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It's their bullshit way of saying they want another $1115.00 profit. It will likely come in the form of locking lug nuts, paint protection, leather/interior guard, admin fee..... and so on and so on...... If I was buying from them i'd say install nothing, I don't want any dealer installed items, and then just show me the invoice and see where the money gets "dumped" IE admin fees, registration, etc. Sort of a game, this is the bullshit Genesis Canada is trying to avoid with the fixed pricing.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

ventogt

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

lindros2

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
To clarify, it seems like Atlanta-area dealers are doing tinting (which I don't trust) and other crap.
I battled every Honda dealer on our Odyssey ($2k upcharge for mud flaps, side dent guards, winter mats, etc.), and finally went with the one who didn't charge me for it. That's the luxury of having 6-10 dealers within 40 miles of my house.
As an aside, I expect to deal with this shit on a mainstream Honda. But a Genesis?

cvandenhaute

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I never had to deal with this BS when buying 3 Mazdas, a BMW and a VW here in the US. The G70 is the first car I bought here in the US that I had to battle the dealer not to install any of the dealer crap and even more important not pay for it. You don't get that kind of treatment when you buy a BMW, the dealer experience is really the low point with this great car

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I never had to deal with this BS when buying 3 Mazdas, a BMW and a VW here in the US. The G70 is the first car I bought here in the US that I had to battle the dealer not to install any of the dealer crap and even more important not pay for it. You don't get that kind of treatment when you buy a BMW, the dealer experience is really the low point with this great car
Beware of anecdotal evidence considering I could google ‘bmw dealership addons’ and find examples of BS from other brands as well. As for more anecdotal evidence, my genesis dealership gave me add ons free of charge, immediately striking them off my invoice without me asking. So there’s that.

lindros2

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Beware of anecdotal evidence considering I could google ‘bmw dealership addons’ and find examples of BS from other brands as well. As for more anecdotal evidence, my genesis dealership gave me add ons free of charge, immediately striking them off my invoice without me asking. So there’s that.
I've purchased nine new cars myself, and seven for my wife, in my lifetime. Three of these were BMW products.
The only times we ended up with dealer crapware were:

1. 2004 Infiniti G35 - asked nicely, they removed it (floor mats)
2. 2009 Nissan GT-R - it was a factory package that was bundled on early cars; no way to remove (dealer "only" charged MSRP)
3. 2019 Honda Odyssey - had to call every dealer within 40 miles to find one who wouldn't charge $2500 for all the crap mentioned above

So I'm not sure about anecdotes or causation or causality or correlation, but this tends to be a trick by mainstream brands. The Infiniti thing pissed me off enough that I never returned, because, as with Genesis, I expected greater ethics and morals.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

cvandenhaute

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I am sure you can find horror stories with every brand, including Porsche but I had a G70 quoted from 3 dealerships and all 3 played these games, which actually never happened to me for the 5 other cars I bought in the US, that is solely my experience and it is a low point in the buying experience. That and the fact that dealers are really only looking at moving their own inventory, not go the extra mile to help you find a car that matches your spec (I ended up buying mine in Arizona and have it shipped to TN). My point is that Genesis needs to address that type of behavior from dealers if they want to be taken seriously as a luxury brand. I wanted my G70 so bad that I went the extra mile to find it, negotiate it and buy it but if I were the average luxury sedan shopper cross-shopping it with a BMW, Audi, Mercedes or Lexus, chances are that I would have given up early and go for the competition.

lindros2

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Blame the dealer, not the manufacturer. Automobile dealers in the US are independent business and are not owned by the manufacturer whose product they sell. They have a rather hefty stronghold too, just ask Tesla. They learned ethics and morals from their parents, not Genesis. Personally, I never met a car dealer that did not have sleazy tricks somewhere along the line, be it sales or service. If you shake hands, be sure to wash after.
That's a cop-out answer.
Tesla has, in fact, exposed the failures of the two- or three-tier system. (in reverse, so has Berkshire Hathaway, when they purchased a beer & wine distributor - Buffett's Berkshire buys beer, liquor distributor).

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I am sure you can find horror stories with every brand, including Porsche but I had a G70 quoted from 3 dealerships and all 3 played these games, which actually never happened to me for the 5 other cars I bought in the US, that is solely my experience and it is a low point in the buying experience. That and the fact that dealers are really only looking at moving their own inventory, not go the extra mile to help you find a car that matches your spec (I ended up buying mine in Arizona and have it shipped to TN). My point is that Genesis needs to address that type of behavior from dealers if they want to be taken seriously as a luxury brand. I wanted my G70 so bad that I went the extra mile to find it, negotiate it and buy it but if I were the average luxury sedan shopper cross-shopping it with a BMW, Audi, Mercedes or Lexus, chances are that I would have given up early and go for the competition.
very fair points and I agree. None of us want to see the brand die because of this kind of BS

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

ventogt

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I've purchased nine new cars myself, and seven for my wife, in my lifetime. Three of these were BMW products.
The only times we ended up with dealer crapware were:

1. 2004 Infiniti G35 - asked nicely, they removed it (floor mats)
2. 2009 Nissan GT-R - it was a factory package that was bundled on early cars; no way to remove (dealer "only" charged MSRP)
3. 2019 Honda Odyssey - had to call every dealer within 40 miles to find one who wouldn't charge $2500 for all the crap mentioned above

So I'm not sure about anecdotes or causation or causality or correlation, but this tends to be a trick by mainstream brands. The Infiniti thing pissed me off enough that I never returned, because, as with Genesis, I expected greater ethics and morals.
Don't worry--you bought the very last of the Infiniti cars that were actually worth a shit. You likely would not have wanted anything else post maybe G37. I haven't gone into the deep end with dealers quite yet as I'm waiting for the result of my VW buyback purchase request but once I do I'm hoping to not deal with too much bullshit. That said, my options are extremely limited as there are only 9 manuals in a 250 mile radius and the one I want is in NJ, the furthest dealer away.

Fingers crossed.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums