XPEL Paint Protection (or 3M) - Worth it?

Truck Norris

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm seriously considering having the XPEL Ultimate film applied to the front bumper, half hood, mirrors, fenders. It looks like an impressive product and the Mercedes AMG E-class wagon they were applying it on at the time looked incredible and the "self-healing function" somewhat works as described.

The price is a little more premium than I was expecting. Talking with the owner of a local company (looks well known) I was looking at $1,150.00 CAD taxes extra ($900 USD +/-).
For that money i'd be getting the XPEL Ultimate film kit for the bumper, half hood, half fenders, mirrors, and he'd custom apply to the grill surround (the black chrome), other chrome aero pieces on the lower front bumper, and the rear of the front fender. I'd also get a wax & polish.

Keep in mind along with the Canadian markup i'm also in Atlantic Canada and options are LIMITED to say the least.

Thoughts?

KurticusRex

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I'm looking to do the same when I take delivery. I'm in Chicago and requested several quotes from local auto detailing shops. The price here for the same coverage as yours (front bumper, partial hood, partial fenders, and mirrors) is $800 (two different places w/good reviews list this price on their websites for this package). So it seems pretty close to inline with what I'm looking at. I like that your guy is including the PPF on the grill surround - that's a really good idea. I'll need to ask my local shops if they could do the same.

I had it installed on my 2014 Scion FR-S (aka Subaru BRZ aka Toyota GT86). With the shit winters here, gobs of road salt and sand, and debris kicked up by cars and trucks from the poorly maintained streets, the front of the car still looked in great shape after 3 years. No chips, no dings in the paint where the PPF was installed.

I will be leasing my G70 because of the $3,000 lease cash from Genesis right now, combined with either Circle A pricing or just standard negotiation, I plan to keep this car more than the lease so the PPF is a long term investment in keeping the car in the best shape possible considering the climate and road conditions here.

Truck Norris

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks for the reply, looks like the cost in on par. I'm a little late to the game here, my car has 13,000km and I have a chip or two on the front and notice every single blemish these days. This seems to be the answer.

Talking with the shop they would have to custom apply to the grill surround and the other "chrome" on the lower half of the bumper, near the bottom. I have some wear on these areas so asked they be applied and it was somewhat thrown into the price. It would be custom applied, and the grill would likely have seams in the "corners" at the transitions. I'll post pictures if I follow through, but overall the seams are barely visible as it is from what I saw.

Ernie3647

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Middletown NY
On my 2015 Genesis Ultimate I had the front and complete hood wrapped. On my Santa Fe I did the same. It’s a great product but like you said pricey. My Genesis and Santa Fe made numerous trips to Florida from NY many times. Driving behind trucks often and plenty of road debris. Plenty of stones hit the hood. When I traded in my Ultimate for my G70 it looked like it did when I first brought it home. So, I got a good trade in on it. My Santa Fe a 2017 is the same the front and hood still look new. It works. On my G70 I went a different route. I chose the dealers Poly Steel option on the car. Of course the price is nowhere as much as the Xpel wrap. I pondered this for a long time. The advantage is never having to polish the car for 6 years. Everything just rinses off. The disadvantage is it does not have the same protection against hard debris like stones that kick up behind trucks. I might still bite the bullet and go for the Xpel. It’s worked so good for me in the past.

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks for the reply, looks like the cost in on par. I'm a little late to the game here, my car has 13,000km and I have a chip or two on the front and notice every single blemish these days. This seems to be the answer.

Talking with the shop they would have to custom apply to the grill surround and the other "chrome" on the lower half of the bumper, near the bottom. I have some wear on these areas so asked they be applied and it was somewhat thrown into the price. It would be custom applied, and the grill would likely have seams in the "corners" at the transitions. I'll post pictures if I follow through, but overall the seams are barely visible as it is from what I saw.
I'm very curious how this turns out for you. The chrome trim pieces in the front of my car are in pretty rough shape after the car spent a winter by the Edmonton airport as a test driver. I'll be replacing the lower dark chrome pieces near the bumper and one of the boomerangs at minimum, and some means of protecting them would be ideal, as they seem to be pretty soft/easy to dent.

soundman414

Registered Member
Chicago, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm looking to do the same when I take delivery. I'm in Chicago and requested several quotes from local auto detailing shops. The price here for the same coverage as yours (front bumper, partial hood, partial fenders, and mirrors) is $800 (two different places w/good reviews list this price on their websites for this package). So it seems pretty close to inline with what I'm looking at. I like that your guy is including the PPF on the grill surround - that's a really good idea. I'll need to ask my local shops if they could do the same.

I had it installed on my 2014 Scion FR-S (aka Subaru BRZ aka Toyota GT86). With the shit winters here, gobs of road salt and sand, and debris kicked up by cars and trucks from the poorly maintained streets, the front of the car still looked in great shape after 3 years. No chips, no dings in the paint where the PPF was installed.

I will be leasing my G70 because of the $3,000 lease cash from Genesis right now, combined with either Circle A pricing or just standard negotiation, I plan to keep this car more than the lease so the PPF is a long term investment in keeping the car in the best shape possible considering the climate and road conditions here.
I recently got a quote from Tinting Chicago. Also, hello to a fellow former Chicago based 86 owner as well, now G70 owners!

See below:

#2 - we use Xpel and 3M for the PPF with a 10 years warranty.

The price for the whole front hood $550, both fenders $600 and front bumper $350. Let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Tinting Chicago
773-455-0467 ( 7053 W Belmont Ave, Chicago IL 60634)
312-212-0493 ( 2720 W Grand Ave, Chicago IL 60612)

contact@tintingchicago.com
www.tintingchicago.com

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Pickle

Crunchy and Sour
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have XPel on my G70:
full hood, front fenders, bumper, side mirrors and various other leading edges.

It's saved me from multiple rock strikes and the unforgiving Canadian winter. I park my car outside (yes, I'm horrible) and snow/water just slides right off. After several months of daily use, I have yet to see a chip, scratch, ding or anything else on the protected surfaces.

I'd recommend it.

KurticusRex

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
This was found by someone else earlier, but I figured some people may see it as an option to do it yourself.

3M PRO Series PreCut Paint Protection Film Clear Bra Kit for Genesis G70 2019 | eBay

I understand that not everyone would feel confortable doing such a thing though or even trust this product compared to Xpel. Even so, I'm considering doing it myself given that price.
That's a good price on the material. I like the *idea* of DIY install, but I don't like the risk of me f***ing it up since I've never done anything like it. I guess it makes sense most of the cost of a PPM install is the labor and experience that goes along with it. If you end up DIY, take lots of PICS!

KurticusRex

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I recently got a quote from Tinting Chicago. Also, hello to a fellow former Chicago based 86 owner as well, now G70 owners!

See below:

The price for the whole front hood $550, both fenders $600 and front bumper $350. Let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Tinting Chicago

www.tintingchicago.com
I got another quote yesterday from LUSTR. Really expensive but I think they are geared toward higher end clients. I'll dig up the other quotes I received and post them here as a separate reply.

***Email from LUSTR***

Thank you for contacting LUSTR. Below is some info that we send to all new clients. The partial front PPF would be around $900. Ceramic coatings are listed below and start at $425. Detailing before coating would be the enhancement detail for around $450, unless the paint is in bad shape and needs paint correction which is around $1000.

Please let me know if you have any questions and when you'd like to schedule a service or assessment.

Thanks and onto the info...

We look forward to giving your Genesis the best treatments available. Before scheduling a service, we offer and recommend a free assessment to better determine your concerns and get a good idea of the overall condition. This way we can decide on a service based on our recommendation as well as your budget and expectations for enhancing the look of the vehicle.

Below is a general service and price list. While the final price is usually similar to the estimates below, it can sometimes increase due to variables such as contamination, tar removal and paint type.

2019 Genesis G70:

Paint Coatings (application only)... 22PLE $425 / CQuartz Pro $775 / CQuartz Finest Reserve $1100
Paint Correction... Level 1 $1000, Level 2 $1450
Enhancement Detail... $450
Decontamination Detail... $225
Maintenance Detail... $100 (Paint sealant available for $45)
Wheel Coating... Faces only $125-150 / Full wheels off detail and coating $300-350 (4 wheels)
Glass Coating... Windshield only $100 / All exterior glass $300
Interior Coatings... Cloth Seats $175 / Fabric Carpeting $175

KurticusRex

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

See below:

Best regards,

Tinting Chicago

www.tintingchicago.com
Here's the price sheet I got from Tinting Chicago previously. Same as what you quoted, but I guess it depends if you do FULL hood and fenders vs. partial hood and fenders.

Attachments

KurticusRex

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

See below:

Best regards,

Tinting Chicago

www.tintingchicago.com
Here's a copy of the price sheet I got from Ziebart. They are notably cheaper than other places - so I'm a little concerned if they do the same quality of work vs. a Tinting Chicago or others.

Attachments

RapidsNetwork

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Nazlahe

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
We have Suntek PPF one of our cars.. (Similar protection to xpel, but greater ootical clarity) It's been pretty impressive so far, especially the self healing. I've taken quite a few rock hits on the freeway that have scratched and gouged the film. An hour in the sun and it looks like it did when it was first installed.

KurticusRex

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I requested a quote from a few shops for front bumper, fenders, headlights, mirrors and entire hood PPF.

These are New York prices 😅

$2,500 ( custom ) - not sure
$1,950 ( precut ) - Suntek
$1,700 ( custom ) - not sure
$1,600 ( precut ) - xpel

Have to make my decision next week due to majority of highway driving!

I sincerely hope you have a New York salary to go along w/those New York prices. Yikes!