Yes, another "alignment" issue(?)

.xs1

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Hey guys(y),

I have a 2013 Genesis R-Spec 5.0 sedan & I'm baffled by a mysterious "alignment" issue. I will start by saying auto mechanics is my profession.. but im looking for some suggestions. The car physically pulls right. It's not a "general drift" its a real pull. Alignment specs are not terrible. Camber is neg. on both sides (all sedans are) , caster is within .1* of the other side.. ( 7.0/6.9 I believe, I left the printout at work). SAI is fine. Setback is fine. It's not an alignment issue. I have already replaced the following:

- struts & springs
- upper control arms (r/f)
- brakes (pr&c)
- tires ( total of 10 now, trouble shooting) (( cross rotation makes 0 difference))
- r/f spindle & knuckle asy.

No change in pull, altho caster and camber did come significantly closer to "spec".

Have had multiple alignments, no change. Steering angle sensor reset; no change; Even went silly with it and set 3½* of cross-toe opposite direction in the rear ( 6* total); still pulls right. The steering wheel will walk right on 2 of the 3 road crowns. Left hand road crown = drives straight. center line = slight pull right; right hand road crown = a work out to keep straight;

Other than the steering rack... im at a loss.... could fixing the camber with shims help? (camber is currently -1.5l -1.9r) the damn car/ wheel will not stay straight. I have a couple videos showing what it does.. any suggestions would be appreciated.....

PS: If you dont have anything nice or useful to say, please refrain from saying anything at all. Thanks in advance!

1) 20210720-201831_RqDqs0cs_xwIa (1).mp4

2) 20210720_202053.mp4

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
No solutions here, but I'll share what I know from my experience with this.

-1.9R is about a what one would set for a track alignment, and likely the culprit IMO.

Both my and my father's '12 4.6's do the same, but to a much lesser degree than your videos. On a left crowned highway they will both track straight or slightly left. Dead level very slight right pull. Mine always has done this, but not to a significant enough degree for me to throw money at it. No accidents on either car, 88k and 27k miles respectively. Dad's car seemed to be a touch worse after installing a fresh set of tires last week, FWIW, but not worse than my car.

After I replaced my last set of Pilot Super Sports with MPS4S's after both MPSS fronts corded the inners when the outer was at 1-2/32, I asked if the toe out was the reason. The alignment tech said toe was fine, but the negative front camber was the issue (-1.2 IIRC), and was not adjustable. Said I'd have to go to aftermarket camber plates, shims, mod the struts or control arms, or a similar route to fix it.

Makes one wonder if a strut tower brace would help... or if the springs are sagging as the cars age. But you have replaced springs so <headscratch>.

Please post again with any updates!

toxicavenger70

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Have you rotated the front rims to the back and tried it? I have to say that camber is a little high for the front end imo. I would shoot for right below 1. Camber shims might be your only option.

.xs1

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Thanks guys for the replies. ordered a shim kit ( 2 actually) we will see what happens! I'll keep you posted.

210611121-609827473334920-6714922315999898460-n.jpg

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners